Odds for players chosing for/against Canada

Saviola7

quote:Originally posted by finchster

David Hoilett is creating options I think he will hold out to get English citizenship and see where his career is and keep his options open. I thought it was foolish but the fact that he rejected both Canada and Jamaica on different occasions makes me think he is keeping his options open for this reason. He is 19 right now he has a few I never thought of that good point.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I think you are spot on.

Does the negativity with Hoilett come from being gun shy or is there any real evidence that he is looking for other options?

I know we can't take familial leanings for much, but the fact that Janeil played for the U17s (or was it U20s) is a good sign.

I don't want to seem too negative here but I'm a realist! There aren't many quality players who have ever delayed on making their decision and then finally chosen Canada! This is just opinion, but I think I'm right in saying there is little to no chance that Hoilett will ever play for us! I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so!

The problem with rating Fernandes so high is that he is a goalkeeper and only 26, he still has many years before he peaks. While he might suit up for Canada I can only imagine it being 4-5 years from now and a lot can happen in that time. Hart should be calling this guy non stop, we need a goalkeeper bad.

We should know in about 2 1/2 years (or less) when the Portuguese name their squad for Euro 2012. If Fernandes isn't capped by then i'd like to think he'd come back to play for Canada in 2014 qualifying. He'll be 29 by then so time will be running out for him.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

We should know in about 2 1/2 years (or less) when the Portuguese name their squad for Euro 2012. If Fernandes isn't capped by then i'd like to think he'd come back to play for Canada in 2014 qualifying. He'll be 29 by then so time will be running out for him.

Well you might be correct that in 2 1/2 years we will know but there is just too much time in between then and now to be almost certain like you are that he will play for us. Maybe rednation can get an interview with this guy haha and see if he has any interest at all.

Well you might be correct that in 2 1/2 years we will know but there is just too much time in between then and now to be almost certain like you are that he will play for us. Maybe rednation can get an interview with this guy haha and see if he has any interest at all.

There's alot that can happen, but right now he's currently 5th or lower on the Portuguese depth chart and that includes 21 year old Rui Patricio who's probably going to be the long-term #1 in a few years. Daniel is going to need to fix his club situation first and then regroup to make a run for a spot on the Euro 2012 roster. If he doesn't get back into the Portuguese picture, he's got to figure he's got a good shot at the #1 spot with Canada.

Anyways, i've got a hunch we might be seeing Fernandes come back to play for Canada.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Does the negativity with Hoilett come from being gun shy or is there any real evidence that he is looking for other options?

I know we can't take familial leanings for much, but the fact that Janeil played for the U17s (or was it U20s) is a good sign.

Pretty much what Gator said

As well we all know that playing in Europe is the dream of many players and all the money that goes along with that. With that said if Hoilett is still thinking of making an international decision why would he commit to Canada or Jamaica right now? So he can fly to Macedonia and get beat 3-0? Or win 1-0 vs Saint Kitts (I would rather play against Saint Kitts because it is probably a nicer place to visit after this rain I am experiencing now)?

I would love it if Hoilett would commit to Canada right now, he would probably be a starter for us. But when you realize players don’t play for nations for pride they do so for the best possible outcomes for their career you can see why he is waiting on his choice. Quite honestly there are few possible scenarios I see Holiett playing for us, and usually it involves us succeeding in WCQ and he is not on the English radar at all. Also he could play for Jamaica in the same situation if they succeed in WCQ the next go around and is not on the English radar. If he is a Star in the EPL however and tells the English FA he is interested in playing for them he will take this chance.

If we got to 2010 Begovic, Lensky, and Holiett would all be playing for us right now, as well players like Vitoria, Fernandes and Jonothan De guzman could have been brought back to the fray. The sad fact is we will continue to leak players like a basket until we succeed and players see Canada as a viable option. Even if the CSA is reformed and our national team is doing well we will always be at risk for a defection because of the nature of our population.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Hopefully by that time some of our younger keepers (Street?) will be coming into their own and we won't need to call Fernandes.

If in 2.5 years we are still using keepers who warm benches on mediocre teams, are unattached, or play in the Norwegian second tier, that would suck :(

quote:Originally posted by gator

I don't want to seem too negative here but I'm a realist! There aren't many quality players who have ever delayed on making their decision and then finally chosen Canada! This is just opinion, but I think I'm right in saying there is little to no chance that Hoilett will ever play for us! I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so!

yeah, i agree...i have zero hope that he will play for canada...his excuses are weak which indicates that he wants something else...thats how it has always played out when a player has said something like 'he has to get his club situation sorted out first'....there is no precedent for any player balking at canada who eventually chose canada...my guess is he will play for jamaica eventually.

i have a hard time believing that he will be enough quality to play for england, but i always thought the same about the whore, who had a decent international career there, so i guess it is possible.

• 7 months later...

After the World Cup:

Jonathon de Guzman: 20% - Considers himself Dutch. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine him cracking their midfield at any point in the near future. I still say he'll hold out until EURO 2012 before switching.

Daniel Fernandes: 0.1% - Still can change correct? Rather unlikely now though considering he was on their WC squad.

Steven Vitoria: 70% - If we can call up Pedro Pacheco, why not give him a shot?

David Hoilett: 65%

O'Brian White: 25% - Got the TFC boys working on him ...

Teal Bunbury: 25% - Is he even talented enough to represent the USA anyway?

Anyone else?

Jono deGuzman has little to no chance of being an impact player for the Dutch in the near future! He's been released by his club team in Holland and rumours have him going to Newcastle! I know injuries have been a factor for him and have slowed his progress! You would think that playing with his brother for Canada would be a viable option for him now but I doubt it!

Am I the only one who things Jonathon De Guzman has a mucho higher chance of playing for Canada than anything I see posted here?

According to Twitter, he was "so proud to be Dutch" or something to that effect after the semi-final. I became much more pessimistic after reading that.

Next summer is the Gold Cup. That will be the moment of truth for a lot of them. We should try and cap as many as we can when the rosters are getting formed. The big problem is that a lot of those guys are still in their early twenties, and because of that, they can improve their play and get called up by the countries they want to represent. If they feel confident in their abilities, they might still wait it out and see. I see a guy like jono doing this. However, if they feel it's now or never for them, they might opt for us. I think I could see Vittoria doing this.

According to Twitter, he was "so proud to be Dutch" or something to that effect after the semi-final. I became much more pessimistic after reading that.

Judas considers himself Dutch and Canadian there's a chance that he might pull on the the maple leaf in the future. I hope Judas will see that he could make such a difference by giving young Canadians an elite role model as soccer grows in Canada instead of being just another good Dutch player.

• 3 months later...

After the 2 sets of EURO qualifiers:

Jonathon de Guzman: 22% - Still not called up by the Dutch.

Daniel Fernandes: 0.2% - I assume he can still change back since he hasn't actually seen the pitch in an official match for Portugal yet. On the other hand, maybe the 'only change once' rule applies here and he's not allowed to change back.

Steven Vitoria: 75% - If we can call up Pedro Pacheco, why not give him a shot?

David Hoilett: 67% - Still mulling ...

Teal Bunbury: 26% - Still mulling ...

Canada's poaching/getting poached record since Jan 1, 2000 (feel free to add):

Got poached:

OH, Begovic, Lensky

Poached:

-

Players that played for Canada who were not likely to play for their preferred country:

Bircham, Pacheco, De Jong

I think we really have to move on here! None of the fence sitters seem like they are interested in playing for us, lets concern ourselves with the guys that are proud to wear the Maple Leaf! Do you really want to go to Central America in a hostile atmosphere with someone who's heart isn't in it? Someone mentioned in a previous discussion that DeJong is the only player whoever delayed his decision and then chose Canada, I don't think he really was in the Dutch plans anyway!

I will do this again

Jonathon de Guzman: 10% (little hope)

<s>Asmir Begovic: 0%</s>

Daniel Fernandes: 10% (Wasn't called to their matches against Bosina I will put this percentage up if he doesn't get called to the world cup)

<s>Jacob Lensky: 0%</s>(I fliped a coin and I was wrong)

Steven Vitoria: 70% (I haven't heard anything in a while, hart give him a call)

David Hoilett: 30% (got called by Hart and did not come down 20%)

Jonathon de Guzman: 35% (up 25%) Not called up by the Dutch, doesn't seem to be on their radar. Hart said he was going to visit him to see what could be done. His percentage goes up but not better than 50/50 until I see what comes of Harts visit.

Daniel Fernandes: 2% (down 8%) got called up for the world cup but didn't play, we won't see him in red and white.

Steven Vitoria: 50% (down 20%). No longer owned by Porto, signed with Estoril-Praia of the Portuguese second division. Unlike De Guzman or Fernandes, Vitoria is a guy we don’t really need. Having the most depth will always help out, but I would be fine with the CSA making an example of him to try and discourage other players from doing the same thing. His percentage is only down because of that, otherwise it is a 90% chance we see this guy play for Canada.

David Holilett 60% (up 30%) said he would prefer to play for Canada, so I would prefer to give him better than coin flip odds. Better back his words up with something soon

Teal bunbury 50% I am going with a coin flip here.

Jonathon de Guzman: 35% (up 25%) Not called up by the Dutch, doesn't seem to be on their radar. Hart said he was going to visit him to see what could be done. His percentage goes up but not better than 50/50 until I see what comes of Harts visit.

When did Hart say he was going to be approaching fence-sitting players? He was going to be speaking with JDG2 and Hoilett, I know, but what about Vitoria and Fernandez?

When did Hart say he was going to be approaching fence-sitting players? He was going to be speaking with JDG2 and Hoilett, I know, but what about Vitoria and Fernandez?

There was an interview on the score after one of the home friendlies and Hart said he was going to travel to spain to talk to Jono. I never metioned anything, or heard anything about Fernandez or Vitoria

After the 2 sets of EURO qualifiers:

Jonathon de Guzman: 22% - Still not called up by the Dutch.

Daniel Fernandes: 0.2% - I assume he can still change back since he hasn't actually seen the pitch in an official match for Portugal yet. On the other hand, maybe the 'only change once' rule applies here and he's not allowed to change back.

Steven Vitoria: 75% - If we can call up Pedro Pacheco, why not give him a shot?

David Hoilett: 67% - Still mulling ...

Teal Bunbury: 26% - Still mulling ...

Canada's poaching/getting poached record since Jan 1, 2000 (feel free to add):

Got poached:

OH, Begovic, Lensky

Poached:

-

Players that played for Canada who were not likely to play for their preferred country:

Bircham, Pacheco, De Jong

Daniel Fernandes is a gonzo. He played in Euro 08 qualifier so he's cap-tied to Portugal.

Archived