Jeux de la Francophonie 2009 schedule

loyola

According to the CSA website, we will send our U-20 squad to represent Canada in the next Jeux de la Francophonie in September in Lebanon. In the group stage we'll play Congo (Sept 26th), France (Sept 28th) and Morocco (Septh 30th).

This is great. This group of U20's got the short end of the stick in terms of prep and then missed out on qualifying so this will be a good experience for them.

Congo lost 2-0 agg. in the 2nd round of African qualifiers to eventual CAF runners-up Cameroon so they should be a decent side. Morocco lost 6-3 agg. to Benin in the 1st round, so probably not as strong as our other 2 opponents.

France won their prelim. group by defeating Slovenia and Luxembourg, and drawing Greece. They finished second in the elite qualification group to Italy which is how they missed out on the U19 Euro Champ. They beat Sweden 2-1, lost to Italy 2-0 and beat Switzerland 3-2. We drew the Swiss 90's 1-1, the squad France played were the 89's.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Roberto Stillo has been called up for Canada's U20 team at the Francophone games.

French, Italian...close enough ;) How much you wanna bet JLL gets the other call-up as a dual keeper-translator?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Roberto Stillo has been called up for Canada's U20 team at the Francophone games.

I'd be a bit surprised if Robert ends up playing in this tournament. Its possible but I'd be surprised.

He's fighting to be the starter for Genoa's Primavera team this year (reserves). Genoa recently brought in a new younger Italian keeper who is part of Italy's youth national team system. Clearly they are pressuring Robert and all the other young keepers in their system.

Personally, I think he's better off to stay at his club right now. In fact, I'd be surprised if many players who are connected to pro clubs in Europe would be keen to accept this invite. Clubs are not obligated to let their players leave.

I think the best strategy is to use for this tournament is to give some exposure to players at the next tier down (college players, young CSL/PCSL players, etc...).

This is not a high priority tournament, just like playing at the Commonwealth games (if they even have soccer) would not be a high priority. but for some players, who are fighting and clawing to become professionals, the opportunity to represent Canada and maybe get a little exposure might be just the ticket.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by CanucksFirst

will tony fonseca be coaching the u20s again for this tournament? will 89s and 90s both be eligible?

Yes, Fonseca is head coach

yes, 89s and 90s are eligible, although I personally would prefer to see only 91's and 92s.

I'd prefer to see our best team out there. If this were 2007 sure go with 89s and 90s but 89s and 90s won't get any international youth matches before U23 qualifiers and they are eligible so it would be good as this would be their last competition till then. Also we have some very good 89s such as Gala, Suprenant, Attakora, Haber, Saiko etc. if we were lucky enough to have any of them released.

^ Guys like Gala, Suprenant, Attakora, Haber, Saiko, etc.... will never be released for this tournament.

I think it is better for this tournament to be used to get ready for the 2011 qualifying cycle, which is only 16-17 months away. For that reason, use the players who can actually be part of that team.

There will undoubtedly be a few 89's and 90's on this squad, out of necessity.

^ that assumes that France will be taking a team of 20 year olds? Somehow I doubt it. 20 year olds are playing pro and aren't going to leave their clubs for a meaningless tourney. I bet they take a young side.

congo? who knows. the passports might say 18 years old but they could be 22.

Archived