Cleveland at Montreal Preview/ Match (R)

mtlfan

As the dog days of summer coast in the players on the Impact need to wake up to reality. Never mind the De's and the Dos, put the ball in the back of the net. Do it early and often. Sebrango and Brown step up and perform. Sandro is gone much to my disappointment but the show must go on. The next two weeks we will see the worst of the USL (Austin,Cleveland) combined with the French Champions and Argentina's famous River Plate.

If they don't get results now the season will be lost.

quote:Originally posted by JFC

Nothing to be proud off, Cleveland are so bad...

Biello seems to play more[xx(]

Nothing to be proud of would have been 1-0 or 2-1. 4-1 is what good teams are supposed to do to bad teams.

I was very impressed with Mayard, which is intersting because he was lazy and crappy against TFC. He ate their right back alive numerous times. O'Brien had a great game as did Testo once again.

Congrats to Montreal. It was good to see ZanZan play again. O'Brien got in some important minutes working with Testo and diLorenzo. Mayard had a great game and Sebrango did his thing too. Biello? I dont know why he is still getting minutes..he must be Joey Saputo's pet.

It may take me quite a bit longer to get over the firing of Limniatis. A strong coach is what the Impact needs. And Marc dos Santos is a weak coach.

quote:Originally posted by Lorne

Congrats to Montreal. It was good to see ZanZan play again. O'Brien got in some important minutes working with Testo and diLorenzo. Mayard had a great game and Sebrango did his thing too. Biello? I dont know why he is still getting minutes..he must be Joey Saputo's pet.

It may take me quite a bit longer to get over the firing of Limniatis. A strong coach is what the Impact needs. And Marc dos Santos is a weak coach.

I was encouraged to notice that Dos Santos is called interim coach on wikipedia... not that that really means anything.

Biello had a great game in the 1-0 loss. He wasn't noticeable yesterday except I think he was the one who missed the sitter that would have made it 5-1.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I was very impressed with Mayard, which is intersting because he was lazy and crappy against TFC. He ate their right back alive numerous times.

I think you are a bit harsh. Mayard is a young player just starting in the league. He looked tense in all the games before yesterday. A more accurate description would be he choked against Toronto. Now, as he is getting more playing time he is relaxing and playing better. What kind of player he will be in the future I don't know, but he certainly played well yesterday.

quote:Originally posted by Lorne

Limniatis was fired too quickly. Hopefully the Impact will not repeat that mistake with the new coach. I think Dos Santos should be given time; until the end of the year and maybe even next year. He may surprise. He has had good results before. The only other choices for now seem to be De Santis back behind the bench or Biello as a coach.

quote:Originally posted by Go_Impact

Limniatis was fired too quickly. Hopefully the Impact will not repeat that mistake with the new coach. I think Dos Santos should be given time; until the end of the year and maybe even next year. He may surprise. He has had good results before. The only other choices for now seem to be De Santis back behind the bench or Biello as a coach.

HELL NO.

The Montreal Impact (6-8-3) ended a five game winless streak by defeating the Cleveland City Stars (2-11-6) 4-1 (halftime 2-1), Wednesday, in front of 12,213 spectators at Saputo Stadium.

Forward Eduardo Sebrango (9th and 63rd minute), midfielder Ciaran O’Brien (25th) and Joey Gjertsen (59th) scored for the Impact, while forward Pato Aguilera scored the only goal for the City Stars at the 13th minute of play.

“We wanted to absolutely win by scoring some goals and give a show to our fans,” said head coach Marc Dos Santos. “We demonstrated a lot of mobility in the offensive third, which allowed us to create various scoring occasions. In the preceding matches, we were too static offensively.”

“The only way we can get a win is by playing a good game and I think we did great today,” said Eduardo Sebrango. “We faced a good club, but the whole team worked hard on the field. It’s a relief for the club to finally score a few goals, however it’s only one game. We have to keep on doing the same thing in the upcoming games.”

The Impact opened the scoring at the 9th minute of play. Midfielder Pierre-Rudolph Mayard made a run on the left flank before making a ground pass to forward Eduardo Sebrango in the 6-yard area. Sebrango beat goalkeeper Hunter Gilstrap as he was lying on the ground.

Newcomer Ciaran O’Brien, who started his first career game with the Impact, scored his first goal with the team at the 25th minute of play. After accepting a cross to the ground from midfielder Leonardo Di Lorenzo, O’Brien controlled the ball before beating Gilstrap to the near side.

Forward Joey Gjertsen scored his third season goal at the 59th minute. After controlling a cross from defender Stephen deRoux with the chest, Gjertsen unleashed a shot to the far post that beat Gilstrap to his right.

Eduardo Sebrango scored his second goal of the game at the 63rd minute. On the goal sequence, Leonardo Di Lorenzo crossed in for O’Brien, who deflected the ball from the top of the box. Then, Sebrango took a left footed shot that beat Gilstrap to his left.

This was Sebrango's 99th and 100th career goal (season and playoffs) in the USL First Division, while Mayard and deRoux each earned their first career point with the Impact.

“This was a great team effort tonight,” noted Mayard. “The result tonight was good for us. I think that the Impact is finally back after a difficult sequence. I’m happy to have helped Eduardo score tonight.”

“We shouldn’t get overexcited with the victory tonight,” added Dos Santos. "We need to acknowledge that when we go back to the basics and work well, we get good results. I hope the match this evening will be a turning point for our season and that it will be the start of a successful period to come.”

Goalkeeper Sdrjan Djekanovic, who played a third consecutive match, signed a second victory this season, after facing 9 shots.

Note that the Impact’s scoreless sequence ended at 468 minutes, which marks a team record.

Midfielder David Testo was issued a fifth caution this season. He will join defender Adam Braz in serving an automatic one-game suspension next week.

The Montreal Impact will play its next game Saturday against the Aztex, in Austin, Texas(8:30 pm, USLlive.com).

http://montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1197&Focus=0

Archived