Canada gets bleeped AGAIN!!!

gerberoo

Okay I've calmed down (only just watched the match this afternoon since I was busy last night), but I still say that's a penalty. What are both of Paul's hands doing up? And one of the angles shows the ball deflecting off his arm.

And lets not forget the non-call earlier in the match.

Sorry can't blame the ref on this. Maybe Canada was "better" but when has that ever been worth anything? Honduras scored a legit goal, Canada didn't.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Okay I've calmed down (only just watched the match this afternoon since I was busy last night), but I still say that's a penalty. What are both of Paul's hands doing up? And one of the angles shows the ball deflecting off his arm.

Sorry can't blame the ref on this. Maybe Canada was "better" but when has that ever been worth anything? Honduras scored a legit goal, Canada didn't.

I didn't know the air between one's hand and head was now an arm.

1) The referee didn't call a handball.

2) His hands were up to show that he didn't pull the Honduran player down. You know that gesture every player does to show they are innocent? Asking why Paul's hands were up makes me question your knowledge of the sport.

And you have to question what Stalteri is doing grabbing the arm of the Honduras forward. I mean sheesh! If he scores a bicycle kick, so be it. Don't bail him out by grabbing him and then trying to block the shot like a volleyball player at the net.

Canada were sh*t!

I really don't know what you expect a defender to do in that position.

The Hondurans love to go down in the box, it's up to the ref to wise

up and see if that's simulation, which is also an offense.

But as a spectator, call it as you see fit. Keep in mind that this

board is a Canadian Supporters board, not a CONCACAF-lovers board.

That ref will never be close to UEFA/World Cup standard. (Remember

Italy-South Korea in 2002?)

^ I'm really trying not use that excuse (about Latino officiating), but after

seeing so many matches like that happen to us (and also to a few less-favoured teams)

as well as allowing the US to have a roster of 30, I am resigned to consider that

fact as well.

The ball hits him on the cheek.

I don't care if you calmed down, you still called Canada sh*t for no good reason. We have nothing to feel ashamed about.

The ball changed direction though. Pretty clear on the replay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMExi2bVxmE

The only debate is whether it hit his arm or shoulder.

FREEZE your video at 3:22-3:23 it hit the cheek moron. And his hands were up to show he had nothing to do with Martinez falling down.

Watch 3:13-3:14-3:15 slowly pause each second Martinez is "flying" in the air and Stalteri is already lifting his hands to show he is clean

The ball changed direction though. Pretty clear on the replay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMExi2bVxmE

The only debate is whether it hit his arm or shoulder.

Please tell me what foreign substance you have been imbibing prior to viewing this video. I'd really like to know as I need to improve my ability to escape from reality asap! [}:)]

You can actually see it skim off his head (temple, cheek,whatever)... the impact causes him to turn his head slightly... he turns his head from the impact, he's not turning it until the ball reaches it ...

It's funny, I feel like ah, did the ball come from the grassy knoll...

Anyone who calls that a penalty is an idiot, it is as simple as that. Anyone who says we got screwed is also in the boat. We had many good chances in the second half and looked unorganized on free kicks and sent 3-4 corners over everyone’s head. Let’s be real here we got the short end of the stick but we sucked that game. A draw would have been fair at the end of time, we had the chances and blew them.

quote:Originally posted by guppy

It's funny, I feel like ah, did the ball come from the grassy knoll...

Stalteri's head clearly goes

back and to the left, back and to the left, back..............and to the left.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Even the Honduran player in question (who was also at the match) admitted that it wasn't a penalty. The person on the field who had the best view of the play would be Sutton. Watch Sutton's reaction to the play on the highlights. The shot goes wide, Sutton walks casually to the side of his net and calmly picks up his water bottle and starts to drink it, not even having the slightest suspicion that a penalty could possibly be called on the play. Then he stands stunned when he realizes that the Ref has actually called a Penalty. The same Ref who decided to invent a new rule in the 2nd half for stopping the play late in the game just to allow Honduras to waste more time, something he had absolutely no right to do.

I agree that Canada wasn't at their absolute best although that was mainly in the first half. But they did play well and were much better than Honduras and much more deserving of advancing - just because the Ref decided not to bestow us with a gift PK is not an argument against that. We can criticize Canada for not putting away its chances and I've mentioned that in the main page blog, but that ignores the lack of a level playing field that we compete in, which is what this thread is about.

I stand by how I saw it and if I saw it as a penalty, one can easily see why the referee might. I dont care what the player said after the fact, it is how it looked in real time. The referee didnt have the benefit of replay or post match interviews. These things happen in sports all the time. Is it frustrating, of course, but it happens.

Sorry for having the audacity to mention something other than the topic of the thread. You can go back to your incredibly predictable "we was robbed" rant.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

I stand by how I saw it and if I saw it as a penalty, one can easily see why the referee might. I dont care what the player said after the fact, it is how it looked in real time. The referee didnt have the benefit of replay or post match interviews. These things happen in sports all the time. Is it frustrating, of course, but it happens.

...to Canada all the time. I agree with you there.

quote:

Sorry for having the audacity to mention something other than the topic of the thread. You can go back to your incredibly predictable "we was robbed" rant.

Touchy, touchy. The sad thing is many people on this forum predicted this would happen before the game took place, some before the tourney even took place. Which is rather the point that is being made.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

^ I'm really trying not use that excuse (about Latino officiating), but after

seeing so many matches like that happen to us (and also to a few less-favoured teams)

as well as allowing the US to have a roster of 30, I am resigned to consider that

fact as well.

The other way to look at it is: if people are going to blame the refs on this loss, then they will find a way to blame them after every loss.

Even if you don't think the penalty call was fair, at the very least we have a case of things evening out from 2 bad first-half calls in the box.

The other way to look at it is: if people are going to blame the refs on this loss, then they will find a way to blame them after every loss.

This is such bullshit and you know it. Canada lost all kinds of matches in WCQ and while I recall some legitimate criticism of the refs in those games, nobody says they were the reason we lost.

It's simple, really. Honduras scored a goal on a phantom penalty that a good ref would never have considered calling. If they hadn't scored, they wouldn't have won.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

It's simple, really. Honduras scored a goal on a phantom penalty that a good ref would never have considered calling. If they hadn't scored, they wouldn't have won.

Just because Honduras hadn't scored in the first 35 minutes, doesn't mean they wouldn't have scored later had the penalty not been given.

So no views on the stone-wall penalty that wasn't given earlier in the match then?

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Personally, I think the forum should ALLOW swearing on game days.

<MOD RESPONSE> We do allow swearing, to a certain extent.

I will only REQUEST it if it's in a TITLE of a thread, in light

of the fact that some minors do read this stuff.

Other than that, we are allowing a lot of latitude and discretion

for individuals to express themselves, hopefully in a more mature

and reasonable way. And hopefully with some wit and intelligence

to boot!

Bad calls happen. they don't effect good teams because they don't play the opposition close enough for a weak penalty or place kick call to matter. If we had buried 2 goals as the flow of play would indicate would have been a fair expectation, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Once again, lack of world class finish is the real reason Canada bows out.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I agree that there's no indication that Canada would've won the match had Honduras not got the penalty.

From a marginally biased opinion, Canada was the far better squad that day, but that does not make a winner.

I maintain that the ref, who called a very good game aside from the (on your knees and) blown call, should not have made such a questionable call.

But, man, Canada looked so good... agressive, flowing, care-free, fearless... just needed a goal.

Part of the reason instant replays may never happen in footie is that there are entire regions who will have to overhaul their training regiment to remove 'theatrics' and 'dirty tackling' from their repetoires would be too costly. Video replay means an entire generation of central american nations wouldn't see the hex.

But I would like to see post-game bookings for simulation upon watching replays. Half the Hondurans would think twice about hitting the turf knowing that they won't be playing in the next game.

Archived