Oct 24: Toronto at New York [R]

RS

^ I'm not talking directly to you, but rather all of you Impact supporters who are always looking to bait everyone else on this forum.

As far as sports rivalries go, be careful what you wish for. Do you want to see a day where you can't come to Toronto to watch CMNT games because some TFC supporters have a score to settle?

edit: Hated rival? We've played the CCL for 2 years, how the hell are TFC and the Impact hated rivals? I guess if that's what you guys want, so be it...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Just to add one point to what my fellow Impact supporters have said, as has already been pointed out some of the players who choked for TFC and the same guys who choked for Canada in WCQ and also went out partying afterwards. Maybe as Canada fans we should be happy that some of their characters are being revealed so our next coach can take this into consideration when the MNT is being selected.

This is a very interesting observation. And in both cases the coach seemed to be getting the brunt of the blame.

I wonder how much Jim Brennan has to do with this? He has become a coach killer, imo.

Honestly I couldn't be happier when I read the score line last night which read NYRB 5 TFC 0, in fact I'm still quite gitty about it. The fact remains though that this shows the lack of depth we had on our MNT roster last WCQ. The fact is that when you have 4-5 NT team starters on a club team and that club team struggles to score goals against at team like NY and is able to concede 5, what does that say about us going into the next cycle of WCQ???

We keep on ****ting on the CSA and all but maybe its time we start thinking that guys like Dero, Serioux, De Guzman, and Gerba just aren't able of elevating their game when it comes to clutch situations.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Of course the CSA could introduce promotion and relegaton in the Voyageurs Cup.. opps wait.. that cant work they want the TFC gates.

Montreal would have been relegated this year, Vancouver last year. Nice try.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

^ I'm not talking directly to you, but rather all of you Impact supporters who are always looking to bait everyone else on this forum.

As far as sports rivalries go, be careful what you wish for. Do you want to see a day where you can't come to Toronto to watch CMNT games because some TFC supporters have a score to settle?

edit: Hated rival? We've played the CCL for 2 years, how the hell are TFC and the Impact hated rivals? I guess if that's what you guys want, so be it...

And TFC supporters never bait anyone or talk trash on this forum? smiley-rolleyes008.gif Like in every country, there are some guys who are more neutral supporters of every Canadian club and some who are hardcore fans of one club and despise their rivals. I would dispute any contention that the latter are less Canada fans or less important for Canadian soccer than the former. If anything they are the type of passionate fan we need to grow the sport in Canada and will be the ones supporting Canada the strongest when it comes to national team games.

Yes, we are hated rivals despite the rivalry being not very old. If TFC fans are so loving to Montreal fans why have I been spit on, racially insulted (because they thought I was French) and had beer thrown in my face both years that I have been in Toronto and that is not even by the supporters groups but by the regular fans who sit near the away fans. I am not complaining or saying the TFC fans have been treated better in Montreal, it is part of being travelling away support but yeah, I am going to be happy when TFC gets its ass kicked and fails and make absolutely no apology about it. If security does their jobs properly these incidents don't escalate and with the exception of the first TFC game in Montreal security has handled things well in the other 3 games.

As far as coming together for Canada games, I imagine that if Fenerbahce, Galatassaray and Besiktas fans can come together for Turkish games that we can probably manage to do the same here. In fact, I think the only guy that I and many of the other Montreal supporters wouldn't welcome to a Voyageurs supporters section in Montreal is an Impact supporter or at least claims to be one. Intense rivalry at the club level is a part of soccer culture throughout the world, if you don't like it maybe you should choose another sport to follow.

Actually, i clearly remember alot (not all) of TFC fans supporting Montreal during their CCL run. You guys were probably too busy blowing each other to notice though. Then, when TFC won this year alot (again, not all) of Montreal fans did not return the favour and actually wanted us to fail. Whatever.

Maybe if TFC wasn't a shame when it comes to dedication to the game and didn't look heartless on the pitch so many times it would have been easier to cheer for them. Sure there are Impact and Vancouver supporters that just hate the team, but many others simply just doesn't wish them good. If TFC was an exciting team to watch that shows perseverence with all those MNT players, I guarantee you that would be different.

Had the Impact fail to win the championship, many TFC fans would have say "Good on them, that's all they deserve cause their performance in the canadian championship was a shame for canadian soccer". Not everyone would have posted it but they would still think the same. Didn't you notice that the majority of TFC fans cheered for Vancouver during the USL finals ? Try to be honest for one second. You feel good afterwards. Why didn't TFC fans return us the favor of giving them the Voyageurs Cup ? Because they said the Impact's performance was totally unworthy of any future support from their part. And you expect us to root for TFC, even when it was for the CCL ?

Now, it's payback time. When you hit someone, expect him to hit you back. That performance by TFC in the CCL was way more pathetic than us putting that fact in your face. That was a shame for canadian soccer as was saturday's performance because of the presence of many MNT players. That was a disgrace. They didn't represent the maple leaf with heart. You know, I could continue like that forever to make you feal cheap because you support TFC like it was done after the 6-1 game for Impact fans.

Your blind hatred of all things Toronto is rather sad and pathetic.

Do you honestly think there's even half a Torontonian cheering for one of Montreal's team ? Every time a Montreal-based team loses there are Torontonians on every boards making fun of Montreal fans. I'm not sure you're less blinded by your TO POV than you think we are. People are joking abou TO's losing tradition in sports, so what ? Maybe it's time to get over it.

And TFC supporters never bait anyone or talk trash on this forum? smiley-rolleyes008.gif Like in every country, there are some guys who are more neutral supporters of every Canadian club and some who are hardcore fans of one club and despise their rivals. I would dispute any contention that the latter are less Canada fans or less important for Canadian soccer than the former. If anything they are the type of passionate fan we need to grow the sport in Canada and will be the ones supporting Canada the strongest when it comes to national team games.

Yes, we are hated rivals despite the rivalry being not very old. If TFC fans are so loving to Montreal fans why have I been spit on, racially insulted (because they thought I was French) and had beer thrown in my face both years that I have been in Toronto and that is not even by the supporters groups but by the regular fans who sit near the away fans. I am not complaining or saying the TFC fans have been treated better in Montreal, it is part of being travelling away support but yeah, I am going to be happy when TFC gets its ass kicked and fails and make absolutely no apology about it. If security does their jobs properly these incidents don't escalate and with the exception of the first TFC game in Montreal security has handled things well in the other 3 games.

As far as coming together for Canada games, I imagine that if Fenerbahce, Galatassaray and Besiktas fans can come together for Turkish games that we can probably manage to do the same here. In fact, I think the only guy that I and many of the other Montreal supporters wouldn't welcome to a Voyageurs supporters section in Montreal is an Impact supporter or at least claims to be one. Intense rivalry at the club level is a part of soccer culture throughout the world, if you don't like it maybe you should choose another sport to follow.

Bullseye.

Just listened to TFCtv's post game interviews and am struck by the fact that the guys interviewed are the young, rookie, low paid players instead of the experienced veterans. If I were a TFC fan I would expect guys like the captain Brennan, DeRo and De Guzman to be giving the interviews and explaining what happened to the fans as well as apologizing. For one thing, that is one reason they are making the big bucks and are the team leaders. The fact that they let two MLS rookies give the interviews probably is pretty indicative of the problems with this team.

For all the Impact fans piling on TFC right now, I urge you to compare this thread to this thread. You'll notice that there is very little said from TFC fans after Montreal blew a 4-1 lead in the second half of what some might consider an equally important game.

Team rivalries are great but using every</u> available opportunity to pile on gets a little tiresome after awhile. It's stuff like this that gives the Voyageurs forum a bad name.

For my part, I figured squeaking into the post-season would've served as a smokescreen to cover up the real problems in this club, so I'm moderately glad they didn't make it. Maybe there will be some changes, but from the sounds of the Globe and Mail article, I doubt it.

My main point of contention was that Montreal fans felt they were trash talked by TFC fans during their CCL run and that they were only returning the favour. I think that's been proven to be wrong.

If as Grizzly says, Impact fans have been mistreated when coming to Toronto then i can understand why you would feel the way you do and i wouldn't expect you to support TFC - ever. If the reverse had happened, i'd hate the Impact too.

DeRo not pointing fingers (but really, he is):

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/715844--season-ending-disaster-for-tfc

"I'm gutted," Dwayne De Rosario said in a sombre dressing room at Giants Stadium.

While refusing to name specific players, De Rosario, the team's leading scorer on the season, openly questioned the heart of some of his teammates.

"Obviously right now I'm in a position where I could point fingers but for me to do that is pretty pointless," said De Rosario, who will miss the playoffs for the first time in his nine seasons in the league.

"All I can do is look at myself and be honest and say I tried to do my best."

edit: This team could have been one of the top teams in the league if they weren't so mentally weak:

TFC surrendered a league-worst 15 goals in the final quarter of an hour of games this season. Eight times that saw them lose or tie, a loss of 15 points in the standings.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Team rivalries are great but using every</u> available opportunity to pile on gets a little tiresome after awhile. It's stuff like this that gives the Voyageurs forum a bad name.

Meh, I think the "hatred" is all good for the game in Canada especially once Canada gets more MLS teams. I mean we all either hate or love the Maple Leafs and that helps increase passion in hockey.

And by no stretch of the imagination does TFC's epic choke last weekend hurt the NT.

Just listened to TFCtv's post game interviews and am struck by the fact that the guys interviewed are the young, rookie, low paid players instead of the experienced veterans. If I were a TFC fan I would expect guys like the captain Brennan, DeRo and De Guzman to be giving the interviews and explaining what happened to the fans as well as apologizing. For one thing, that is one reason they are making the big bucks and are the team leaders. The fact that they let two MLS rookies give the interviews probably is pretty indicative of the problems with this team.

Probably too busy showering and getting ready to go party at some New York night club....

I gotta say I'm a little tired of all this Impact v. TFC stuff on this board. To be quite honest, I don't hink this should be allowed. This is a gathering place for Canadian soccer fans to support our National teams. I have no problem with Impact fans recoicing in TFC's misery. I just don't think this is the place to celebrate. That can happen on the Ultras forum.

Saturday showed why Serioux is not a CB. I won't put the blame on him though. He was raised as a midfielder and plays CB with that mentality. If he can not make the adjustment, we just have to live that. The problem is with coaches who insist on playing him in that position.

I have no doubt that Serioux would be a capable defensive midfielder in this league. Yet if he continues to play in the back line, he will continue to look poor.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I gotta say I'm a little tired of all this Impact v. TFC stuff on this board. To be quite honest, I don't hink this should be allowed. This is a gathering place for Canadian soccer fans to support our National teams. I have no problem with Impact fans recoicing in TFC's misery. I just don't think this is the place to celebrate. That can happen on the Ultras forum.

The solution is to just have one "rivalries" thread to confine the trash-talking to one place.

DeRo not pointing fingers (but really, he is):

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/715844--season-ending-disaster-for-tfc

"I'm gutted," Dwayne De Rosario said in a sombre dressing room at Giants Stadium.

While refusing to name specific players, De Rosario, the team's leading scorer on the season, openly questioned the heart of some of his teammates.

"Obviously right now I'm in a position where I could point fingers but for me to do that is pretty pointless," said De Rosario, who will miss the playoffs for the first time in his nine seasons in the league.

"All I can do is look at myself and be honest and say I tried to do my best."

edit: This team could have been one of the top teams in the league if they weren't so mentally weak:

TFC surrendered a league-worst 15 goals in the final quarter of an hour of games this season. Eight times that saw them lose or tie, a loss of 15 points in the standings.

Who is this guy? What an absolute rubbish comment from a selfish player.

^^Nothing more needs to be said about the origin of the character problems on the team than to compare quotes:

Brian Edwards: I didn't do enough and I feel like the guys feel the same way about their performances.

DDR: All I can do is look at myself and be honest and say I tried to do my best.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

For all the Impact fans piling on TFC right now, I urge you to compare this thread to this thread. You'll notice that there is very little said from TFC fans after Montreal blew a 4-1 lead in the second half of what some might consider an equally important game.

I am confused .. who says it has a bad name, the Globe and Mail, the Star one of the Sun chain or some disgruntled individual you know who posts on a supporters forum ?

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

I am confused .. who says it has a bad name, the Globe and Mail, the Star one of the Sun chain or some disgruntled individual you know who posts on a supporters forum ?

The number of posters that have left over the last three years and what I've read on other forums.

The fact is a number of TFC fans don't like coming here anymore. That may not mean much to you but as someone who wants to make this place welcoming to everyone in order to grow the support for the National Teams, it means something to me.

^ if certain TFC supporters cant handle some dissenting opinions, then that is unfortunate. However, I don't believe it should be reason to stifle a growing rivalry between the supporters of the various clubs in Canada.

Amacpher makes a great point....just create a new subforum for rivalries and let all the trash talk happen there.

^ Second that FWIW. Some TFC fans seem to forget that the rivalry didn't started only on the basis of the old TO-MTL rivalry, but also because of the MLS vs. USL rivalry, something Vancouverites also contributed to. Actually, till recently we could read "MLS/USL sucks" more on this board than "TFC/Impact sucks". I find it more interesting to grow a rivalry between teams in the same league that play each other in the same context (which will happen soon) than between leagues. The first kind leads to more attention to canadian club soccer, the latter leads to nothing in the same department and in fact creates more fractioning to draw more attention in the media. Don't you think the media love the Habs-Leafs rivalry ?

Sure there are fans on both sides who like to cross the line, but that doesn't mean some thrash talk to grow a rivalry is bad for that. That would mean we should go back to prohibition since there's drunk people. A mixed club supporters sub-forum seems to be best idea.

I had a feeling this would come up. Please re-read what I've written.

Rivalries are great. They'll definitely help grow the game and I'm all for them. When Montreal plays TFC in the Voyageurs Cup, I'm more than happy to wade through 8 pages of pregame banter. Sometimes it's actually quite entertaining.

However, using every opportunity available to poke the other team's fans gets tiresome and, in fact, drives people away from here. I don't think I'm alone on this, but if I am, I'll gladly step aside.

Again, compare the two threads. Imagine the ****storm we would've had if TFC fans waxed poetic about what a disgrace the Impact were after ****ting the bed against Santos.

Archived