The other side of the Asmir Begovic story

jonovision

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My disdain for the English FA has reached new highs. Lowlife f*cks.

Here's something for Ass-smear's pain:

I am Bosniak refugee,

Livink in West Germany,

Family forced out once again,

Finally get to Edmintin.

Enjoy our freedom in welfare state,

High on hog, life is great,

Playing sport from dawn til dark,

I am best boy on the park.

Get chosen for Cdn team,

I am now livink Bosniak dream,

Cdn sport put me on payroll,

Parents back to Sarajevo.

Now I look around my flat,

No hardware for my new hat.

Can Bosniak soccer take me back

or jersey with a Union Jack?

No more long flights for this Bosniak,

Might get just a bit of flack,

But I make choice to join Balkan team

Where swapping tongues is more than dream.

IS REALITY YESSSS!!! IS GOOD LIFE YESSS??

Poor article by DeVos.

First, he doesn't address the FIFA rule change that had an effect on Asmir eligibility.

Second, he doesn't mention that Asmir was called for the GC.

Third, DeVos makes it sound like Euro clus don't like it when you play for Canada. The reality is that we never ask our players to travel to North America during their Euro season unless we are in WCQ (once every 4 years) and in our case that only involved 3 travel each time. Nothing too dramatic. Also, Asmir is now playing for Bosnia, a team that plays a lot of qualifiers (Euro and WC) so I'm not sure there's much of a difference there. Jason DeVos should have asked a few question regarding this.

Fourth, the worst lie of all is Asmir saying that in the past he hasn't heard from the CSA for a whole year. Here's the truth:

2003, Asmir represented Canada at the U-17 level

2004, he played for the U-17 in July and the U-20's in december

2005, between January and June he was part of the 2005 U-20 team and in October he was part of the 2007 U-20 playing some exhibitions games in England.

2006, Member of the 2007 U-20 and playing in various games throughout the year

2007, Member of the 2007 U-20 between January and July.

2008, March, he was called for the U-23. November, called by the MNT for the game in Jamaica.

2009, July, he was called for the GC.

So, when was the year without contact Asmir is talking about? And why is Jason DeVos not investigating a little more those claims by Asmir before writing that poor article of his? I dressed that list in 5 min by checking the CSA website. I'm sure Jason could've done something similar.....

I find it a tad hard to believe some of Asmir's comments. I know for a fact that the CSA technical staff had very open lines of communication with him prior to the Gold Cup. He was definitely Canada's #1 GK for that tournament if not for the birth of his 1st child.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that "other factors" may have strongly influenced Begovic's decision making. What those factors might be are anyone's guess. I believe that financial considerations are definitely part of it (I have no proof of this...its just my opinion based on the kind of things I've heard about certain national associations who recruit players to come play for them).

IMPORTANT EDIT: I just remembered that, at the time of the Cyprus game, David James was injured at Portsmouth and Asmir was not called out of respect to the club's tenuous situation.

From the article:

"According to Begovic, he wanted nothing more than to play for Canada"

"He also said that in the past, he has gone over a year without hearing anything from anyone involved with Canadian soccer. "

Anyone believe either of these statements? When did this "over a year" period take place, before Begovic even came to Canada? We know he was with the U17 team and then the U20 team in the lead up to and including 2005 and then again into the 2007 U20 team which played into July, 2007 (and played several friendlies in 2006). In March 2008 he was called (and accepted) to the 2008 Olympic team (the first match he was suspended for) but never arrived as the team decided to go with Wagenaar and Asmir had club conflicts. He was also called and accepted the call for a World Cup Qualifying match in Jamaica for November 2008. Later in the spring, 2009, he was called to the Macedonia match & the Gold Cup but declined both. If any of you (and that includes you too De Vos if you are reading) can tease out "over a year" period between 2005 and 2009, be my guest.

What a terrible, terrible article, and somewhat depressing to read considering who it's written by, probably the last person I expected an apologist attitude from. So apparently we're to buy the theory that Begovic "wanted nothing more" to play for Canada, but I suppose some un-named person forced him against his will to choose Bosnia, along with forcing him to voluntarily go on Canadian radio and voluntarily lie to the Canadian public about who he was going to play for. Wow I'm convinced. And shame on the CSA for not acting to prevent Begovic from bolting to play for England, despite the player telling Stephen Hart that he was committed to Canada, after all, why bother listening to what the player says.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

My disdain for the English FA has reached new highs. Lowlife f*cks.

I am Bosniak refugee,

Livink in West Germany,

Finally get to Edmintin.

Get chosen for Cdn team,

LOL! Ed, you are the new poet laureate of the Voyageurs!

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Fourth, the worst lie of all is Asmir saying that in the past he hasn't heard from the CSA for a whole year.

Even worse, he said for "over a year". And yes, De Vos could have checked up on that in about 2 minutes if he so chose, but that would go against the apologist nature of the article.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I am Bosniak refugee,

Livink in West Germany,

Finally get to Edmintin.

Get chosen for Cdn team,

Not only do I like the poem, but good to see "Ass-smear" is gaining some traction! :D

All these defections are more or less the same .. they all come down to some combo of:

1) Canada’s cultural smorgasbord. The integration as opposed to assimilation model definitely plays a role here. People retain a large part of their identity

2) A disorganized CSA – there’s no getting out of it .. it plays a large factor here, but not the only one.

3) Douche-bag opportunists … and when it boils down to it that’s all Begovic really is. You want to grow up in Canada and represent someone else? Fine, go for it! But find your own resources and means to advance your career. Don’t show up to rep Canada at the jr levels then jump ship later on.

Poor article by DeVos.

First, he doesn't address the FIFA rule change that had an effect on Asmir eligibility.

Second, he doesn't mention that Asmir was called for the GC.

Third, DeVos makes it sound like Euro clus don't like it when you play for Canada. The reality is that we never ask our players to travel to North America during their Euro season unless we are in WCQ (once every 4 years) and in our case that only involved 3 travel each time. Nothing too dramatic. Also, Asmir is now playing for Bosnia, a team that plays a lot of qualifiers (Euro and WC) so I'm not sure there's much of a difference there. Jason DeVos should have asked a few question regarding this.

Fourth, the worst lie of all is Asmir saying that in the past he hasn't heard from the CSA for a whole year. Here's the truth:

2003, Asmir represented Canada at the U-17 level

2004, he played for the U-17 in July and the U-20's in december

2005, between January and June he was part of the 2005 U-20 team and in October he was part of the 2007 U-20 playing some exhibitions games in England.

2006, Member of the 2007 U-20 and playing in various games throughout the year

2007, Member of the 2007 U-20 between January and July.

2008, March, he was called for the U-23. November, called by the MNT for the game in Jamaica.

2009, July, he was called for the GC.

So, when was the year without contact Asmir is talking about? And why is Jason DeVos not investigating a little more those claims by Asmir before writing that poor article of his? I dressed that list in 5 min by checking the CSA website. I'm sure Jason could've done something similar.....

Jason just got owned.

Can someone give me Jason e-mail address, I think I'll write him a little something. This article makes very little.

Using the CSA as an excuse for the defection is a classic. But I can't tolerate Asmir lying to us like that with the complicity of a former Canada MNT captain.

If Asmir had told us "I now have the opportunity to represent my home country and I've decided to play for Bosnia. I'm grateful for the opportunity the CSA and Canada gave me and it has been a tough decision to make." I think it would've been easier for some of us to accept (not for everyone but for some of us). But lying in a radio show and then spreading some misinformation around is making him look like an idiot.

What a crap article. De Vos is right on one thing; there are

2 sides to the story -- the real story of opportunism by someone who wanted to choose Bosnia, and a BS story of "I've been ignored" excuse by blaming the CSA.

The truth is that Begovic lied and twisted the facts to suit his defection. And Jason, respectfully, you've been lied to by someone who has just disgraced the colours you've proudly represented over the years.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

My theory is that Jason de Vos, who played a lot during the bad old days, simply took Begovic's story at face value because he'd experienced it. A wry nod, "yeah, that sounds familiar," and an uncritical writing.

So it's a feel-good,human interest story? During this week of Remembrance Day? If he was providing a more balanced article, he should at least do some research.

And how do you exactly explain some of the innacurracy in that article?

Sorry, which article? You mean de Vos one? Oh yeah, I'm with you there. I had a really good deja vu sense Begovic was full of it weeks ago when he lied and waffled. He's either clinically insane or of weak character. I kind of hope they come out and say he's insane and getting treatment because then I could really cheer for the guy. Who wouldn't love a legally nuts keeper? But the odds are on weak character and in which case not the kind of guy many people want to cheer for or on our team.

I just liked ag futbol's summation, especially 2 and 3.

Fair enough Vic, I thought you were saying the article was brillant.

I've written a reply on Jason blog, similar to my first post in this thread, and they decided not to show it. I'm wondering why as it wasn't aggressive or in bad taste. Maybe saying "This is a poor article" and "It's depressing to read that kind of comments from a former MNT captain" is enough to not publish a comment....

Can someone give me Jason e-mail address, I think I'll write him a little something. This article makes very little.

Jason is participating in a live chat for 1 hour this Friday at CBCSports.ca, so you can ask him direct questions about his blog then, if you like.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/11/09/spf-chat-de-vos.html

Archived