Sutton: Conspiracy Theories...

strobe_z

Is it just me, or did others read errors in that blog...

Sutton recalls the USA/Canada Semi-final, and says Canada was trailing 1-0 when the atiba offisde occurred...

The score was actually 2-1 at the time...

Also wrote that USA and Mexico eventually ended up playing in the Final in New York city the next week... The final was acutally 3 days after the semis and it was held in CHICAGO...

"Now don't get me wrong I don't think the referee's are told to blow the whistles.

I don't think they need to be told. It's become a given: the referees know who needs to be in the finals. If the referee's do the job and it's in the best interest of CONCACAF, well you can be assured you will see those same officials refereeing for CONCACAF in the near future. "

quote:Originally posted by djcuse

Is it just me, or did others read errors in that blog...

Sutton recalls the USA/Canada Semi-final, and says Canada was trailing 1-0 when the atiba offisde occurred...

The score was actually 2-1 at the time...

Also wrote that USA and Mexico eventually ended up playing in the Final in New York city the next week... The final was acutally 3 days after the semis and it was held in CHICAGO...

I noticed that too, but those specific details don't really change his point.

Besides, he had a concussion at the time, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, if his memory was up to scratch he might remember the even worse penalty call that helped to eliminate us from the 2005 Gold Cup - the one where Peter Prendergast discovered a third arm that was located in the centre of Patrice Bernier's chest.....

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Besides, he had a concussion at the time, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, if his memory was up to scratch he might remember the even worse penalty call that helped to eliminate us from the 2005 Gold Cup - the one where Peter Prendergast discovered a third arm that was located in the centre of Patrice Bernier's chest.....

Urrrghh! I was in Seattle for that match! Thanks for reminding me.

"Now don't get me wrong I don't think the referee's are told to blow the whistles.

I don't think they need to be told. It's become a given: the referees know who needs to be in the finals. If the referee's do the job and it's in the best interest of CONCACAF, well you can be assured you will see those same officials refereeing for CONCACAF in the near future. "

Sutton should be running the CSA, he'd never put up with this bull****.

Tough reading things like this. I can't imagine how tough it is for these guys to go down in controversy once again.

On a side note, it's for the best only the top of CONCACAF is left, having another team like Panama or Haiti picking up FIFA points isn't the greatest for our cause.

Yawn.....

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I hope our boys use this early exit to really motivate them next Gold Cup. Time to go out and just kick some ass.

Or, some of them could use this early exit to really motivate them to skip the next tournament.

After a while, enough is enough.

A couple of years ago I chanced upon, and had a fanboy chat with, Craig Forrest and he said exactly the same thing. Which makes me think that at least the veterans on the MNT are convinced it's true.

I know I'm convinced.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/07/conspiracy_theories_abound_at.html

Sutton: Conspiracy Theories Abound at Gold Cup...

So if the Conspiracy exists.. ask what causes it, why the conspiracy .. why does COCACAF want Honduras against US instead of Canada versus US.

Get to the root cause, and you might have clue how to break it.

Will all due respect Forest and Sutton they dont say why its the way it is.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

So if the Conspiracy exists.. ask what causes it, why the conspiracy .. why does COCACAF want Honduras against US instead of Canada versus US.

Get to the root cause, and you might have clue how to break it.

Will all due respect Forest and Sutton they dont say why its the way it is.

MONEY $$$$$$

For a tournament held in the USA you will sell a lot more tickets for a USA vs Mexico/Honduras/Costa Rica than you will for Canada.

This is why co-hosting a group would be a great idea. Have a Canada, Jamaica plus 2 others in a group playing in Toronto. Great sellout potential.

If the CSA wants us to get fair treatment for our MNT then they need to make MONEY for Jack Warner. Then we might get a ref and linesman who are actually not hallucinating.

The CSA should try the carrot and stick approach. Offer sellouts for some games and publicly state that the officiating in CONCACAF "needs serious improvement".

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

MONEY $$$$$$

For a tournament held in the USA you will sell a lot more tickets for a USA vs Mexico/Honduras/Costa Rica than you will for Canada.

This is why co-hosting a group would be a great idea. Have a Canada, Jamaica plus 2 others in a group playing in Toronto. Great sellout potential.

If the CSA wants us to get fair treatment for our MNT then they need to make MONEY for Jack Warner. Then we might get a ref and linesman who are actually not hallucinating.

The CSA should try the carrot and stick approach. Offer sellouts for some games and publicly state that the officiating in CONCACAF "needs serious improvement".

Well at least one person gets it... whether the CSA has the guts to go to MLSE and do a deal to have the funds to guarantee the revenue CONCACAF would need for a round robin double header is questionable, but given the attendance in the US a good draw group in Toronto i.e. Jamica and say T&T along with Canada and a minnow would fill the park.

A semi-final could happen in Montreal at the Big O, when you see the 32k in philly at probably a 50 buck average cost your talking a 1.5 million gate on a semi, that seems do able in Montreal with up to 60k seats available.

But your exactly right until we make Jack money we are not getting any benefit of the doubt.

Well at least one person gets it...

I think many people get it. De Guzman's comments weren't exactly subtle, for example. Change is happening on the fan support front in Canada but it will continue to take time - it's not going to happen overnight. Especially with the number of home games we are currently getting, which this year is zero thus far on the men's side. The CSA needs to get more home friendlies, which should be the next thing this board (and members of the media, pro or homegrown) needs to start pushing for (considering we'll have nothing else to do on the national team front for quite some time).

Good on Sutton and others for speaking out, wish the CSA had some balls to do something! As long as we're looked at as complacent Canadians this stuff is going to only get worse! We are in a group of mostly cheaters in Concacrap and this is what we have to deal with almost every game! Who can remember Canada ever getting a game changing favourable call ever? Anyone who yawns at this or thinks the PK call was legit has their head up their ass and doesn't really understand the game and the corruption that exists is Concacrap! We are a goal or two down before we even step on the field against some of these teams, it's a disgrace and good for Sutton and others to speak out against it!

The 82,252 attendance was a record for a soccer game in Texas. The previous record was a friendly between Spain's Barcelona and Mexico's Club America, which attracted 70,550 to Houston's Reliant Stadium.

So Mexico .. Haiti draws ... a record attendance for Concacaf.

Wonder how much cash .. goes to Concacaf.. and what the do with it ?

The 82,252 attendance was a record for a soccer game in Texas. The previous record was a friendly between Spain's Barcelona and Mexico's Club America, which attracted 70,550 to Houston's Reliant Stadium.

So Mexico .. Haiti draws ... a record attendance for Concacaf.

Wonder how much cash .. goes to Concacaf.. and what the do with it ?

Some percentage of that has to be due to the curiosity factor with the new Cowboys Stadium.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

we should offer some sort of BMO partnership with Jamaica, it would bite us in the ass a bit when we play jamaica, but we could probably snag in a must join a canada cup clause (two automatic entrants in what probably would only be a four team cup). The benefit they'd get is if we could get a group of the gold cup at BMO, they wouldn't have such a great advantage against us but it'd be their home field against the other two team after a few matches a year. The main problem is that you'd probably have to throw some cash their way cause their not exactly our neighbours, but it might be profitable.

Pros for us: more games, possibly more money and the more of a claim to a gold cup group

cons for us: Jamaica would be at home in BMO even when Canadian fans were a decent majority, possibly a bit of money

pros for Jamaica: a potential home field advantage for some gold cup games, more games in general, possibly a bit of money

cons for jamaica: they may not make as much money and offend their local fans by catering to a venue outside their country

edit: it'd be a douche move but we could negate that home advantage in the cup we host if we moved the final up to stade saputo, or maybe (maybe to costly) to vancouver (although it seems like an obvious choice since they'll be in MLS soon)

quote:Originally posted by Juby

we should offer some sort of BMO partnership with Jamaica, it would bite us in the ass a bit when we play jamaica, but we could probably snag in a must join a canada cup clause (two automatic entrants in what probably would only be a four team cup). The benefit they'd get is if we could get a group of the gold cup at BMO, they wouldn't have such a great advantage against us but it'd be their home field against the other two team after a few matches a year. The main problem is that you'd probably have to throw some cash their way cause their not exactly our neighbours, but it might be profitable.

Pros for us: more games, possibly more money and the more of a claim to a gold cup group

cons for us: Jamaica would be at home in BMO even when Canadian fans were a decent majority, possibly a bit of money

pros for Jamaica: a potential home field advantage for some gold cup games, more games in general, possibly a bit of money

cons for jamaica: they may not make as much money and offend their local fans by catering to a venue outside their country

edit: it'd be a douche move but we could negate that home advantage in the cup we host if we moved the final up to stade saputo, or maybe (maybe to costly) to vancouver (although it seems like an obvious choice since they'll be in MLS soon)

Keep the first 5 words of your edit. Repeat.

Archived