Grande released by Impact, should TFC sign him?

jpg75

NO!

I would have taken him last year, but this year he has lost something and his talent can seemingly no longer overcome the fact that he's a twat.

We don't need him choking our players.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

NO!

I would have taken him last year, but this year he has lost something and his talent can seemingly no longer overcome the fact that he's a twat.

We don't need him choking our players.

Up until this year. Absolutely. In fact, IMO he would have been our best MF player in year one (2007). But if we are going to sign deGuzman, I dont see how (with Guevarra already there) you can work Grande into the mix. Grande is good MF distributer who can set the tempo of match, is threat offensively and is good on set pieces. But thats what we have Guevarra and ( potentially)deguzman for.

Acquiring Sandro Grande for the CCL run would be very inexpensive addition, giving the TFC players an insight into what to expect on such a run.

MoJo would be well advised to drop the twenty to thirty thousand to contract him for the run, even if they just hide him on a CSL roster and call him up for CCL games which are outside the MLS roster limits.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Acquiring Sandro Grande for the CCL run would be very inexpensive addition, giving the TFC players an insight into what to expect on such a run.

MoJo would be well advised to drop the twenty to thirty thousand to contract him for the run, even if they just hide him on a CSL roster and call him up for CCL games which are outside the MLS roster limits.

I doubt Grande would be interested in such a contract. He turned down more money from European teams to join the Impact so I think he will have enough offers that he doesn't have to take some cheap offer in desperation. If TFC wants him they will have to pay fair market value. As much as I would hate to see him there, I think he would be a good addition to TFC. He is not a bad character either, just very competitive.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I doubt Grande would be interested in such a contract. He turned down more money from European teams to join the Impact so I think he will have enough offers that he doesn't have to take some cheap offer in desperation. If TFC wants him they will have to pay fair market value. As much as I would hate to see him there, I think he would be a good addition to TFC. He is not a bad character either, just very competitive.

I figured he was on a contract for about 100k per annum in Montreal ... do you think it was larger ?

TFC only really needs to pick up whats left to let Joey of the hook and to have access to an experienced player in the CCL.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

I figured he was on a contract for about 100k per annum in Montreal ... do you think it was larger ?

TFC only really needs to pick up whats left to let Joey of the hook and to have access to an experienced player in the CCL.

I don't know what his salary was but that is what I would guess as well. However, Saputo's interpretation of the incident is that Grande broke the player conduct clause of the contract and that this annuls the contract. Grande is going to go to FIFA and probably also to court to challenge this and I think he will win. If Saputo had not cancelled the contract and offered to loan him for the rest of the year maybe he would have agreed. However, in the present situation I think he will look for a longer contract and take his chances in court for the money the Impact owe him. I doubt he would be interested in a 2 or 3 month contract especially when this is a good time to sign with a team in Europe much better than when the MLS season ends. He has already stated that he is in contact with some former coaches in Europe.

grande was on no more than 75k. the only person at the impact that is over 100k is desanctis. he makes more than all the players....what an embarassment. grande would be ok for tfc. he is a good player and will only reach his potential if paul winsper can get him fit again. we all saw the game vs santos laguna in february, when he just cam out of training camp for 2 months. he was absolutely a beast on the field and made the difference for the game. he also did much better than any other impact player in the return match. he was the only the one on that team to play well and be on the same field like the santos players....he did not look out of place at all. he could also play in the mexican first division....i think the schedule in the usl does not help him. too many games and not enough practice sessions. in the mls he would be good as well because he would play once a week and train properly the rest of the week......c'mon grande come to tfc or else find a team that really deserves you!!!!!!!

"The United Soccer League First Division team released the 31-year-old nine days after Grande applied a chokehold to player-coach Mauro Biello during a 3-0 road loss to the Minnesota Thunder."

Why the hell would TFC even think of getting this guy? he is 31 and acting like a complete fool i dont see him changing i could see if he was a young guy who made a mistake but this when your 31 you would think that a guy could control himself. I dont care how good this guy is TFC doesnt need a player like this in thier line up.

quote:Originally posted by kcisoul

"Why the hell would TFC even think of getting this guy? he is 31 and acting like a complete fool..."

Yah, I won't defend him too strenuously for acting like a fool. Although... I'm not _100%_ sure that Mauro Biello _doesn't_ deserve a good throttling. (No, of course he doesn't j/k)

I won't hate him too much for being 31. To quote the knight from Monty Python, he's "not quite dead yet". I really like him as a player - he has composure and vision and fighting spirit.

I might be a little more inclined to give Sandro Grande the benefit of the doubt because he's Canadian. Lots of us feel we'd like Canadians to get more opportunities that it's tough to get. As a manager, I suppose it's hard to give marginal players the benefit of the doubt because it's competitive, hard enough winning when you're trying to field only the best players you can.

But when a guy _is_ good enough to help TFC, and (I believe) still is good enough to help Canada, then maybe if he's assessed not to be a total Jack the Ripper/Chicken Strangler, then maybe that "dubious character" situation would be a situation where we could afford to break out a little of the Christian charity (or any other kind of charity). Cheap, could be good for TFC, could be good for Canada.

I see Grande's dismissal as an opportunity to snag a good player cheap. Think I've posted in past years that I always preferred him to Imhof & Bernier for the NT, have seen little of SG in recent years but last time I checked he was still a good 'un.

Having said that, in the current context, sure, he's no JDG, but then, who is?

Archived