montrealmls2011.com registered by Saputo

SteveBeau

• 2 months later...

If Saputo has the cash and wants to play MLS in 2011 I'm sure some sort of expansion format could be worked out which would be both agreeable to MLS and the Montreal organization.

Hell, I'm sure Saputo & Co. would happily just "promote" into MLS with whatever squad they have on contract at the time. Thank you, but no expansion draft required.

If they get in for 2011, wow. The football landscape across Canada/USA will have completely transformed in the last 5 years. Incredible.

Has Portland's stadium situation been resolved? I'm not saying they would lose their franchise (and they shouldn't), but could they be pushed back a year to allow more time for everything to get built/renovated? I'm not sure MLS should expand by more then 2 teams at a time, and Montreal's expansion could easily be a flexible situation.

quote:Originally posted by MTL_4_LIFE

They still have to work on some parts of the deal. And if Montreal does join the league I would like to see something confirming us before First Kick next year. (whatever that means)

Like the MLS cup !Wich would be more logical,since everybody knows it will happen. [:o)]

^ it will be announced at First Kick next year. Great news preceding 1st game of the year is just a smart marketing decision. If they announce it now, it will just feel too far away.

Announcing it in 2010 makes it feel more imminent. We are now deeply in hockey, basketball and pointyball season,which just ensures that this story will get lost.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ it will be announced at First Kick next year. Great news preceding 1st game of the year is just a smart marketing decision. If they announce it now, it will just feel too far away.

Announcing it in 2010 makes it feel more imminent. We are now deeply in hockey, basketball and pointyball season,which just ensures that this story will get lost.

Well, if it is true they could announce it now and in 2010 Joey and Don can get together in Montreal and make it offical.

^ it is true, it will happen and it will be announced in 2010.

Obviously some details need to be worked out but this is not going to be a repeat of the last time, when Montreal got kicked to the curb. MLS wants Montreal, Saputo now wants MLS and it will be signed, sealed and delivered by next spring. And, as Martha Stewart likes to say, "its a good thing".

^ From this Associated Press article:

The only existing, soccer-ready stadium in Montreal is 14,000-seat Saputo Stadium. That's home to potential MLS owner Joey Saputo's team in a second-division league.

It always makes me ROTFLMAO (nothing less) each and every time I hear this. Why can't they simply tell it like it is ! They didn't play in the 'SDL' last year ('Second Division League'), this league HAS A NAME and it is called (at least was till recently) the USL First Division ! This laziness when it comes to soccer among NA-based journalists in mass media is just utterly pathetic.

Archived