Things we learned from these friendlies

Scottie

I'll start this one off.

1. Our team looks like 11 men on the field that don't work too well together. We already knew this, as lack of games is always an issue for us. There are a number of things that could be improved easily just by having the team training and playing together more often. Some examples include corners, free kicks, defensive organization, etc. Too many wasted corners.

2. Hume and Jackson (or someone else) need to practice their penalties. A lot.

3. As I was harping on in the match thread, we need a goalscorer. Until someone succeeds Gerba in this respect, he is the man. We all know he can score goals in a Canada kit, which is something no one else in our player pool does.

4. My god do we ever need a goalkeeper who's getting some playing time. Lars looked really rusty today, even though none of his miscues resulted in a goal. Here's hoping for an injury to the starter at Cottbus.

5. McKenna and Stalteri seem to be losing it, it kills me to say. Jakovic is looking good for the future though.

6. Peters and Simpson are very effective when it comes to speed down the wing but still haven't figured out what to do once they get near the byline. Not sure what can be done about this.

Anything else? Thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

I'll start this one off.

1. Our team looks like 11 men on the field that don't work too well together. We already knew this, as lack of games is always an issue for us. There are a number of things that could be improved easily just by having the team training and playing together more often. Some examples include corners, free kicks, defensive organization, etc. Too many wasted corners.

2. Hume and Jackson (or someone else) need to practice their penalties. A lot.

3. As I was harping on in the match thread, we need a goalscorer. Until someone succeeds Gerba in this respect, he is the man. We all know he can score goals in a Canada kit, which is something no one else in our player pool does.

4. My god do we ever need a goalkeeper who's getting some playing time. Lars looked really rusty today, even though none of his miscues resulted in a goal. Here's hoping for an injury to the starter at Cottbus.

5. McKenna and Stalteri seem to be losing it, it kills me to say. Jakovic is looking good for the future though.

6. Peters and Simpson are very effective when it comes to speed down the wing but still haven't figured out what to do once they get near the byline. Not sure what can be done about this.

Anything else? Thoughts?

Players we shouldn't call anymore: Hastings, Stalteri, McKenna

Hirschfeld is a great shot stopper and his bad handling and judgment of crosses improved considerably in the 2nd half. I'm not entirely uncomfortable with him.

The biggest thing for me is that Julian looked very much like a guy who has only played a dozen or so matches this year.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

I so totally agree with those two points. What can be done is getting them more support from the MF, they must adjust their pace to match theirs and here we go again, that will develop only with more playing time together. As for the keeper, I have no real problems in letting Lars there but JW is no way worse than Lars IMO, so because he's 7 years younger I'd give him more playing time. But if by some miracle Lars finally gets some playing time with Cottbus (or any future team) and Josh keeps on using only his ass in games, then I guess we're gonna have no choice but to start Lars again and again for the next cycle. Except if Monsalve is up to the task of course but he's still a bit young. But if he's the canadian keeper who gets the most playing time among the three, then give him a serious try. The key here is playing time at club level as for a keeper chemistry with teammates is less a factor.

Guest Jeffery S.

Good points all, I only saw the first half today.

We play with too much distance between our lines in attack and too little in defence. You cannot play a two flat lines in a 4-4-2, you have to create triangles and we did a bit but not enough.

As soon as you get the ball on a big pitch like that you have to send at least one outside back up high on a side. You have to know which mid is coming back to receive and start the play as the priority, and which is the second option. Once the mid receives from the back there has to be a pass back, one to the wings, and one to the supporting mid. Always.

In defence you need one to stand in front of the midfield line and work as the connecting piece between attack and midfield. Maybe this should be Atiba, but he would have to pressure their defensive mids and work to connect up high. We did not do that, there was just putting players in a position but not defining their movement with and without the ball.

Atiba and JDG have always been terrible backing up, they both have the condition to anticipate the ball movement and attack it, but they don't, they play like basketball players defending a long shot, just standing in between sometimes. Especially frustrating to see Julian moving into the defensive mid position, back and forth, without biting, hardly ever.

If you have a mid who is in fact an attacker, that is fine, but how do you want to play, with a false attacker or a false mid? That is the difference between our 4-4-2 today and a 4-3-3 with Peters always up high and only coming back to cover his side defensively. Almost prefer it, it was the old Yallop way in fact.

We need to play more together and Hart has to work hard on the team he wants and the play he wants.

Stalteri will be called until he gets the caps record

Then, maybe he'll disappear...

What did guys that watched the Macedonia game thought about Wagenaar performance ?

According to the CSA release (yeah, I know...) he looked very good despite of the three goals, but I want confirmation of that of course

We need to have a fixed system. I think the 4-3-3 with JDG-Bernier-Hutch has proved to be good.

The 4-4-2 in Poland was weak.

Then, Hart (or a new coach) has to make all his decisions to build in function of this system.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

We need to have a fixed system. I think the 4-3-3 with JDG-Bernier-Hutch has proved to be good.

Then, Hart (or a new coach) has to make all his decisions to build in function of this system.

Well, these are the matches where you can experiment somewhat so I'm fine with the manager trying something different.

One theme I noticed in both game threads as well as in the last number of international matches, competitive or otherwise, appears to be the lack of physicality in our squad. For instance, this midfield could use a really strong, instinctive ball winning defensive presence, especially if we want to play some variation of a 4-4-2 or midfield diamond, what have you. If we had such a player than we could give his partner (either De Guzman or Hutchinson), more license in the attacking end of things. But until that type of player emerges, I suspect we'll be seeing that 4-3-3 that downshifts into a 4-5-1, with the flank attackers taking on more defensive responsibilities and allowing the midfield trio to be more compact in the middle of the park.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Stalteri will be called until he gets the caps record

Then, maybe he'll disappear...

What did guys that watched the Macedonia game thought about Wagenaar performance ?

According to the CSA release (yeah, I know...) he looked very good despite of the three goals, but I want confirmation of that of course

masster, who was at the game, described his performance as a good one for a keeper who isn't playing much with his club. The highlights I've seen seems to confirm that.

One thing we definitely learned is that we need to play more friendlies thoughout the year to get some solid chemisty for our boys. We will never be able to perform consistently at the larger stage unless we get a solid core going. Props to the CSA for landing two games against challenging opposition. We needed to get the rust off our feet right away so we can start preparing for 2014. Now lets see if this was a one off period or if we are going to see more of the same in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing I came away with the most from these 2 games is that we simply aren't very good right now. With the exception of De Rosario and maybe Johnson, that was our A lineup that we had and we looked awful overall. There were virtually no real scoring chances from open play in two games. Even shots toward goal were at a premium. This was a real step back after the Gold Cup.

Archived