Confirmed: The TOA League Split is Happening

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by ted

Read the FA Rules & Regulations then tell me I am wrong. It took me about 35 seconds to find this document that clearly demonstrates I am correct.

BTW despite your malicious and false accusation that I am somehow "slagging" the USL let me be crystal clear. I am opposed to the dictatorship of the new owners of the USL who "bought" the organization recently. As far as I am concerned the USL is made up of clubs like the 2009 USL1 Champions and the other members of the TOA. Not just a single rich guy who thinks he knows better than every other owner, manager and administrator in the USL organization.

[

Where at the very start it distinguishes clearly between members and owners. You read the document too, ted, then we can talk about it.

Because you are not talking about the clubs sitting as members on a board, you are talking about owner-operated, and the FA is not that by any means. The EPL may have autonomy in the way it is run, as do the next three tiers as a single entity, but there is nothing about ownership there. It says it clear as day, and I have not read the entire document to argue with you over it.

But dictatorships, I don't get what you are driving at. Sounds like you are repeating someone else's slogans without believing in them at all. If you were really concerned about dictatorships you'd be complaining about how clubs are run themselves, with a single owner and no legal input from fans at all. But you are not, if you cared about such things you'd be calling for club members having a say at Whitecaps. So I think that is totally hypocritical.

And don't tell me ownership by members is not viable in a club because I happen to be member of a club where I have voice and vote and it is not a team in the PCSL.

Which is why using the term "dictatorship" is slagging, at least as I see it.

I get the feeling that just because the Whitecaps are going to MLS, to its new love, it is time to make all the old girlfriends look like real bitches. And I don't buy it.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well clearly there is a substantial subset of former USL-1 and other owners who object to the way the USL-1 is governed and it has been made abundantly clear to me by Bob Lenarduzzi that the biggest complaint is the lack of input from clubs/owners. As I understand it, major policy decisions in MLS are made by the Board of Governors (member club owners or their representatives), even if day to day operating decisions are left to MLS HQ personnel as is quite normal in most corporate entities. To me that speaks volumes.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

Bill please!!! come on now.....do you really need to be traveling first class, staying at the most expensive hotels, eating at the most expensive restaurants and bring your spouse every time you have a meeting some where in Canada? let's be realistic here.

Again, you really like to change the subject or, at least, divert it away from the issue at hand. I was challenging your assertion that the CSA Executive, Board and Committees earn money in those positions. In case there are others out there that believe this common fallacy, they DO NOT earn any money! They are volunteers!

However, you diverted the issue to expenses but again you have got it wrong! I've never travelled first class - except once when Air Canada overbooked a flight and had to put us in first class (but for the economy fare). As for hotels, I've stayed at a real mix from Holiday Inns and Ramadas to Deltas and, occasionally, one of the Fairmont chain. The most expensive restaurants? Hardly! And when my spouse travels with me, she pays her own way!

So please stop making outrageous accusations about matters that you clearly know nothing about.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Don't change the subject. First you want them all to have been professional players and when I counter that you change your tune to they must have grown up immersed in a soccer culture. I suggest there are very few natural born Canadians who would fit that criterion and if we had all imports with 'funny' accents running soccer in Canada you would complain there are no real Canadians involved.

You must be wearing the same glasses piltdownman is using to read my posts, the only ones changing the subject here are you two, I repeat, I never said that in order to be part of the CSA executives you need to have played professionally, what I asked is how many of them have done so? you are the one opening the umbrella again, trying to justify people that should have never been involved in soccer in this country in the first place. Do you have a special motive to defend them?

Fist of all I would never complaint about any accents, as long as the person can do a responsible competent job, especially because I live in Toronto where accents are the norm.

So, I'd like to know what funny accents are you referring to, french? italian? portuguese? because last time I checked we already have too many with British funny accents, but wait, that's not an accent or is it?..... actually it's the key to get in positions of control in most soccer organizations in Canada even if they never kicked a ball back home!! but nobody is complaining about those accents, right?

We don't need any "natural born Canadians" (you mean born at home, not in a hospital right? LOL) to fit the criterion, all we need is true soccer people who want to be involved in the game for the game and not for the free trips, free dinners and free vacation time around the country and overseas.

quote:

And as for your last comment about travelling first class, while I might agree sometimes certain CSA folks do appear to go a bit too far, I don't begrudge our soccer leaders some creature comforts when they travel. It takes a lot of their time and they are all volunteers i.e. none are paid for their time. Would you do the job if you were required to travel everywhere by Greyhound, stay in Motel 8, hold meetings in church basements and eat at Harveys? Hyperbole to be sure but I hope you get the point.

Volunteers????? are you kidding? true volunteers are the people helping in the food banks, red cross, or even the ones working at the grassroots level of the sport, and this is only if they don't have their own child there, cause then what they're doing is for their kid really. But CSA or OSA suits volunteers? LOL....newsflash sir, they don't do any real work there, but actually if they travel everywhere by Greyhound, stay in Motel 8, hold meetings in church basements and eat at Harveys, then yes I would call the true volunteers and have mine and many other people's respect guarantee.

MLS teams taking prime markets out of the mix? are you kidding me? we have 5 million people in the GTA alone, why should we be represent by ONE CLUB only? There are countries around the world, where their professional league is run out of one single city you know!

Ted, where there's will power there's action. Toronto is my city too, I work here, I pay taxes, my sport is soccer and I don't want TFC to be the only representation of my city, one of the most multicultural cities in the world deserves to have different representations other than the Brtish one, this is long overdue imo.

There's enough money, room and soccer fans in the GTA alone, to at least have two to four more fully professional clubs. I'm sure the same goes for Quebec and BC.

Just get out of the box and make it happen CSA.

I have to agree with you the GTA can support a second and third pro team in league like the TOA, and yes BMO could have a ground share agreement ... with a TOA league team, and I am not suggesting TFC own a second team, the idea of one club one top level team needs to be held too as we see more pro teams develop.

Even better if as the Pan AMs a second stadia is built in a good location ... with ten k seats and able to sustain a pro club in future.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

My dictionary defines 'volunteer' as:

"Somebody who works without being paid"

Eric must have a different dictionary!

Volunteer: One who serves or offers his services for any undertaking of his own free will, often without expectation for payment

The actual definition does make room for payment.

^ Go grow a brain, loser, sorry idiot.

And that crosses the line.

In my opinion you have violated the TOS for this forum and until you apologize and/or have served an appropriate suspension I see no point in further conversation.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

I have to agree with you the GTA can support a second and third pro team in league like the TOA, and yes BMO could have a ground share agreement ... with a TOA league team, and I am not suggesting TFC own a second team, the idea of one club one top level team needs to be held too as we see more pro teams develop.

Even better if as the Pan AMs a second stadia is built in a good location ... with ten k seats and able to sustain a pro club in future.

The TFC and the LINXS monopoly and territorial rights on the GTA is a negative factor to the true growth and competitiveness of the sport in the area.

Actualy isn't it the real probleme for soccer in Canada, overlaping ? Every body is pulling his way, that leaves a weak CSA

Like PDL and Super Y is controled USL right ? CSL is control by ,seriously I don't know ?

If TOA or anybody who had sense in this country to form a real natioal D2 and all the provincials soccer associations (D3)would get togheter and elect a real chairman. A team of executives from all over the country who knows international soccer and ready to pay for them !

I know i'm simply dreaming !

Archived