New FIFA Ranking, Nov. 20

Tuscan

So we've dropped down to 57 from 53, which doesn't really change anything. I think before it'll make a difference we need to rank higher than Costa Rica, who are 10 spots ahead of us at 47. If we can take 4th in CONCACAF away from them, we'll be regarded as a top seed and should avoid another group of death situation.

Here's to hoping we start bringing home positive results in the 33* friendlies we have left before WCQ2012.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/compare/compareteams.html#g=m&t1=CAN&t2=HON&t3=CRC&t4=SLV&dRange=3&fm=11&fy=2005&tm=11&ty=2009

*not likely, but worth dreaming about

On SoccerCentral today Dobson had an interview with Hart prior to the game with Macedonia. Hart said that they will be picking up many friendly games next year. Hopefully they are thinking about the ranking and the best possible scenarios for 2014. They also expect a coaching decision in short order.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

So we've dropped down to 57 from 53, which doesn't really change anything. I think before it'll make a difference we need to rank higher than Costa Rica, who are 10 spots ahead of us at 47. If we can take 4th in CONCACAF away from them, we'll be regarded as a top seed and should avoid another group of death situation.

You need to be 3rd in order to be top seed.

Top 6 ranking is the key. Our ranking at the time of seeding for the last two WCQ campaigns has been out of the top 6 - and so get stuck with 2 of the top 6 in our semi-final group of 4 - Honduras and Costa Rica in 2004 (qualifying for WC 2006) and Honduras and Mexico in 2008 (qualifying for WC 2010). The key is to stay top 6 to grab a 1st or 2nd seed in one of the 3 qualifying semifinal groups.

quote:Originally posted by nedved9

I hope they play more freindlies next year. The more difficult the opponant the better. And hopefully some games in Canadian Cities.;)

I disagree TBH. I used to say the same thing, but after seeing us put in a very good performance against Brazil and then look awful against Jamaica and Honduras, what we need is to play these Central American and Caribbean teams that we need to beat to get to the World Cup.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived