McKenna as a Striker

Tuscan

Big Kev hasn't featured for us up front for quite a long while. Seeing as how friend, our other friendly giant, is struggling to do much of anything up there, why not give Kevin a chance next friendly? After taking a look at Lord Bob's scoring summary by striker table, Kevin has managed to produce for us a few times, more than Friend, so why not? He doesn't have the speed for D, and he ends up at the front on set plays and corners already anyway.

Bring on the reasons why this is a ludicrous idea, cuz I'd like to hear 'em.

It's not a bad idea.

The two problems I see is that we are weak at CB and that Kevin rarely plays striker at the club level. So, if we have someone else who's playing forward with his club at a decent level, I think that someone will probably be selected ahead of Kevin.

^Less than graceful but dangerous?

Two things come to mind.

1st, to my mind our problem of late isn't so much that our big targets aren't effective because they're useless monkeys. It's that we simply aren't supporting and utilizing them properly. That is to say not just as goal-scorers but at least as importantly, and traditionally to their greatest effect, as dangerous diversions. A part of the plan, but just that, a part.

So the performances of that type of player isn't something you can view in isolation. We haven't been knitting together our attacking assets effectively and that isn't entirely down to the big men. Not by a long shot. Other, shorter (and quicker) fellows haven't been supporting or thriving off the big men in a way that they could or should.

2nd. Big Kev's days up front, outside of set pieces and late match desperation, are behind him. He may still be our most dangerous man in the attacking box on set pieces, but his eye and brain have been focused on less glorious tasks these past few years. Extended play as a target forward just isn't his sharpest programing anymore.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

So the performances of that type of player isn't something you can view in isolation. We haven't been knitting together our attacking assets effectively and that isn't entirely down to the big men. Not by a long shot. Other, shorter (and quicker) fellows haven't been supporting or thriving off the big men in a way that they could or should.

I agree. It doesn't matter if it has been Gerba, Friend, or even Hume vs South Africa in 07, or Jackson starting at the GC 09: it seems to be a systematic thing where the centre guy up front in the 4-3-3 too often seems unsupported because the flank players are playing more as wingbacks and the player designated as the attacking mid is AWOL.

Our problem is not strikers. We don't have a world class striker who can do everything on his own but we have enough decent guys who could score if they are getting service. What we have lacked is a dominant, creative midfielder who can control and organize our attack. If TFC gets rid of Guevera and starts employing JDG in this role maybe he could be that player. He has shown flashes of being able to perform in this role but is very inconsistent probably (or hopefully) because he has been playing a completely different role at club level. The only other player I can see effective at this in the near future would be his brother if he decided to play for Canada.

^I think De Guzman can do the job: he has a fair array of playmaking skills and like you say he probably needs to be put into that role more often at club level to develop the consistency needed. However, to avoid his being dropped into a deeper lying mid position at MNT level we need a strong holding mid to emerge, preferably an anchoring/ball winning type who can consistently road block opposition counterattacks and then move the ball in an efficient manner to the guys who can make things happen offensively.

Regardless of his size, McKenna's managed to find the back of the net for us a few more times than most, so I see no harm in at least considering putting him up front for even a single half, just to see how he'd fare. Of course, if he isn't down for it, then the tactic ends there.

On another note, I wonder how a Jackson - Radz combo up top would work? Both are high energy and played the best in the striking position against Poland, so I wonder how they might complement each other out there.

Archived