Kevin McKenna

sinhaya

quote:Originally posted by sinhaya

I was impressed to the hilt by Kevin McKenna's contribution. I find it incredulous that he did not start in the recent WCQs. He is an impact player. Is Serioux higher on the depth chart?

I thought he had a strong tourney. He got caught out for pace on one play vs Jamaica but otherwise he proved to be solid. We only gave up one goal from open play this tourney (from a keeper's error), so it would at least give our a team a consolation sympathy f*ck to have him (or Klukowski) selected to the all star XI.

• 8 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Best. Thread. Necro. Ever. 

Up until recently, only two posts dediciated to the play of Big Kev.  But those were different times around here.  Nowadays, we seem to have every prospect and his dog having his own thread and getting several posts about their performances match by match. 

Edited by BearcatSA

• 1 year later...

I'm old and my brain has gone to mush but I seem to remember when he went from defender to forward he had a helluva strike rate which seemed to come totally out of the blue.  Looking at that list it seems that nobody took better advantage of their chances than McKenna and Gerba.
0EnVAV4.png

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

13 hours ago, SpecialK said:

He never really played Forward in club football.

88D7CC0D-878D-4ACE-B1B5-B133393308C1.jpeg

I don't believe those figures. He played most of one season at Cottbus at striker and had at least 10 league goals at one point. That said, he started and ended his club and international careers at CB and aside from that season at Cottbus i don't recall him playing much up top. For Canada he may have moved up late in the game a few times when we were looking for goals, but i can't recall him getting a start (though he might have, there was no way to see all our friendlies back then).

He started as a striker a number of times under Holger. I'm fairly certain that he was used exclusively as a striker at the 2002 Gold cup. JDV and Menezes were the starting CBs at that time.

As far as I can recall he didn't fully settle into the starting CB role, at club level, until he was 25 or 26.

Edited by Norrin Radd

7 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I don't believe those figures. He played most of one season at Cottbus at striker and had at least 10 league goals at one point. That said, he started and ended his club and international careers at CB and aside from that season at Cottbus i don't recall him playing much up top. For Canada he may have moved up late in the game a few times when we were looking for goals, but i can't recall him getting a start (though he might have, there was no way to see all our friendlies back then).

No he was always a CB at Cottbus. He played a few games at striker when they had some severe injury problems but he did not play a whole season at CF. There was one season that he scored 10 goals in the 2nd Bundesliga but 6 of the goals came in 2 games. He was not fast enough to be effective at striker but he was good at heading the ball and effective on corners and free kicks. 

12 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'm pretty sure he was a striker for Holger's 2002 Gold Cup team that won the third place match over South Korea.  I think he was our top scorer at that tourney (I'll check wiki)

Edited by BearcatSA

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

No he was always a CB at Cottbus. He played a few games at striker when they had some severe injury problems but he did not play a whole season at CF. There was one season that he scored 10 goals in the 2nd Bundesliga but 6 of the goals came in 2 games. He was not fast enough to be effective at striker but he was good at heading the ball and effective on corners and free kicks. 

My memory is foggy too but I seem to remember Hearts using him as a late match striker pretty regularly. Does that ring a bell?