Confirmed: Round 3 grouping screwed Canada

red card

With all teams now qualified, looking back at the groups in Round 3

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/standings/round3.html

Canada's group had 2 teams qualify while nobody made it Group 3 and only 1 from Group 1.Just as everyone thought here, CONCACAF continues to screw everyone other than the big wigs.

Time to shift to 2 groups of 6. Carry forward results to HEX of matches against teams that advanced if too many matches and costs are a concern.

Canada certainly didn't deserve to qualify on merit, but I think we get just as far as Costa Rica did if we had their group (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Haiti, Suriname). That group was a travesty.

The fact remains, though, that if we can't beat whoever is more on form between Honduras and CR, let alone Jamaica, we won't qualfiy.

Let's determine our own destiny this time through picking up points from friendlies. Quite frankly, if it will give us enough points to do so, in the last year or so coming up to WCQ2012, we should play a ton of minnows that we can beat (wait... a flaw in the plan arises) just to get the points so that when the groups get drawn, we won't end up in yet another group of death. This is a terrible strategy and probably won't prepare the boys enough for the qualifiers, but hopefully it'll at least give us a better chance next time 'round.

I do think there'a legit argument to make against CONCACAF qualifying format. It could be better organized but this time around it's Jamaica who should complain not us.

IMO, having 2 groups of 6 (with the round 3 teams) with the winner of both group qualifying directly for the WC and having a 2 vs 3 kind of playoff with the winners battling for the 3rd and 4th spot (.5) would be a better way to settle things out.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I do think there'a legit argument to make against CONCACAF qualifying format. It could be better organized but this time around it's Jamaica who should complain not us.

IMO, having 2 groups of 6 (with the round 3 teams) with the winner of both group qualifying directly for the WC and having a 2 vs 3 kind of playoff with the winners battling for the 3rd and 4th spot (.5) would be a better way to settle things out.

I like your idea. Your format would cut down on the total number of qualifiers that teams play, bringing the final round of WCQ in CONCACAF more in line with the qualifying format in UEFA.

Would be great 2groups of 6. Top team qualifies automatically from each group. Then the 2nd place teams from both groups get the third spot(the team with most points) while the other 2nd gets a playoff spot against another confederation.

The only thing would be US and Mexico would probably be seeded automatically in each group respectively. But at least that's a 10games scenario......

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Let's determine our own destiny this time through picking up points from friendlies. Quite frankly, if it will give us enough points to do so, in the last year or so coming up to WCQ2012

I agree with this first part of your comments. We need to get our asses in the top 4 of Cancacaf on a regular basis. This will ensure that Mexico and US will not be in our group and allow us to take our own destiny. I always think we can pick up points against the big 2, but we should pick up points against the rest if we deserve to make the world cup sometime in the future

I also think this would be the best format, but I'd lean to make it first of each group qualify, with second place teams battling it out for 3 & 4, although that might eliminate some teams early on.

However, CONCACAF wants to have Mexico-US and this format would put them as #1 seeds in each group, ensuring they would not meet except possibly in the Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

FIFA and jack fkn warner screwed us out of 10 absolutely priceless games through which we could have developed players and raised some attention and money for our program. and we might qualified too, who knows.

I know you said jack fkn warner, but what I heard was dale fkn mitchell.

Changing the qualification system means little until we start picking up maximum points at home. The last two home wins we've had came in the early qualifying rounds. In the semi-final stage, we haven't won a home game since October 2000, when we beat Panama in Winnipeg.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

Being in the top 6 at least ensures that we're not with Mexico/Honduras or USA/Costa Rica or something like that.

Not 100%. Costa Rica/Honduras could have an off year at some point with some bad results and have a bad ranking. For instance, if CONCACAF had chosen the November 2007 ranking for seeding (with Canada 4th) instead of the May 2007 ranking (Canada in 11th), this is how the first group stage would have looked like:

Group 1: USA, Trinidad and Tobago, Haiti, Cuba

Group 2: Mexico, Costa Rica, Canada, Guatemala

Group 3: Honduras, Jamaica, El Salvador, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Costa Rica were 7th in CONCACAF at that time.

You need to be 3rd to avoid a Mexico-USA/Honduras-Costa Rica.

Archived