Michael Nonni on TV 9/11 on FSC

Gaucho

I hope y'all don't mind me making this into its own topic (past Nonni updates have been posted in the "other leagues" sub-board), but I wanted to draw attention to this upcoming match.

For those that don't already know, Michael Nonni joined UC Santa Barbara this fall as a freshman. He scored 2 goals in an exhibition and has since contributed 2 more goals and 3 assists to help lead us to an early 3-0-0 record that has earned us a ranking as hign as #4 in the nation.

We take on Rutgers at home Friday Sept. 11 which will be shown live on Fox Soccer Channel. So, if you get FSC up in the Great White North and are interested in checking out a promising Canadian youngster, check it out. Btw, we are the only university to be featured on FSC twice this year, and we will be hosting the College Cup in 2010 (college's Final Four). Don't miss our rematch of the 2004 national title game versus Indiana on Oct. 2. We may actually fill the stadium for that match(17,000).

Preview of the match with a photo featuring Nonni:

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/090909aaj.html

I got my first real look at Nonni. He's a stud... on the NCAA level anyway.

He added another goal and an assist in a 4-0 domination of Rutgers. He should have had 2 goals but missed an pretty easy opportunity. He's got a nice frame, but still has very good speed with the confidence and ability to beat defenders. He played with great effort, even chasing guys from his forward position deep into our defense.

Anyone else watch the match?

Thank you, Canada!

Go Gauchos!

Oh, and I came across this hilarious and exceptionally written article that includes quotes by Nonni, Rosenlund, and Rob Friend. I thought some of you may enjoy it:

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/091109aaa.html

^ hard to get a feel for Nonni's game from that video, especially because its hard to judge the quality of players he is playing against, but from what I saw, he looked like a nice player. Nice little hesitation move to set up that first goal. Scored a pretty easy goal as well.

Hopefully UCSB makes a deep run in the NCAA season ending tournament to see what he does against higher quality competition.

• 3 weeks later...

The Gauchos and Nonni welcome Indiana Friday at 8:00 PM Pacific time in a Fox Soccer Channel televised match. This is a rematch of the 2004 NCAA championship match which we lost in PK's.

We are hoping to break the NCAA attendance record which I think we might do. I would be surprised if we had fewer than 10,000 at the match. Should be a fun match.

Nonni continues to start and rack up assists and goals. In our last match versus conference rival and ranked UC Irvine, Nonni earned a PK call which set up the only goal of the match in a 1-0 win.

The match preview included this about Nonni:

• Freshman Phenomenon

Freshman Michael Nonni leads the Gauchos with 13 points on the season - first on the team with five assists and tied for first on the team with four goals. Nonni scored his fourth goal of the season and first in four games in the 46th minute against San Diego State. His season average of 1.44 points per game ranks 50th nationally, while his 0.56 assists per game is 37th amidst Division I players. If Nonni stays on his current trajectory, he could end the season as the first Gaucho freshman in the Tim Vom Steeg era (1998-present) to lead the program for points in a season.

Go Gauchos!

Archived