FIFA Rankings out, Canada moves up...

Metro

quote:Originally posted by loyola

53, that's our best ranking since August 1997.

We were ranked slightly higher in October 2007 - 51st overall. The Gold Cup from that summer paid dividends!

No matter how you break it down, though, 53rd place is not too shabby, considering we haven't played since July. Now if we can just take advantage of the international calendar (wishful thinking for the most part), we can stay at 53rd.

Very cool to see Canada ranked so high - but yes it is weird that in a month they didn't play a single game they'd move up so many spots. It's one of the reasons why the whole FIFA Rankings is so flawed.

To answer someone's question...

Canada's highest ranking was 40th in Dec. 1996

Canada's lowest ranking was 103rd in March 2007

Since July, Canada has moved up 39 spots in the FIFA Rankings.

Now here's a question...

Is Honduras REALLY ranked 35th in the World?

Are they really better than Ghana, Norway, Turkey, Japan, and Sweden?

^ I would suggest that Honduras's Starting XI would definitely give Turkey, Norway and Sweden a run for their money. I really like the Honduras talent. They have a couple of really top class players (Suazo, Palacios) and a solid core of 2nd tier players (Figueroa, de Leon, Costly, etc..). Their issue is lack of depth after their top 11-13 players.

Not sure how they would do vs. Ghana (super athletic) or Japan (fast and technical). I don't imagine they would embarass themselves though

I would have put money on them against Uruguay....

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ I would suggest that Honduras's Starting XI would definitely give Turkey, Norway and Sweden a run for their money. I really like the Honduras talent. They have a couple of really top class players (Suazo, Palacios) and a solid core of 2nd tier players (Figueroa, de Leon, Costly, etc..). Their issue is lack of depth after their top 11-13 players.

Not sure how they would do vs. Ghana (super athletic) or Japan (fast and technical). I don't imagine they would embarass themselves though

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I would have put money on them against Uruguay....

I concure that on paper, they have some great talent. And they are still an underrated side in many circles. But I am not so sure that in home and away tie against a south american 5th place opponent like Uruguay, that anyone other than mexico (in concacaf)could prevail for no other reason than the conditions. Mexico would have the high altitude advantage.

Similarlyfor Canada go into this round of WCQ, I felt that had they recahed the Hex, they would have had to finish third to go through.

^ Not so sure the condition favour Uruguay though. Saprissa and the Olimpico are just as hostile as the Centenario and in the case of the Olimpico it holds about as many people. SPS is about 10-15 degrees warmer than Montevideo this time of year. San Jose is about 700M higher altitude, has rain every day and they'll be playing on artifical turf.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

^Agreed. I like what Honduras has to offer (in their first X1). Latley I consider them on par with South American countries like Ecuador, Uragury and Columbia. Clearly better than Venuezula but not quite as good as Parugary.

I highly doubt that.

Although I havent seen too much from Ecuador, Uruguary and Columbia, the FIFA rankings would suggest they are all roughly the same calibare. Uruguay is 25 Columbia is 30 Honduras is 35 and Ecuador is 44. People who consider Honduras a minnow in world football(not suggesting you do) might be in for a surprise next year.

They have been ranked between 30-40 for a couple of years now but because they haven't been to a WC since 86 I doubt many people give them respect and because of this I wouldn't be surprised if they advance in the group stages in South Africa.

Edit...I believe it was 82 actually

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Although I havent seen too much from Ecuador, Uruguary and Columbia, the FIFA rankings would suggest they are all roughly the same calibare. Uruguay is 25 Columbia is 30 Honduras is 35 and Ecuador is 44. People who consider Honduras a minnow in world football(not suggesting you do) might be in for a surprise next year.

They have been ranked between 30-40 for a couple of years now but because they haven't been to a WC since 86 I doubt many people give them respect and because of this I wouldn't be surprised if they advance in the group stages in South Africa.

Edit...I believe it was 82 actually

Dude, are you new to soccer? When you used the FIFA rankings as an argument, I had a smile on my face.

Rule # 1: Don't look at the FIFA rankings to see how countries compare with each other. They are not an accurate guide minus the top five or six teams. USA is ranked higher than all those teams, but I gaurentee that Uruguay would clean their clocks out.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Dude, are you new to soccer? When you used the FIFA rankings as an argument, I had a smile on my face.

Rule # 1: Don't look at the FIFA rankings to see how countries compare with each other. They are not an accurate guide minus the top five or six teams. USA is ranked higher than all those teams, but I gaurentee that Uruguay would clean their clocks out.

Uruguay wouldn't clean the USA's clocks out, the states are a very good side who regularly beat Mexico a team that has been very successful themselves down in south america. Don't forget about the confederations cup.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

yes I am new to soccer I just started playing and watching two months ago....

dude please do me a favour and jump off the "the FIFA rankings are junk" bandwagon...

They give a general idea of where teams stand. USA deserve their top 20 ranking. Uruguary deserve to be in the top 30. Sounds pretty REALISTIC to me. By the way, why is it such a stretch for Honduras to be comparible to Uruguary? Is it because they are in CONCACAF?

Archived