keep an eye on tosaint ricketts

hodgkiss

tosaint has 5 league gals and 3 uefa cup goals and 7 of them in the last 7 games! we should keep a close eye on him regarding getting a call to the next cmnt match (who knows when that will be) but if he keeps up this pace, there shouldn't be any doubt that he should get a good look.

rumour has it, he might be looking for a transfer during the january window. most likely a bigger team in finland but i wouldn't count out maybe a move to norway or denmark.

but it would probably be a better idea to stick it out for the whole year with mypa because his stock at the end of the year should be that much better should he continue to produce like he has so far.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense but we've just seen what happens when we call up these guys who are lighting up beer leagues in Europe. How many goals did the "can't miss" kid Simeon Jackson get in the Gold Cup? How many?

Bring in proven goal scorers like Friend. Lets not forget that we need FIFA points.

I was more impressed with the chance that Ricketts had that did not result in a goal than I was with either of his goals. Early in the highlite package, he collected a pass at the top of the 18, made a very neat turn and hammered a shot on net, which the keeper saved. That impressed. The two goals were nice but the defending is abysmal.

Tossaint isn't ready to be a difference maker for the Senior MNT yet but he's still young and Canadian pros tend to develop later. He will need to keep working hard and moving through the various leagues that he will need to progress through. he needs to also keep developing his technique because pace alone isn't enough. Just ask Jamie Peters.

Tossaint had interest from Denmark when he trialed there over the winter. If he keeps showing well in Finland, I'm sure that there will eventually be some interest from a club in a more competitive league.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

No offense but we've just seen what happens when we call up these guys who are lighting up beer leagues in Europe. How many goals did the "can't miss" kid Simeon Jackson get in the Gold Cup? How many?

About as many as he got starts. And let's not forget how well our beer leaguer Ali Gerba did.

remember, simeon was the difference when he entered the game against jamaica. he did not score but he controlled the ball and made the pass that went to mckenna to cross it to gerba.

vpjr, that shot was impressive to me too. i was thinking the same thing. but if you look at the goals again too, they weren't that pretty no, but its about anticipating the play and playing positionally so you can scoop up loose balls to pot easily - which he did very well.

anyway, i guess if they're not playing in bundesliga, they're not quality. jackson and simpson were tied with goals in the tournament - thing is that simpson played many more minutes...

The top flight league in Finland is rated 30th by UEFA using their coefficient. I dont think that Finland has ever qualified for the WC. Other than Sami Hyypia, Jari Litmanen and Mikael Forsell, there are not many great finns in the game. Bottom line, you have to put things into perspective. Whould have similar stories about a CSL player garnered the same attention or worthy of mention?

Simeon Jackson is perfect example. If you go by just what you read, you cant help but to be anxious to see him play for Canada. But then when he does play, Do you see anything in him that suggests that he ready for a key role? i dont.

We have problems up front. I have been saying it for years. And, No, Friend is not the answer.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

About as many as he got starts. And let's not forget how well our beer leaguer Ali Gerba did.

Jackon did nothing to impress me. He doesn't know how to use his speed at the international level. Give him some more time to mature, like Jaime Peters, who was head and shoulders better than Jackson.

Ali Gerba has always represented Canada well at the international level, going back to 2000. Doesn't translate to club play but that isn't the point.

quote:Originally posted by hodgkiss

remember, simeon was the difference when he entered the game against jamaica. he did not score but he controlled the ball and made the pass that went to mckenna to cross it to gerba.

vpjr, that shot was impressive to me too. i was thinking the same thing. but if you look at the goals again too, they weren't that pretty no, but its about anticipating the play and playing positionally so you can scoop up loose balls to pot easily - which he did very well.

anyway, i guess if they're not playing in bundesliga, they're not quality. jackson and simpson were tied with goals in the tournament - thing is that simpson played many more minutes...

Simpson was playing on the wing and did a job defensively. Jackson was totally ineffective as a starter.

Jackon did nothing to impress me. He doesn't know how to use his speed at the international level. Give him some more time to mature, like Jaime Peters, who was head and shoulders better than Jackson.

Ali Gerba has always represented Canada well at the international level, going back to 2000. Doesn't translate to club play but that isn't the point.

Ed, I have to disagree about Peters. I saw almost nothing in either of his appearances to lead me to believe that he has matured as a player. He also has no idea how to use his speed at this level. He has virtually zero 1v1 skills to get by his mark. I'm more convinced that others need to be given a shot to prove themselves over Jamie.

Jackson showed me a couple of flashes in the Jamaica and Honduras game to lead me to believe that he has a future but he is still very raw. The next two years will tell the story for that young man.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Bottom line, Our problems are in the final third. And that is a broken record. That game on saturday should have reminsicent of just about every other important game in WCQ and other, that we have played since the GC win in 2000. No quality balls or better yeat, no quality play the final third of the pitch. A striker is just as responsible for getting chances as he is for finishing.

For example, when Barrett was under fire, what did the coaches say? "well at least he is getting chances". Players like Friend are not even getting chances because dont have different dimensions to their game to create chances for themselves. And even when he got chances, he wasn't finishing.

I found a post in this forum from the weekend quite funny in that the poster, who was complaing about reffing, questioned why we weren't getting PK calls and good FK opportunities. well the answer is pretty simple, we dont put ourselves often enough in those positions to benefit from PK's and set pieces.

Ed, I have to disagree about Peters. I saw almost nothing in either of his appearances to lead me to believe that he has matured as a player. He also has no idea how to use his speed at this level. He has virtually zero 1v1 skills to get by his mark. I'm more convinced that others need to be given a shot to prove themselves over Jamie.

Jackson showed me a couple of flashes in the Jamaica and Honduras game to lead me to believe that he has a future but he is still very raw. The next two years will tell the story for that young man.

Peters was very good in the Costa Rica game, the only game he got significant time. Also note that I am not saying Peters is a starter on our men's team. I was only saying that his increased experience and maturity from playing several years now in Europe has improved his game. Jackson now needs those years of development before he challenges to start.

quote:

By the time Jackson and Peters got into the game Saturday Honduras had already settled on putting 10 men behind the ball, holding a deep line and converging. Not too many players can break a defender under those circumstances and none have ever been Canadian. I think it's a little premature to rag on both players, they showed us a lot in the group stage when the games were open and flowing.

quote:Originally posted by Lomonty

By the time Jackson and Peters got into the game Saturday Honduras had already settled on putting 10 men behind the ball, holding a deep line and converging. Not too many players can break a defender under those circumstances and none have ever been Canadian. I think it's a little premature to rag on both players, they showed us a lot in the group stage when the games were open and flowing.

If that were the case, most of us would turn the TV off and/or leave the stadium at half time. Putting 10 or 11 men behind the ball in soccer is nothing new. Soccer teams do come back from 1-0 down quite often. Even when the opposition is playing 11 men behind the ball.

Maybe thats why Hart put them in; he was looking for someone who break down defenses

Unlike Simpson (or Peters), Johnson didn't give me any hint of being a 1 v 1 threat vs Honduras. He had chances to take guys on but played the ball backwards to one of the mids or Stalteri instead. At least Peters tried to take guys on. Did Johnson even get a cross in during the match? I think that lack of threat from the starboard side of the field limited our offensive ambitions.

If Tosaint Ricketts gets a transfer to Norway or Denmark then I would keep an eye on him. Playing in Finland is almost like USL-2 level.

As for Jackson he showed a lot of potential but he is not ready for CMNT yet. With injuries to guys like Hume and Friend, he probably deserved the call.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Johnson didn't give me any hint of being a 1 v 1 threat vs Honduras. He had chances to take guys on but played the ball backwards to one of the mids or Stalteri instead. At least Peters tried to take guys on. Did Johnson even get a cross in during the match? I think that lack of threat from the starboard side of the field limited our offensive ambitions.

IMO, Johnson is ill suited to a wider position (or, at minimum, he's not experienced out wide).

He is better suited in a more central role but Canada has a glut of players who are ahead of him.

Simpson was very good against Honduras and Costa Rica. He sure doesn't need a lot of space to get off a quality cross. I never understood the excitement some people had for this guy but I'm much more open minded right now. It would be nice to find a player of that ilk for the right side.

quote:Originally posted by Lomonty

Canada had all sorts of chances to score in the last 10 minutes. I thought (and many I've spoken to after the game thought) that Jackson actually gave a good account for himself in that 10-15 minute stretch that he played on Saturday. Peters was invisible.

In retrospect (and hindsight is 20/20), it would have been nice to have Issey as an option off the bench on Saturday because I would never have replaced Johnson for Peters. Johnson for Issey would have made more sense to me.

As far as I can tell, nobody was saying that Ricketts is on his way to surpassing Pele, just that he's doing well and is someone who's progress we should note. Nowt wrong with that, as far as I can tell.

As for Jackson, he, Johnson and Peters all have a problem that many teams come up against when they play Honduras - that of size. I think all three of them were more effective against teams that aren't so universally big and physical. I would have liked to have seen Friend or Occean inserted to counter the Honduras size at the back and expect they would have helped Ali pose more of a problem. But they weren't available, and overall where we took the biggest hit from not having our full team was at the striker position, as we removed what little depth we had. Its also a long term concern given that outside of the Whitecaps program, our domestic pro clubs are not producing young stikers. Next job for Hart must be doing whatever is in his power to get David Hoilett to join his younger brother in player for Canada.

Peters was very good in the Costa Rica game, the only game he got significant time. Also note that I am not saying Peters is a starter on our men's team. I was only saying that his increased experience and maturity from playing several years now in Europe has improved his game. Jackson now needs those years of development before he challenges to start.

We definitely agree that neither Peters nor Jackson are ready to challenge for a start with the MNT.

I don't see the maturity in Peters' game. Its possible I have blinders on but I don't think he's grown much as a player. He looks almost identical to the one dimensional player I saw when he started for the Canadian U20.

on the other hand, Jackson (who was also on that U20 team) has most certainly improved and matured.

Jackson has played regularly over the past 2 years...Peters hasn't. That might explain it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

As for Jackson, he, Johnson and Peters all have a problem that many teams come up against when they play Honduras - that of size. I think all three of them were more effective against teams that aren't so universally big and physical.

Agreed

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Unlike Simpson (or Peters), Johnson didn't give me any hint of being a 1 v 1 threat vs Honduras. He had chances to take guys on but played the ball backwards to one of the mids or Stalteri instead. At least Peters tried to take guys on. Did Johnson even get a cross in during the match? I think that lack of threat from the starboard side of the field limited our offensive ambitions.

It wasn't the best game for Johnson, unfortunately - he also missed two glorious scoring opportunities early in the 2nd half (though he was not alone in missing chances). I do think he found it tough to deal with the Hondurans size although when he did try to get past players I think he also found himself up against 2-3 players.

It wasn't easy though - Hondurans are fairly proficient at bunkering and countering, and they have enough depth that their B team can bunker just as well (if not better) than their A team. They packed the box so much that I can recall that we hit either their players or own in several shots (not counting Simpson & Atiba frustratingly running into each other).

For numerous reasons, Saturday just wasn't our day. We certainly had no share of good fortune. With the toughest schedule of all the teams in the Gold Cup (thank you Concacaf), perhaps it isn't a huge surprise (nor something to panic over) that we couldn't get a fourth positive result in a row against top Concacaf opposition (and leaving aside the question of officiating just for Canuck in Boston's sake since he appears to be so pained by any such discussion! ;) )

I don't see the maturity in Peters' game. Its possible I have blinders on but I don't think he's grown much as a player. He looks almost identical to the one dimensional player I saw when he started for the Canadian U20.

Here I agree with Ed. I noticed much more in the way of good decision-making on Peters' part in the games he played. I think he still has some upside in this regard, but definitely an improvement in my eyes.

^ We all have different points of view. It is very possible I'm wrong about Peters and it's possible I have blinders on but I truly did not see that much from Peters' one full game to warrant a call up the next time Canada plays. I'd rather see others get a shot to see if they can bring something to the table.

Archived