Canada gets bleeped AGAIN!!!

gerberoo

If the Ref was looking straight at the play he should have seen Martinez with a firm grip on Stalteri's jersey at the same time (and for longer) Stalteri had a hand on him. Watching the play in real time it is difficult to see how anyone in their right might could have thought it was a penalty unless they were looking for it to be one. I watched this game with the sound down at a party with 40 people. Not only did we not realize that a PK was given until we saw the yellow brandished (as we didn't think there was a foul), we didn't know until after the match when I went to check on the internet that the foul was given for an alleged arm tug as everyone assumed the Ref thought the ball hit Stalteri's hands. Even in the youtube link provided the spanish-language broadcasters sound completely surprised that a penalty was given.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Quote of the year:

"I was really disappointed with the officiating, with this particular game. If I had a chance to make a tackle on this ref, I wouldn't even think twice," said a disgusted midfielder Julian de Guzman.

"It's pretty obvious that would be bad business for CONCACAF if Canada was to make it to the finals or semifinals. I mean we don't bring in the crowds that CONCACAF would like," he added.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/07/18/canada_honduras/

A transcript of the Rob Faulds commentary on the Sportsnet video highlights in that link (put here for posterity since I don't know how long that video will be available):

Don't know how long this video will be available so here's a transcript of Rob Faulds commentary on that Sportsnet highlight clip on that link:

"Now 35th minute, this is where the game turns. Paul Stalteri called for - you make the call - a rather suspect foul in the box giving Honduras a penalty kick. You've got to be kidding, that call is a joke!!! Walter Martinez from the spot buries it, Honduras up 1-nil.

(he then discusses McKenna header off the post before finishing by practically shouting in anger with the following line:)

Honduras, thanks to the Ref, advances to the semis 1-nil!!!!!!"

I just looked at the play again on Youtube and i'm pretty sure the ref thought it was a handball. In the last replay you can see the ref running towards the play and as soon as the ball hits Stalteri (who has both arms in the air to avoid the whistle on the arm pulling) in the head that's when he puts the whistle to his mouth.

"I was really disappointed with the officiating, with this particular game. If I had a chance to make a tackle on this ref, I wouldn't even think twice. It's pretty obvious that would be bad business for CONCACAF if Canada was to make it to the finals or semifinals. I mean we don't bring in the crowds that CONCACAF would like."

De Guzman

Legend

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I just looked at the play again on Youtube and i'm pretty sure the ref thought it was a handball. In the last replay you can see the ref running towards the play and as soon as the ball hits Stalteri (who has both arms in the air to avoid the whistle on the arm pulling) in the head that's when he puts the whistle to his mouth.

So what was the real call then?

It appears to me that the ref blew the whistle, didn't really

know what to call, and made up something that could appear that

way.

Did the ball touch his hand? Did the shirt tug impede

the outrageous bicycle kick that was way off-target in the first

place? And knowing how Martinez tried simulations early on,

why should anyone including the ref assume he wouldn't try it

again?

The difference in the match was an officiating call that resulted

in PK which was beyond Canada's control.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

So what was the real call then?

This contact as Martinez starts the bicycle kick move is what I think he reacts to:-

14x04s5.jpg

Very soft call and not one I personally agree with but you can make the argument that Stalteri is making no real effort to go for the ball at that point and is trying to throw Martinez off balance so he can't get his shot on target. Potentially a bad rather than a corrupt call in other words.

I'm just trying to figure out what the hell the ref was thinking, certainly not defending the schmuck...if you look at the still pic that BBTB has a couple of posts above you can see the ball hitting Stalteri in the head and Aguilar hasn't put the whistle in his mouth yet.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I'm just trying to figure out what the hell the ref was thinking,

Probably thinking of the memo he received which went something along the lines of "We can get rid of the team that is more likely to beat the US next round and at the same time ensure that the team that sells more tickets goes on. Two for the price of one. What do you say? Deal!"

quote:Originally posted by SamSeaborn

THESE FUKING REFS, THESE FUKING CORRUPTED REFS AND THIS GODDAMNED CORRUPTED LEAGUE MAKE IT SO DIFFICULT, SO AGONIZINGLY HARD, SO IMPOSSIBLE TO BE A FAN AND FOLLOWER AND SUPPORTER OF THE SPORT

DID HONDURAS HAVE EVEN A SINGLE FOUL IN THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF?

THE REF HAD THAT WHISTLE IN HIS MOUTH THE ABSOLUTE MILISECOND 5 MINUTES HAD PAST EVEN THOUGH WE PROLLY DESERVED 7+

HE COVERED HIS ASS, HE'S A DISGRACE

HONDURAS IS A DISGRACE, THEIR FANS SHOULD BE ASHAMED, I HOPE THAT **** COUNTRY REMAINS AS UNSTABLE AS IT IS RIGHT NOW BECAUSE THEY DONT DESERVE TO REMAIN FLYING AROUND NORTH AMERICA PLAYING SOCCER, ACTING LIKE HOT-SHOTS KISSING THEIR FLAG WHEN THEY GET A GIMME-GOAL

WHY DOES THIS SHIET NEVER EVER EVER HAPPEN TO ANY OTHER COUNTRY EXCEPT CANADA, AND WHY DOES IT HAPPEN EVERY SINGLE YEAR

THIS WAS THE BEST CHANCE IN A GNERATION FOR OUR MEN'S TEAM TO MOVE THIS SPORT FORWARD AND RAISE IT'S PROFILE IN CANADA

THEY WERE PLAYING FOR THE FUTURE OF THE SPORT IN CANADA, AND A CORRUPTED SOUTH AMERICAN REFEREE WHO WANTED THE CAMERA ON HIM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, WHO WANTED TO PLEASE THE FANS IN THE STANDS SETS THIS COUNTRY AND THE 30 MILLION PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN IT BACK ANOTHER TWO YEARS

TWO YEARS WHEN WE WILL LIKELY JUST GET SCREWED AGAIN, WITH OUR PANTS ON, WITH A TITANIUM DILDO

thank you.

I don't have the patience to read the 9-page match thread, but this thread is waaaay off the mark. Do the majority of you actually believe Canada were screwed by the ref? Canada simply played like sh*t! Honduras had a clear penalty that was not called 3 minutes into the match. The call against Canada was harsh but certainly not as bad as the non-call right before that. And you have to question what Stalteri is doing grabbing the arm of the Honduras forward. I mean sheesh! If he scores a bicycle kick, so be it. Don't bail him out by grabbing him and then trying to block the shot like a volleyball player at the net.

Canada were sh*t!

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Well if we were, whudya call the team that didn't touch the ball in the second half.

Honduras didn't do anything in the 2nd but Canada showed no punch in attack. The poor corners all evening long was also very frustrating. That's failing at basic sh*t!

Besides we can't just ignore the fact Canada came out very flat for this match and pretend its all the ref's fault because of lots of second-half possession... [:o)]

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Honduras didn't do anything in the 2nd but Canada showed no punch in attack. The poor corners all evening long was also very frustrating. That's failing at basic sh*t!

Besides we can't just ignore the fact Canada came out very flat for this match and pretend its all the ref's fault because of lots of second-half possession... [:o)]

Agreed. I was at the match and had a very good view of the play. In my opinion, in real time, it was a foul. I saw Stalteri pull him down. Sorry I did.

As JamboAl and I said after the match, we just aren't that good. Service was poor and when it was there finishing was non existent. We must live with that.

We were still better than Honduras.

I don't have the patience to read the 9-page match thread, but this thread is waaaay off the mark. Do the majority of you actually believe Canada were screwed by the ref? Canada simply played like sh*t! Honduras had a clear penalty that was not called 3 minutes into the match. The call against Canada was harsh but certainly not as bad as the non-call right before that. And you have to question what Stalteri is doing grabbing the arm of the Honduras forward. I mean sheesh! If he scores a bicycle kick, so be it. Don't bail him out by grabbing him and then trying to block the shot like a volleyball player at the net.

Canada were sh*t!

Who is this guy???

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

Agreed. I was at the match and had a very good view of the play. In my opinion, in real time, it was a foul. I saw Stalteri pull him down. Sorry I did.

Even the Honduran player in question (who was also at the match) admitted that it wasn't a penalty. The person on the field who had the best view of the play would be Sutton. Watch Sutton's reaction to the play on the highlights. The shot goes wide, Sutton walks casually to the side of his net and calmly picks up his water bottle and starts to drink it, not even having the slightest suspicion that a penalty could possibly be called on the play. Then he stands stunned when he realizes that the Ref has actually called a Penalty. The same Ref who decided to invent a new rule in the 2nd half for stopping the play late in the game just to allow Honduras to waste more time, something he had absolutely no right to do.

I agree that Canada wasn't at their absolute best although that was mainly in the first half. But they did play well and were much better than Honduras and much more deserving of advancing - just because the Ref decided not to bestow us with a gift PK is not an argument against that. We can criticize Canada for not putting away its chances and I've mentioned that in the main page blog, but that ignores the lack of a level playing field that we compete in, which is what this thread is about.

Archived