Nov. 14th, Macedonia vs Canada (game thread)

loyola

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Listen, until we have to either shovel snow off the pitch again or construct the stadium ourselves out of leaves and mud, Estonia will always be number one on any crappy friendly list.

Besides, Cyprus earlier this year had no television or radio at all. We just had to refresh the CSA's gametracker page.

My rebuttal is simple. After we lost to Estonia and people from other countries laughed at me for being Canadian, I blamed the snow and it worked. We didn't lose against Cyprus. What will I tell them after Macedonia...what will any of us...tell them...after Macedonia? [:0][:0]

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Dang, I knew I should have put in the tongue and cheek smilie.

Actually, I didn't even seen your post but I was respoonding to 2 others who were alluding to cap-tying....anyways I don't really care how Macedonia used their keepers [:P]

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Actually, I didn't even seen your post but I was respoonding to 2 others who were alluding to cap-tying....anyways I don't really care how Macedonia used their keepers [:P]

I forgot my tongue and cheek smilie as well.......i thought the sarcasm would shine....

quote:Originally posted by Soju

My rebuttal is simple. After we lost to Estonia and people from other countries laughed at me for being Canadian, I blamed the snow and it worked. We didn't lose against Cyprus. What will I tell them after Macedonia...what will any of us...tell them...after Macedonia? [:0][:0]

How about that the Dutch only beat them 2-1 in Macedonia. Scotland lost to them their and that if they think that beating a middling Euro team at home is an easy thing to do that they should shut the f uck up, go back to matching ManU, and talk to you after they spend two hours watching a crappy web feed to support a team that in no way is sexy, but that is actually yours.

Or, you could just not give a crap what anyone else thinks.

I couldn't really tell how poorly we played (other than the score).

The choppy stream was pretty painful; every two seconds and it's a different side of the pitch. The missed penalties though (Hume and Jackson?) was probably indicative of the intensity of our players.

It seemed that Hutch, Bernier, Stalteri, and McKenna were off their game; the 2nd half replacements (Friend, Simpson?) fared much better.

The first Macedonian PK was probably a dive, but they converted their

gift penalties while we didn't. No gift baskets necessary, as a result.

edit: 2nd half subs: Friend, de Jong, Peters, JBB

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

How about that the Dutch only beat them 2-1 in Macedonia. Scotland lost to them their and that if they think that beating a middling Euro team at home is an easy thing to do that they should shut the f uck up, go back to matching ManU, and talk to you after they spend two hours watching a crappy web feed to support a team that in no way is sexy, but that is actually yours.

Or, you could just not give a crap what anyone else thinks.

The Dutch would have hammered Macedonia today. Their defending was attrocious.

I hope they can regroup for the Poland friendly. It's just one meaningless result (however embarassing). It will quickly be forgotten with a good performance on Wednesday.

I don't think the players were lazy. But they did seem to lack the mentality needed to get a result. Players with that mentality punish opponents when given the opportunity. I think Hart would have gone into this match with specific tactics he wanted to work on. That may explain the lack of attacking play in the first half. He obviously unlocked the shackles in the second half. We were better going forward but Macedonia's experience against higher calibre opposition showed. Our mistakes were exposed... and theirs weren't. dpetzz is right about needing to develop the ability to grind out results in uncomfortable stadiums with crap pitches.

I actually thought the Macedonians did a very good job of crowding the ball carrier, especially in the middle of the park. Not unlike what we see from many of the better CONCACAF sides, and just like against our regional rivals we really didn't adjust to that at all. Go over, punch through, or set traps. Just didn't happen.

Is it pretty football? Not especially, no. Then again neither is the process of making sausage. But with both those programs if you have to you can live off of the end product.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I actually thought the Macedonians did a very good job of crowding the ball carrier, especially in the middle of the park. Not unlike what we see from many of the better CONCACAF sides, and just like against our regional rivals we really didn't adjust to that at all. Go over, punch through, or set traps. Just didn't happen.

Is it pretty football? Not especially, no. Then again neither is the process of making sausage. But with both those programs if you have to you can live off of the end product.

That is because we are slow moving forward and not particularly adept at moving off the ball. When we went forward fast, usually in the direct sense, their defending consisted of fouling. The result, ignoring the penalties, were several free kicks in dangerous areas. When was the last time Canada got that many free kicks within 30 yeards of the net? I can't recall it.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

That is because we are slow moving forward and not particularly adept at moving off the ball. When we went forward fast, usually in the direct sense, their defending consisted on fouling. The result, ignoring the penalties, were several free kicks in dangerous areas. When was the last time Canada got that many free kicks within 30 yeards of the net? I can't ercall it.

I got up to watch the second half and maybe I was the bad luck?

:D

Anyway maybe this was smart on their part? I mean maybe they did some scouting and realized no one on our team is any good at taking a free kick. We have been poor with set plays in recent memory

Archived