The Score boycott's Gold Cup

SamSeaborn

If anyone just caught what i caught on The Score Tonight with Sid & Tim please reply here, let's get some people aware of this!

Sid and Tim decided, along with their Score staff, infact the entire station, to boycott the Gold Cup by showing highlights but refusing to comment on them because of how Canada was "jobbed" in their words.

This is BRILLIANT and i was beaming at the fact SOMEONE with gravitas in the media caught on and decided to try and raise awareness

This is no time to bend over the bed and take it from behind, i stand up and applaud the Score for taking this head on and revealing the CONCACAF for what it is; a joke, a mockery, a international disgrace.

If anyone can find video of this or captured video of it please post for others to see.

If not, make sure to catch the Score Tonight on re-runs tonight or tomorrow morning, it happened at around the 45 minute mark, 7:45 pst for me

About time someone noticed and said they won't take this sh*t anymore!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny how things develop. I was sitting in a pub having post game drinks with my team tonight when I saw highlights of the GC semis on the tv. As usual there was no sound on the bar tv. I said "man I wish I could hear what they are saying"

How pleased I am now to find here this. Good on the Score for standing up for our boys. I only wish Craig and Gerry would not have been so polite in the post game comments.

The Score's reaction may be a good PR move for the station as it obviously pleases a segment of their domestic market but I am not sure that it will have any effect whatsoever on the Gold Cup or CONCACAF or anything else other than their ratings for that matter, but I doubt their intention was any broader than that anyway. Bit pointless and parochial in the grand scheme of things really.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The Score's reaction may be a good PR move for the station as it obviously pleases a segment of their domestic market but I am not sure that it will have any effect whatsoever on the Gold Cup or CONCACAF or anything else other than their ratings for that matter, but I doubt their intention was any broader than that anyway. Bit pointless and parochial in the grand scheme of things really.

Richard, I doubt they believe that their protest will affect sweeping changes across CONCACAF. However, at least they are doing something</u>. It's really nice to see parts of the media taking our soccer program seriously. I don't understand what use it is to crap on them for that.

You need a hug.

I think that this is a neat little gesture being done by The Score, members of an industry that has been no friend to Canadian football over the years.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Richard, I doubt they believe that their protest will affect sweeping changes across CONCACAF. However, at least they are doing something</u>. It's really nice to see parts of the media taking our soccer program seriously. I don't understand what use it is to crap on them for that.

Whose crapping on them? I am merely suggesting this is more of a PR move pandering to their viewer base than any kind of meaningful protest.

Whose crapping on them? I am merely suggesting this is more of a PR move pandering to their viewer base than any kind of meaningful protest.

Believe it or not, but Sid Seixeiro is a big soccer fan. So I am not surprised about this boycott. I am sure it was Sid's idea to boycott Gold Cup.

Believe it or not, but Sid Seixeiro is a big soccer fan. So I am not surprised about this boycott. I am sure it was Sid's idea to boycott Gold Cup.

You were by calling this initiative parochial and pointless rather than acknowledging it for what it is: a nice gesture.

To have a cynical view in saying that they are pandering to their audience is to overestimate how much of their audience follows Canadian soccer, in my opinion.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Any idea if either Sid or Tim lurk on this board? We should let them know we've taken notice, shoot some emails of support over to them.

Don't know if they do but outside of Sean Keay, James Sharman and Joe Ross of the Score have posted here in the past, so I am sure their colleagues will be made aware of any support for them on this board.

I'd be surprised if Sharman and that other English chap knew that Canada was playing in the Gold Cup, let alone 'jobbed'. Too busy following those exciting EPL club tours to Malaysia et al. Good on Mr Sid though.

Actually I have found that Sharman has been quite interested in following Canada lately. He had great interviews with JDG and Rob Friend last year.

He also participated in Julian de Guzman's charity event last june.

Not to mention that he posts here on a semi-regular basis.

It's not up to him to set the agenda for what sells, I'm sure the EPL-mania is just a matter of corporate direction.

What's with all the dissent guys?

Are we all just hurting after another disappointment at the GC?

Let's not forget how to applaud the positives.

^ Not hurting at all. And I did say 'good on Mr Sid'. Budgie and Paul James occasionally acknowledged that they were Cdn and injected some Cdn content. I haven't noticed any massive onslaught of Cdn coverage from the current soccer crew at the Score, just EPL, more EPL and of course, EPL.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I'd be surprised if Sharman and that other English chap knew that Canada was playing in the Gold Cup, let alone 'jobbed'. Too busy following those exciting EPL club tours to Malaysia et al. Good on Mr Sid though.

Actually on the latest Footy Show podcast Sharman at least did talk about how pathetic the officiating was in the Canada vs. Honduras match.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I'd be surprised if Sharman and that other English chap knew that Canada was playing in the Gold Cup, let alone 'jobbed'. Too busy following those exciting EPL club tours to Malaysia et al.

Maybe Sharman and "that other English chap" (I believe you're referring to Kristian Jack, who actually breaks a ton of TFC stories on his blog) are just following bosses orders as to what they "follow" on their show?

Ed, the on air staff at The Score (including Sharman) are actually quite interested in Canadian Soccer. Of course, senior management may have its own agenda and wants them to actively (and incessantly) promote their property (EPL football).

I'm happy to see that Sid (and Tim, but I think this is a Sid decision) spoke out. Canadian Soccer is becoming more and more of a mainstream sport, even if the progress seems too slow

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Actually on the latest Footy Show podcast Sharman at least did talk about how pathetic the officiating was in the Canada vs. Honduras match.

It seems that Joe Ross is a long suffering Canada fan and I believe is at least partly responsible for getting Sharman and Jack to talk more about Canada.

Things have definitely changed in the last three years or so at The Score. Their podcast usually touches on the Canadian scene at least once an episode.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Maybe Sharman and "that other English chap" (I believe you're referring to Kristian Jack, who actually breaks a ton of TFC stories on his blog) are just following bosses orders as to what they "follow" on their show?

Might be. Does his hair resemble prairie road kill? If so, that's him. But Rudi, surely you are not assuming TFC content = Cdn content?

And I don't follow the podcasts. I am talking about on air.

Actually, I have found James Sharman and the score's coverage of Canadian soccer as of late to be fantastic. As a matter of fact, Sharman had a segment where he brings time in the past where canada has been screwed by concacaf officating, including this years gold cup, the infamous incident against the americans in the last gold cup, and even mentions the slip called a penalty during 2006 WCQ against Honduras at Commonwealth.

Archived