Nov 18: Canada vs Poland [R]

Jarrek

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Scottie

Those three combined have less than half as many goals as Gerba.

I knew someone would say something like that. Jackson is new so we don't know how good he will be. Both Friend and Hume have missed alot of internationals for various reasons and have not always been used as the tip of the spear for our attack.

Like any pure poacher, Gerba has to rely on the midfield for service. He was somewhat lucky to be available and selected during that key stretch when Canada's midfield was awesome and the quality chances was numerous (2007 GC). Full credit to him for making the most of the opportunity, but goals/game ratios are not reliable for a team that is so inconsistent and their games so few and far between. Whether for Canada or TFC, I've never seen him play substantially better than his teammates and lift them up.

Gerba will not get better, Jackson (and maybe Hoilett or another young prodigy) should be preferred over someone who has likely peaked at a level that is just OK.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

To be fair, the Polish Internet lasted much longer than the Macedonian. Three cheers for the Warsaw Pact!

The Polish internet worked better than expected, but it was inevitable that at some point the hamster on the treadmill would get tired.

Seriously, not one old-school Polish joke the whole morning? ;)

quote:Originally posted by KAS

I knew someone would say something like that. Jackson is new so we don't know how good he will be. Both Friend and Hume have missed alot of internationals for various reasons and have not always been used as the tip of the spear for our attack.

Like any pure poacher, Gerba has to rely on the midfield for service. He was somewhat lucky to be available and selected during that key stretch when Canada's midfield was awesome and the quality chances was numerous (2007 GC). Full credit to him for making the most of the opportunity, but goals/game ratios are not reliable for a team that is so inconsistent and their games so few and far between. Whether for Canada or TFC, I've never seen him play substantially better than his teammates and lift them up.

Gerba will not get better, Jackson (and maybe Hoilett or another young prodigy) should be preferred over someone who has likely peaked at a level that is just OK.

You consider being on pace to be our all time leading scorer just OK? We can't afford to give up the goals that Gerba produces, plain and simple, and these two goalless friendlies should be evidence of that. And it's not like Gerba peaked at the '07 GC and was never heard from again, he has gotten better since. If you don't believe me, just think of the "Gerba only scores against minnows" arguments we heard so often that just seemed to stop after his 2 goals against mexico in world cup qualifying.

BTW, Gerba and Hume have the same amount of caps at 28, while Friend has 24.

quote:Originally posted by gator

Most of you guys got to see at least a choppy grainy feed which is more than I have, imagine them blocking this at work! I think it might be time to look for a new employer, a V friendly employer!

Blocked at my place of employ too. Fortunately, I was able to switch over to my Telus air card.

Archived