Confirmed: The TOA League Split is Happening

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Its called taking leadership to improve the state of soccer in Canada.

I can't blame Toronto since all of those supporting TFC are bending over for MLSE and how it runs the team.

Right.

Taking leadership is blaming everyone but yourselves? Your pathetic ownership group and the fans that didn't come out are the ones who are to blame, not anyone else.

Perhaps if more people in Edmonton "bent over" to support their team the way TFC fans do (and Whitecaps fans, and Impact fans), you'd have one less thing to blame everyone else for.

Your wannabe Neo-Con Western Alienation schtick has grown incredibly tiresome.

If your so upset, the why both responding?

It seems that you don't have a care for soccer in Canada and always gets pissed off when its constantly proven.

Its people like you that are responsible for the lack of soccer progression in Canada.

LOL.jpg

They had an opportunity to step up and push to have Edmonton and Calgary stay in the USL. All they would've needed to do was promote the importance of having owners who would be capable of supporting a franchise.

Its quite clear that Whitecaps, along with Canadian Soccer, dropped the ball when they got blinded by the lights of MLS.

The Whitecaps along with the owners of several other well financed and stable USL-1 clubs have been unhappy about the poor due diligence done by the USL on new applicants for USL-1 franchises for years. It finally came to a head when NuRock took over and the result was the split.

It seems that you don't have a care for soccer in Canada and always gets pissed off when its constantly proven.

Its people like you that are responsible for the lack of soccer progression in Canada.

Now that I've finished laughing, I'm going to give you the serious response you seem to crave.

I suggest we both state what we've done for soccer in this country. You can even list your accomplishments first if you wish.

I don't claim to be any sort of big deal, but I know I can beat "being a whiney cunt on the internet" any day of the week.

Your move, DoyleG.

Now I've heard it all. In the last decade, Greg Kerfoot has single-handedly rescued the nation's longest-standing, most-storied football club from bankruptcy, personally financed the women's national team, set up the continent's most extensive private development structure, and hosted two of the highest attended club friendlies ever held in this country (one in Edmonton, to boot). If it weren't red tape and government incompetence, he'd have already built the best soccer stadium in the country on his own dime, as well. Yet some tool in Edmonton figures that he doesn't care about soccer in Canada?

Let me fill you in on a little secret, Doyle, Kerfoot doesn't need Edmonton to achieve his goals in developing the sport in this country. He'll do just as well putting his U-23 team in Kelowna. Of course, that would clear the way for all those deep-pocketed entrepeneurs who are falling all over themselves to bring high-caliber football to Alberta.

We get it Doyle. Edmonton and Calgary are big time towns who won't accept an inferior product. We got it the last five times the sport failed in Edmonton, too.

wow DoyleG,

wtf are you on about mate?

In 2003 the whitecaps were in the same position, lenarduzzi made a plea, enter kerfoot... the CSA wasn't involved, nobody from any other canadian city was involved...

but somehow you think the whitecaps are to blame for the aviators failings...

thats f-ing retarded logic.

DoyleG, Mr Right Wing Conservative, No Taxes or Social Help, Pull Yourself Up By Your own bootstraps guy is blaming another team and city for the failings of his own.

My personal belief is that it was Lenarduzzi's fault that Doyle didn't attend games when they had a team in Edmonton. :D

Abbotsford: In its first season and they have trouble filling the arena to even a half-filled state. Its the Flames in Nucks territory (never works when you step into another teams turf) and their numbers are wtill below even the Flames worst seasons in Saint John. They also suffer since they have to play the visiting team on 2 consecutive nights.

Hamilton and Manitoba: Even having successful teams doesn't do you good in getting attendance to improve. Both of these cities consider themselves NHL in waiting so they have no real reason to be attached to their teams.

Toronto: They don't care about the Marlies, even with MLSE backing. Nuff said.

Victoria: These guys built themselves up before the Nucks even bothered to come on board. They started out as an independent team, not as a feeder club. They don't have a solid future with the WHL shadow over it.

The AHL is littered with numbers of failed Canadian franchises, which shows that the feeder system for hockey just doesn't work in this country, especially since two existing cities want back into the NHL.

Once again, if the concept of the feeder system is successful, there would be feeder teams in every sport in this country. If you really thin that the Vancouver Canadians are a good example, then you haven't been outside the lower mainland in some time. Especially considering that its now increasing isolated by independent league teams that can offer a high level of competition.

You are really foolish if you think Edmonton fans would serve the be the Whitecaps b!tch. This being the case when the Caps had an opportunity to support soccer in this city and dropped the ball.

A lot of opinion to prove a point, that you actually haven't. More importantly calm down. This is a discussion, not a pissing contest. WE're just shooting the **** here.

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

And by the way anyone knows what will happen with the people that have already purchased tickets? What about pricing? Since the TOA doesn't even know how many teams will be playing as the numbers can still change.

This is just an assumption, but the Caps were already taking early bird discount deposits on the 2010 season in September. I'm sure sales are a little quiet so they'll want to finalize what they can to get seating plans as well as positive news out to the casual fan.

I'm almost positive that they will market tickets to the TOA Caps with an MLS priority angle. I expect my quoted price to be honored, and the same for anyone else who has already put down a deposit for next season. Everyone else...well it's up to the team.

I know from speaking to some people in the ticket office, ticket prices for the Caps have being up the last couple years (and again this coming year) for a couple reasons. One is to cover incrreasing costs in USL as the travel is huge for the Caps. Also to get all ticket buyers used to a more expensive product with MLS coming up.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

I was in the room in the fall of 2005 when they announced the waterfront stadium. That is after they tried to work something out with the city for the false creek flats. Based on that timeline, I would say MLS was very much in their plans in 2004.

Well maybe that's more a feeling amongst us fans, but the tagline at the time was, "the Caps want be playing in the top league in North America, whether it's MLS or some other league, within the next 5 years."

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

Now I've heard it all. In the last decade, Greg Kerfoot has single-handedly rescued the nation's longest-standing, most-storied football club from bankruptcy, personally financed the women's national team, set up the continent's most extensive private development structure, and hosted two of the highest attended club friendlies ever held in this country (one in Edmonton, to boot). If it weren't red tape and government incompetence, he'd have already built the best soccer stadium in the country on his own dime, as well. Yet some tool in Edmonton figures that he doesn't care about soccer in Canada?

Let me fill you in on a little secret, Doyle, Kerfoot doesn't need Edmonton to achieve his goals in developing the sport in this country. He'll do just as well putting his U-23 team in Kelowna. Of course, that would clear the way for all those deep-pocketed entrepeneurs who are falling all over themselves to bring high-caliber football to Alberta.

We get it Doyle. Edmonton and Calgary are big time towns who won't accept an inferior product. We got it the last five times the sport failed in Edmonton, too.

Nice one SthMelbRed. Don't forget the 30 mil. training centre (partnered with local and provincial governments) in Delta, BC. The 3 mil. turf field installed up at SFU (pretty much gifted to the university as they can use it when the Caps don't).That Kerfoot is right cu(h)nt if you ask me. [B)]

MLS rumor last rumor, or joke...

I cannot tell you who it is, but it comes from a very reliable source who has given me reliable info many times in the past. So here goes…

The Montreal Impact is having second thoughts about the NASL (which, according to my source, explains why Saputo has been very quiet about the NASL in the past few days). The Impact currently are looking for a deal with MLS to join in 2011 instead of Portland, who still needs to resolve their stadium issue, which irritates Don Garber. Apparently, Montreal has secured public funds for the expansion of Saputo Stadium, but it hasn’t been announced yet because the Montreal Formula 1 GP saga is not over yet, and the government wants to deal with that first. If the MLS deal goes through for 2011, Montreal would not field a team in 2010 in either the USL or the NASL (which, again, according to my source, explains why they haven’t signed new players so far; the players under contract would be going on-loan to various teams for the season… doesn’t say if it’ll be NASL or USL though.).

quote:Now I've heard it all. In the last decade, Greg Kerfoot has single-handedly rescued the nation's longest-standing, most-storied football club from bankruptcy, personally financed the women's national team, set up the continent's most extensive private development structure, and hosted two of the highest attended club friendlies ever held in this country (one in Edmonton, to boot). If it weren't red tape and government incompetence, he'd have already built the best soccer stadium in the country on his own dime, as well. Yet some tool in Edmonton figures that he doesn't care about soccer in Canada?

OK everyone knows he's a great investor but no need to go overboard on the rhetoric.

- the nation's longest-standing football club? Are they even within 75 years of that?

- the details of his financing of the women's programs were never made public and it wasn't all roses

- IMG makes the Whitecaps private development structure look like kindergarten

- he doesn't have a stadium because he didn't provide the City with the goods or it would have got done. Blaming the City for that is a bit like blaming him for Edmonton.

He's a God, but he's human. I get the feeling Nash on the other hand isn't of this earth.

^okay, I'll amend my description to 'longest-standing, most-storied professional football club out of deference for Cliff Avenue United, my old alma mater, which is much older. I'll assume you meant buying the land which the city suggested to him was the ideal place for his stadium as 'not providing the city with the goods' for his new stadium. If the city wanted to, they could redesignate the land that Kerfoot has already bought on the waterfront with a stroke of a pen and allow him to start building.

Cliff Avenue? Still 50 years away. I would think most cities with senior leagues have a team that's been around longer than the Caps. But with a pro qualifier it's a gimme.

And if Kerfoot had said he was going to build a stadium it probably would have not only been a gimme but built by now. But when you're talking office towers, retail, a hotel, etc that's not philanthropy - it's commercial real estate development. Two very different things as far as getting buy-in from politicians on rezoning land.

All the power to him for looking for a suitable return on his investment and I'm sure it will all get negotiated one day when the board is comfortable it's a good deal for them and the future of the city. That's all that was meant by "providing the city with the goods" - something to make them vote yes.

No wonder why Canada is a laughing stock in the soccer world, all excuses and no actions.

Sounds like a guy I know from Edmonton who didn't go to games when his city had a professional soccer team and then spent the next several years bitching about and making excuses for why his city doesn't have a team and why he didn't go to games when they did. And now he is making the ridiculous assertion that another team is to blame for his the fact that people like him didn't go to games. Yes you are right, we do not understand your concept of activism which consists of doing nothing and bitching.

Archived