Nov 18: Canada vs Poland [R]

Jarrek

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All right I'm just gonna say this. We need</u> to have Gerba in our squad. He is the only (and I mean the ONLY) one of our strikers who produces more goals than excuses. Never mind the "he doesn't get the same kind of service as at his club" bull sh*t we hear time and time again for Friend, Gerba buries chances and half-chances. Personally, I don't think we have the luxury of snubbing our most productive striker just because we can't explain his anomaly of playing well for us and not so well for his clubs. The man scores goals, for Canada, at an unbelievable rate, and we as fans seem to have a problem with that. Gerba should be in this squad. Something tells me he wouldn't be love-tapping balls right at the keeper with the wrong foot the way Friend did.

Rant over.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

All right I'm just gonna say this. We need</u> to have Gerba in our squad. He is the only (and I mean the ONLY) one of our strikers who produces more goals than excuses. Never mind the "he doesn't get the same kind of service as at his club" bull sh*t we hear time and time again for Friend, Gerba buries chances and half-chances. Personally, I don't think we have the luxury of snubbing our most productive striker just because we can't explain his anomaly of playing well for us and not so well for his clubs. The man scores goals, for Canada, at an unbelievable rate, and we as fans seem to have a problem with that. Gerba should be in this squad. Something tells me he wouldn't be love-tapping balls right at the keeper with the wrong foot the way Friend did.

Rant over.

If we started WCQ tomorrow I'd agree, but Gerba will be way too old in 2012 (and fat). We need to start getting the likes of Hume and Jackson into the squad

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

If we started WCQ tomorrow I'd agree, but Gerba will be way too old in 2012 (and fat). We need to start getting the likes of Hume and Jackson into the squad

That's hard to say. He'll be 31 then. Let's just say that hypothetically between now and then he keeps getting called to the team (and we all know this will happen, just look at how we keep calling Hastings) and keeps scoring at his usual rate. I would still want him around then. It's not that hard to imagine.

Edit: I agree wit you about Jackson, but correct me if I'm wrong but Hume seems to be deployed as a midfielder more often than a striker?

The only defender guaranteed his position in my books is Klukowski. Nice to see Jakovic back in the squad as he is getting better with each outing. McKenna and Stalteri looked to be lost at times.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

The whistle had blown for a foul call on Friend for his contact with the keeper.

Thanks, I don't have sound on my PC! alright, that makes it a little better, though still not sure he wouldn't have still shot it straight at the keeper anyways...

Also, on the Poland goal the forward with back to goal did not chest it down as i had said earlier. He cushioned it with the inside of his foot before volleying the ball.

Interesting, interview with Radzinski in Polish.

As for Ali Gerba, personally I don't care about about age or weight if he buries his chances. Roger Milla was 40 when he led Cameroon in Italia '90. Friend thrives on good service; eventually he'll bury his chances. I find it weird that McKenna would have been used in Friend's role if Holger was coach (and would probably score more).

The thing with Radzinski is his skill level, and his leadership -- Canada's a much better team with him than at Macedonian nightmare.

Archived