Nov 18: Canada vs Poland [R]

Jarrek

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least this match wasn't as bad as the Macedonian one. We had a few scoring chances, and other than a shaky first half (yes, that's you Hirschfeld), we seem to have better possession and a few scoring chances. Defence is a big worry for me. 1-0 is not too bad, as Radz had a good game.

quote:Originally posted by gator

Most of you guys got to see at least a choppy grainy feed which is more than I have, imagine them blocking this at work! I think it might be time to look for a new employer, a V friendly employer!

Blocked at my place of employ too. Fortunately, I was able to switch over to my Telus air card.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Game, set, match. 1-0 Poland. Not a terrible result considering the opponent.

I only caught the first 15 minutes of the second half, but it looked to me that we were playing quite well. De Guzman & Hutch looked solid, and I thought Peters really looked good the way he was lurking in from the wing and getting involved in the attack. What astounded me though is how we were physically dominated by the Poles. I understand when our technique is lacking, but some of our guys really get thrown around. I guess it doesn't matter so much in CONCACAF, but surprising still.

I think we might have had possession in their half for about 5 minutes in the second half. The last 20 minute stretch was absolutely brutal. No possession, no control, and the Poles were gifted midfield like crazy. It seems like JDG and Hutch are worried about our backline and are backing in to our box far too much rather than taking away the space at the top of the box.

Not the best game for JDG, Hutch, McKenna, or the strikers. Peters was great, had lots of energy, and looks promising. Simeon also looked to have a lot of energy, it's a shame his shot was partially blocked. Kluko was solid yet again (hope they got ice for that canning [:P]). Hume also looked to have something to give, just not enough time or possession to do it. Hirsch, aside from a few head-shakers, saved our asses I don't know how many times, and should still be seen as our #1.

Not the end of the world we came away with no goals, but things MUST improve from this point forward. I look forward to seeing the NA side of the squad added to the picture.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

You consider being on pace to be our all time leading scorer just OK? We can't afford to give up the goals that Gerba produces, plain and simple, and these two goalless friendlies should be evidence of that. And it's not like Gerba peaked at the '07 GC and was never heard from again, he has gotten better since. If you don't believe me, just think of the "Gerba only scores against minnows" arguments we heard so often that just seemed to stop after his 2 goals against mexico in world cup qualifying.

BTW, Gerba and Hume have the same amount of caps at 28, while Friend has 24.

It is not my intention to bash Gerba (we all like the few players who have been able to consistently score goals for Canada), I'm just trying to put some generally outstanding statistics in context.

Gerba is a poacher, so apart from holding-up the ball abit, his contribution is goals. Friend holds up the ball more, while Hume is often used as a winger. Jackson is still too new to fully judge and with a big move up in the cards, it will be interesting to see how he responds to EPL/CCC play and what that means for Canada.

I'm not trying to attack Gerba, but I see someone who has had many problems at club level put up some impressive levels at the international level. I'm not going to try to explain all of that, but I do think that some of it has to do with him being in the fortunate position to get alot of playing time when Canada had the best performing midfield in CONCACAF, while more naturally gifted players (ex: Radz) played alot of games without any real service and often had to create something out of nothing through individual brilliance.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

It is not my intention to bash Gerba (we all like the few players who have been able to consistently score goals for Canada), I'm just trying to put some generally outstanding statistics in context.

Gerba is a poacher, so apart from holding-up the ball abit, his contribution is goals. Friend holds up the ball more, while Hume is often used as a winger. Jackson is still too new to fully judge and with a big move up in the cards, it will be interesting to see how he responds to EPL/CCC play and what that means for Canada.

I'm not trying to attack Gerba, but I see someone who has had many problems at club level put up some impressive levels at the international level. I'm not going to try to explain all of that, but I do think that some of it has to do with him being in the fortunate position to get alot of playing time when Canada had the best performing midfield in CONCACAF, while more naturally gifted players (ex: Radz) played alot of games without any real service and often had to create something out of nothing through individual brilliance.

Please show me an example of Friend "holding the ball up more" and how it has been beneficial to our game. I have been hearing that sentence since I first became a voyageur and I have never noticed it in an actual game. In fact, the only time in the last two years I can remember Friend doing anything positive in one of our games was the Brazil game, which seems now to have been an anomaly. Friend has been a waste of a roster spot and a spot in the starting eleven in almost every game he has played for Canada.

I'll take a poacher who only contributes goals over that any day.

I think we sucked less this time than against Macedonia. They were building something offensively at times but then, after the PKs debacle there goes the CKs debacle ! That was the most disastrous aspect of the game, but Stalteri and McKenna both weren't up for the task today. Actually, the back line as a whole made me nervous.

And where the hell was Lars' brain ? He reacted well overall but that's one thing to do that, and a whole different one to take good decisions ! I think he looked poor on the corners. Radz was in it and I agree with others they should keep calling him if he keeps on playing like today. Jakovic gets a great mark from me as well. JDG looked pretty bored on the pitch, pretty much a lackluster performance overall for his part. To finish on a positive note, I like what I saw from Peters today, he's a bit like the Peter Byers of the MNT, doing well with his speed on the flank but lacking the finishing delivery/touch.

AND CAN WE SCORE A GOAL ONCE IN A WHILE ?

Hirsch seems to be blind on one eye. His depth perception is off. A regular Tommy Banks. We seemed to play better when Hart was just an interim coach. Poland was bad, but we were worst. Friend who? If I consider Radz work rate and skill, Friend had no business being there as the other striker.

Much better 2nd half. This type of match is good for us since it shows the guys the speed they must face against quality opponents. In games like this they have to take any chance to shoot when close to the box - they will get closed down otherwise.

While this is a welcome match against a good Polish side, we must emphasize matches against our own region.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Hirsch seems to be blind on one eye. His depth perception is off. A regular Tommy Banks. We seemed to play better when Hart was just an interim coach. Poland was bad, but we were worst. Friend who? If I consider Radz work rate and skill, Friend had no business being there as the other striker.

Thank you! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here!

Friend hold up the ball to setup a great chance for Radz in today's game.

I'm no fan of Friend but I'm also not a huge Ali fan.

I think there was never an "Ali only scores against minnow" argument but more a "his goals against minnows are making him look better than he really is" argument. 4 goals against SVG, 1 against Guadeloupe, 1 against Guatemala that was in fact an own goal, 2 against Guatemala in a discutable "A" friendly (Guatemala had played Mexico 48 hours before).

That's the argument some, including me, are making. Add to that the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to establish himself at the club level and I think we have valid reasons to be concern.

I like the fact that he's an incredible poacher and I think he has his place in our MNT but I'm also not convince he's the type of stiker we need. He's not good at holding the ball and a very average passer. That's why I don't have a problem with trying some other people at that position to see if we can find a better fit. There's 3 years until the next WCQ game so why not try young players like Jackson and Haber to see if we can find a better striker.

We need to start playing matches in our house once BMO has grass installed! It's never easy going on the road and getting results, reverse these two fixtures and how do you think Macedonia and Poland so at BMO? I unfortunately didn't see either match, just highlights of the first! As for all you Friend haters, don't give up on him, he hasn't had his best games for Canada, but there still is time, I can think of a few players I was frustrated with who eventually became real good players for Canada!

I guess if we want to see a predictable and stable 11 who can come together and win regularly we are going to have to do this for a while: throw them in front of quality friendly opponents and learn. Hopefully this wasn't just a one-off and the CSA will actually book the friendly dates consistently.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Friend hold up the ball to setup a great chance for Radz in today's game.

I'm no fan of Friend but I'm also not a huge Ali fan.

I think there was never an "Ali only scores against minnow" argument but more a "his goals against minnows are making him look better than he really is" argument. 4 goals against SVG, 1 against Guadeloupe, 1 against Guatemala that was in fact an own goal, 2 against Guatemala in a discutable "A" friendly (Guatemala had played Mexico 48 hours before).

That's the argument some, including me, are making. Add to that the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to establish himself at the club level and I think we have valid reasons to be concern.

I like the fact that he's an incredible poacher and I think he has his place in our MNT but I'm also not convince he's the type of stiker we need. He's not good at holding the ball and a very average passer. That's why I don't have a problem with trying some other people at that position to see if we can find a better fit. There's 3 years until the next WCQ game so why not try young players like Jackson and Haber to see if we can find a better striker.

This is nitpicking, but while one of his credited goals against guatemala may have been an own goal, you have to remember on the first goal of that game his shot was going in anyway before dero tapped it in. And the other goal he got in that game was a perfect finish on the end of a long string of passes.

Anyways, the point I've been trying to make all morning here is that while Gerba has proven himself worthy of playing time on the MNT, Friend has not. I agree we should be bringing in younger strikers like Jackson, but it should not be at Gerba's expense, as Gerba has been the man to win games for us (Jamaica, el salvador, guatemala twice, st. vag) or keep us in close games (venezuela, guadeloupe, mexico twice), while aside from a couple of well-contested headers with opposing GKs, Friend has done f*ck all for the national team.

Quite frankly, and this is quite the about face for myself, Gerba doesn't look to be a factor in the starting 11 anymore. Simeon looks to have taken his spot, which is the way it should be. Whether Ali finds his way to a starting position either with TFC or another club, then perhaps he'll feature for the Nats again. Until then, I wouldn't bet on seeing him in a Nats jersey.

MOTM has to go to Hirsch. Yes he had a few mental lapses (the near giveaway during a clearance, that really awkward and amateur missed punch that he luckily collected off the bounce), but he saved our skins with countless saves.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Quite frankly, and this is quite the about face for myself, Gerba doesn't look to be a factor in the starting 11 anymore. Simeon looks to have taken his spot, which is the way it should be. Whether Ali finds his way to a starting position either with TFC or another club, then perhaps he'll feature for the Nats again. Until then, I wouldn't bet on seeing him in a Nats jersey.

Are you implying that Friend has done something to deserve a spot or am I reading you wrong? If anything, Simeon should be taking Friend's spot until Friend proves he can be more than just a really tall guy who doesn't actually do anything.

sure we lost two games..big deal. at least we are playing...official games matter....these are to try things out and to develop team chemistry...Frankly, showing that we are playing and trying to get the program on track is worth more than a win at this point. Continue bringing in the young players and working them with the vets and eventually we'll get the wins we deserve

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

Are you implying that Friend has done something to deserve a spot or am I reading you wrong? If anything, Simeon should be taking Friend's spot until Friend proves he can be more than just a really tall guy who doesn't actually do anything.

So Jackson > Friend in your opinion? I'll stick with the Bundesliga club's opinion thanks.

Archived