MLS Cup

jasonm

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Things change, there fans are sick of being mistreated. Remember how long the attendance was for them in the Champions league? Hell this year in the playoffs they only got 7,416

Oh I agree with you. The New England market has been driven into the ground by ridiculoously cheap/uncaring ownership.

That said, The Revs hold the MLS Cup attendance record, something the "Do No Wrong Sounders " couldn't top. I was just saying. [:P]

really? I was at that meeting, I admit very really hung over from the nigth before. And my notes say the questions were in order:

1) Why doesn't the League have unified rules for travelling supporters? (Meaning assigned sections, rules on what can be brought in, etc)

2) What is the league doing to improve their product? (TV, pitch quality, players)

3) Can we have away sections?

4) Can we follow the away calender?

5) Can we allow both Canadian and US players be domestic

6) Can we have an extra asian DP like the J-League

7) Why can't we have more DPS? and more local talent?

8) What is the league doing to promote supporters

9) Can every team have a salesperson that specializes in away tickets?

10) Can AA the offical airline of the MLS actually give fans a discount?

11) Can we get rid of "East" and "west" and just name the confrences?

12) Can we get more stuff in stores?

13) Can we have promotion and relegation?

14) Can we have sports bettering?

It was the MLS article on the meeting with Garber that stated that the supporters groups wanted the game to no longer be played at a neutral location. The questions you list are a real mix of good and lame questions. Why the hell would the league want an extra Asian DP and why would this be a concern of supporters groups anyway?

Sorry I was too lazy to type it all out. In the J-League they are allowed an extra DP that is from their own confederation. So could MLS teams get an extra DP from CONCACAF.

I still find that a very poor idea and against the idea of MLS developing domestic talent for the national teams. Being allowed to sign an extra DP from the country the team is located in might be a good idea though.

Also in regard to your earlier comments, I am fully aware that they got more people in Seattle for the game than they would have at most clubs smaller home fields although the new to MLS and Beckham factors have to be factored in as well. What I am saying is that having a stadium full of home fans cheering on the team instead of neutral ones would be a much more valuable marketing tool in attracting non-MLS fans to the league who may watch the game on tv or see highlights on sports shows. This is worth more than the extra 20 000 seats. Plus there is the added ticket sales that would result the following year for the club that is hosting the final especially if they won. That is the way that they can give boosts to various markets which can help develop the area as a strong soccer market. Had they had the game in LA this year instead of last year it would have done a lot more to promote the two LA teams neither of whom are filling their stadium.

US and Canadian labour laws would never allow it anyway.

An employer in the US cannot give preference to a foreigner based solely on his nationality. Same rules up here.

An extra Canadian DP for the Canadian clubs and an extra American DP for the American clubs would be allowed, but that might be complicated when that team travels across the border.

As for Grizzly's point about neutral venues, what needs to be remembered is that MLS uses the Cup weekend as a showcase for sponsors/league partners as well. Getting them all together at a predetermined place is a lot easier than getting them together to a place known only 6-7 days previous.

That weighs in heavily with MLS' planning as well.

Archived