The Score boycott's Gold Cup

SamSeaborn

G-L, look at the first bounce and please tell me how the ball can come back that quickly to Ali's feet. It's around 2:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzmBOgMB50&feature=related

The only explanation is Ali having his arm in a Marvell Wynne position and that's why the ball didn't bounce that much.

As for the offside call in Honduras, you were the only one saying it was offside and the ref blew the whistle very late because his linesman was on the opposite side of the play. We clearly got a break on that one. Sadly I can't find a video of the play so we'll have to agree to disagree but my point remains our NT can't always act like we are the perpetual victim of everything that can go wrong in the world of soccer.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That video quality is so bad you can't tell anything either way, other than the 4 Mexicans watching the play and not objecting to anything in the slightest which strongly suggests there was no handling of the ball. Balls bounce all the time - you may think it was a hand, I suspect the Mexican team and Ali believed it to be gravity. The point is that pretending that these close calls that you can debate until the cows come home are supposed to make up for outrageously hideously bad calls in a tournament that is deliberately designed and organized to make money over any other purpose is the equivalent of burying one's head in the sand. And if you think people are spending too much time talking about it instead of focusing on where the team's deficiencies are, I suspect this is because the deficiencies are largely agreed upon on this board, whereas people keep stirring up this "the calls weren't bad" debate. In other words, if you want less discussion and focusing on bad calls and officiating, I doubt that this is the correct way to approach it. This started out as a thread about media support for the Canadian national team and somehow we are now talking about the hand of Gerba.

Just a note on the topic - Bravo for The Score. They may be very passionate, or they may recognize how excited we'd be about it and thus watch their shows more often. I don't really care the reason. This may put a scar on CONCACAF and it must happen. It may drive CSA to start asking questions much more boldly? I don't know. Regardless of The Score's motive, it was a stroke a genius. I very much applaud.

Re: the conspiracy - These kinds of things have been going on for so long how can you argue it? However, Canada does not develop enough quality especially for the $$$ in the country available, the playing population. .... I had a big rant about money, passion, and desire. I've cut it out. It's irrelevant. Fact is, Whitecaps, TFC, and Impact need to be snapping up as many top kids as possible and pouring dough into them to see who they can develop. Not just the select 18 players each year they deem fit, but a large large large proportion of players who may not be "the goods" until they are 19-20 (ala, David Beckham - highly skilled but extremely sleight for MUFC youth's program. They stuck with him when others would not have).

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Sadly I can't find a video of the play so we'll have to agree to disagree but my point remains our NT can't always act like we are the perpetual victim of everything that can go wrong in the world of soccer.

Also worth noting that if CONCACAF are trying to ensure a country with a minimal fanbase in the United States never makes the final they have been doing a bad job over the last decade given there have been appearances by Canada, Panama and Costa Rica and Costa Rica were a penalty shootout away from doing it again this time around.

Maybe the uproar over the Honduras game gave The Score an easy excuse to not cover something they were never very interested in covering anyway. More time to drone on about the Premiership, basically.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Maybe the uproar over the Honduras game gave The Score an easy excuse to not cover something they were never very interested in covering anyway. More time to drone on about the Premiership, basically.

I doubt that. They were very interested in it. Alot of people were interested in it. They even talked about the Gold Cup on the Dean Blundell Show.

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

What did Dean have to say about it?

I'm not too sure if they said anything about that incident as I don't remember listening to it the following Monday, but I definately remember Jason bringing them up during the group stages, and the others saying "good for them."

Archived