Nov. 14th, Macedonia vs Canada (game thread)

loyola

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by redhat

CSA match report here:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/game_profile.asp?gameId=1782

"We struggled on set plays," said Hart. "They were bigger and stronger than us. They were beating us up on corners."

Ironically, it looked like one of the biggest guys on the pitch for either team, McKenna, was one of the least dominant in the air (judging from the lowlights I saw on Youtube). But Hart's comment gives further credence to the fact that this seems a pretty lightweight group on the defensive side of things.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

"We struggled on set plays," said Hart. "They were bigger and stronger than us. They were beating us up on corners."

Ironically, it looked like one of the biggest guys on the pitch for either team, McKenna, was one of the least dominant in the air (judging from the lowlights I saw on Youtube). But Hart's comment gives further credence to the fact that this seems a pretty lightweight group on the defensive side of things.

I just watched that youtube video... I knew the feed was choppy but I hadn't realized how much I missed. For instance I never noticed how much bigger their centre forward was than McKenna or Hastings. McKenna is tall but I think their forward was on the Ali Gerba diet. They just had him stand in the penalty area and drove near post crosses at his head. Our boys didn't want anything to do with him. He had 3 or 4 excellent opportunities in the first half before scoring the goal on exactly the same play at the beginning of the 2nd half. Both of our centrebacks definitely need to grow a pair before the Poland match.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Here's Gerry Dobson comments about the game:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/11/14/dobson_canada_macedonia/

I disagree with Gerry on a couple of points.

1. The stadium was not the worst thing in the world. As a structure, I would take it over Swangard. It doesn't have a scoreboard but so what. On a day like Saturday, that was probably a good thing. It is true that the pitch was crap but a player like Goran Pandev who has more quality than anybody on our roster, scored two goals on that pitch. If it is good enough for him, it should be fine for our guys.

2. I don't think Wagenaar was stellar. He made one fine save and after that, Macedonia made him look good as the shots were right at him. He only came for one cross (that I recall) and he missed it. He whifed on a pass back and spilled a shot or two. Those errors weren't punished but they could have been. His performance was fine. A decent game from a young keeper who isn't playng much.

Archived