U20 camp

turbo

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I take exception to your belittling our women's efforts on our behalf, even if you are doing it be extension. It seems as far as you are concerned the CSA is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.

I apologize if I belittled our women, not my intention. And yes as far as I am concerned the CSA is damned no matter what.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on, El Paso Texas to Tucson Arizona at just over 250 miles is hardly a transcontinental flight! Teams and players around the world travel much greater distances to away games on a regular basis. If the fortunes of a team are so dependent on a single player there is a much bigger problem with that team than a CSA national team training camp. This is undue whining.

Actually Smith appears to be flying to the Bay Area on Sat post-game for her Arizona game against hosts Stanford.

I think being a new coach to our beloved program warrants her actions of wanting to see as many players as possible from across our great land. She has already proven her intentions by the amount of players she and her staff have scouted. Take a good look at her camp track record. This may be the reason that time is so important to her. She seems to be following in the footsteps of the English WNT coach, and trying to get her hands in every age group so that she can develop the type of players she needs for the future. We will only have to wait and see if it works. One thing for sure, it is nice to see players who were cast away from other coaches and NTC programs getting a look at. No one can say she left players behind as has happend so many times in the past.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Anyone know why they brought in 4 keepers? Seems odd to have 20 field players for 16 roster spots, and 4 keepers for 2.

I think this is something that has to change for Canada with the new style of play it appears the WNT coach wants to play. With this style you have to be able to play the ball out of the back, deal with negative play (with out just booting it up field) and use the wide midfielders. Most things we have not seen from our keepers in the past. Tough having a new system, it will take the keepers time to adjust.

I completely agree with coach Morace to scout for talent wherever it might be ! It is not because you were not amongst the bests at the age of 14 that you are condemned to mediocrity the rest of your life. In my area, I know of two sisters who have been cut frow AAA teams at 14 and now belong to the soccer elite. What happened ? Those are two tall girls who grew up rapidly and unfortunately had not mastered their coordination by the time AAA teams were formed. Had they not persevered or AAA teams coaches stopped scouting for new talent (not to recognize they might have made a mistake when evaluating their potential), those talents would have been lost forever.

Let just hope coach Morace passes the word to lower levels of the CSA structure. As other nations invest more money in their national teams and we can't keep up to their spending level, we cannot afford anymore to spoil talent by officials stubborness not wanting to consider talent might develop outside their original picks. Not only does it give a chance to people not belonging to the national programs to join them but it put pressure on those who made them to keep working hard because they might lose their places who are no more granted in advance. So, everyone wins by being fair : those not selectioned continue to work hard and those who made it do the same because they know they might be kicked out if they stop improving.

quote:Originally posted by 18 Yards

I think being a new coach to our beloved program warrants her actions of wanting to see as many players as possible from across our great land. She has already proven her intentions by the amount of players she and her staff have scouted. Take a good look at her camp track record. This may be the reason that time is so important to her. She seems to be following in the footsteps of the English WNT coach, and trying to get her hands in every age group so that she can develop the type of players she needs for the future. We will only have to wait and see if it works. One thing for sure, it is nice to see players who were cast away from other coaches and NTC programs getting a look at. No one can say she left players behind as has happend so many times in the past.

quote:Originally posted by 18 Yards

First game on Thursday Canada 3 Mexico 3

Today looks like Canada 0 Mexico 1

Correcto. Morace's team lost 1-0. The Mexican goal was scored at the 38 minute by Liliana Godoy after a shot that escaped from Canadian keeper Genevieve Richard.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_U20WWC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1784

Even discounting the usual home press rose-coloured glasses, it sounds like we made out ok. They tape-delay streamed last year's women's CONCACAF U20's on the CONCACAF website, and hopefully they do the same this year in Guatemala so we can all enjoy the play and see things with our own eyes

The upside of the youth tournaments on the women's side is three teams come out of CONCACAF instead of just two in senior. We also have a long history of success in the CONCACAF tournaments right up to and including last year when we played a major role in eliminating both Mexican youth teams from the U17 and U20 World Cup (we are reigning CONCACAF U20 Women's Champions).

Minutes in the two-game series:

180	Laura Chénard

180	Gina Pacheco

180	Shannon Woeller 

178	Chelsea Stewart

165	Chloé Malette

162	Rachel Lamarre

141	Taylor Patterson

135	Alexandra Smith

110	Bahar Sansar

90	Molly Allen

90	Rehana Murani 

87	Dayle Colpitts 

58	Sarah Boucher

47	Shelina Zadorsky

45	Geneviève Richard

45	Lexi Marton 

25	Frederique Paradis

20	Hannah Rivkin

19	Elizabeth Hildebrandt

18	Jenna Richardson

15	Sara Paul

0	Victoria Correa-Parsons

0	Nicole Hill

0	Ranee Premji

I must say this about Morace, she knows where she is hurting. I quote her: "players must improve the qualities that are required at this level”. Of course the big question that remains is how, who or what will improve the quality of the players. Two camps a year? don't think so. Players by themselves? maybe a few highly motivated ones. Leagues they play on? maybe in the long range.

This is why national team coaches have to get involved with programs at lower levels to identify which skills have to be developed and the age those skills should be mastered. We need a development plan for coaches at all levels to know what is expected from them.

It's not up to the national team coaches to teach basic skills. By that stage it's too late.

Time to grow up Marton, it's a big tough world out there and you'd better learn to deal with it.

I agree with Richard.

Message to Marton:

It's not about what happens to you but how you deal with it. This was perhaps not the most astute way of dealing with the situation. But you're young and allowed mistakes. Figure out what is not working for you and DO WHAT YOU CAN TO CHANGE IT.

If I was on the periphery of the National Team and knew that the head coach was not a wiz at languages, I would make an effort to learn some Italian...

Having said that, living in Canada, Morace should be working on her English and/or French. But I do understand that when you are new to a language and speak like a 5 yr old, it can be difficult to get your message across and can perhaps diminish some of your authority. While I speak Spanish and Italian, in a serious business setting I would want a translator so that I did not diminish my ideas and arguments due to lack of vocabulary.

^ When did you last have an English language conversation with Ms Morace to put in a position to pass such judgement?

Richard coming up to a one year anniversary .. its valid to begin asking when she is going to pick up the language.

Question ... is she enrolled in a language class ?

Is she activly trying to speak the language in social situations ?

It does not take a year to develop the necessary language skill to coach in a second language, the vocabulary of a coach is frankly very small, she should be doing better at this critical skill.

quote:Originally posted by soccertaxi

Having said that, living in Canada, Morace should be working on her English and/or French. But I do understand that when you are new to a language and speak like a 5 yr old, it can be difficult to get your message across and can perhaps diminish some of your authority. While I speak Spanish and Italian, in a serious business setting I would want a translator so that I did not diminish my ideas and arguments due to lack of vocabulary.

I saw her at the Soccer Centre in Toronto and she was speaking english, much better than many coaches I've seen coaching in Toronto. I think it's just easier to blame the translator if something goes wrong. But I agree with you soccertaxi, you don't want to feel diminish as a coach for your lack of "CSA coaching terminology" when you're coaching :D

News flash - Marton and Lamarre are not only right but honest. It's painful and annoying to play for a coach who doesn't speak your language. Same as working for someone or a personal relationship. Remember that day-long trip sitting beside the guy/girl who couldn't speak English? That's right, spent a lot of time reading and staring out the window that day.

But in this situation I think language is more a a "nicety" than a need. What matters is can these kids play and can this woman coach? In Lexi Marton's case have we EVER had a defender her age with a bio like hers? I think the only person who comes close is Candace Chapman and she's been the anchor at the back since she graduated U20 eight years ago. Lamarre? Any fan of the game who watched the World Cup last year fell in love with her silky play (and that wonderful grin). She was a treat and special.

In coaching what matters is things like talent identification, tactical analysis, leadership, intelligence and psychology. Yes you need language for some of that but for the majority it is completely unnecessary. And if you win the World Cup as a coach (or even perform exceptionally well) it doesn't matter if you don't speak even one single syllable of the countries language - you will not only receive an immediate long-term lucrative contract, you will be deified in the local culture.

The only place everyone gets along and smiles all the time is Disneyland. What matters is how you play, not how you talk or what you say.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Hey Richard, I am not working for you. If you want to refute what I posted, you get the proof yourself!

Then phrase you post as an opinion, not an apparent statement of fact.

Expression of opinion is fine and we do it all the time but don't express it as if it is a statement of fact without being willing and able to back it up.

You can claim that the moon is made of green cheese if you like then leave it up to everybody else to prove you're wrong. But don't then continue to believe it will leave you with even a modicum of credibility.

Archived