MLS Definition of Winning %

youllneverwalkalone

Can anyone put forward a good argument for the North American definition of winning percentage which weights draws as 0.5 of win? I understand winning % in basketball and baseball where there are no draws, but for soccer -which give 3 points for a victory- it makes no sense whatsoever.

Then again, if your club had 5 victories, 4 defeats, and 4 draws, and you said "We're one game over 500," I would understand what you're saying. Still, to claim you have a 53.8% winning percentage is false. Does "One game over 500" even make sense given that you've drawn 4 times. Probably not, I'd say.

I suppose NHL hockey is really to blame for this expression/calculation. Though with the modern shoot-out, it seems that MLS is the only league using this false logic.

Thoughts?

The first few years of the shootout, when a team would have a record of, say, 13-13-4 (W-L-OTL), it frustrated me to no end to hear/read the old time hacks saying that the team was at .500. When of course the team had 13 wins and 17 losses.

But to comment on your question, why pay any attention to winning percentage at all when points are all that matter?

^What about career and/or interleague comparisions. If Tony Pulis gets 50 points in the Premier League, he's a local hero. 50 points in the CCC, and he's likely sacked. Not only because of the difference in level, but because of the 8 fewer games in the EPL. If he has a 45% winning percentage in the CCC, and is able to maintain that in the EPL, I'd be pretty impressed. If Chris Cummings puts a 50% winning percentage on his resume for TFC, he's techincally correct in North America, but it would be grossly misleading to the rest of the football world.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

It is percentage of points won that matter. If you play 30 games you have a possible 90 points available.

N=games played

X=points you have

(X/(N*3))*100 = % of points taken

I like the 3 for a win and 1 for a draw rule. That does encourage teams to play for the win.

The NHL should adopt it.

Archived