A dry TFC game!!

coppercanuck

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The problem with soccer is that there is only one opportunity to go for beer so everyone goes at the same time.

What kind of candy-assed, puritanical, prohibition-wannabees are running the operation?

At Highlanders games (average attendance app: 1600) we have at least a half-dozen "beer-girls" with trays circulating in the stands as well as the counter service. Heck we practically have our own beer-girl (Hi Holly!) who seems to do nothing but bring beers to the Bravehearts end.

Having to actually go to a counter for a beer. How quaint. ;)

quote:Originally posted by ted

What kind of candy-assed, puritanical, prohibition-wannabees are running the operation?

At Highlanders games (average attendance app: 1600) we have at least a half-dozen "beer-girls" with trays circulating in the stands as well as the counter service. Heck we practically have our own beer-girl (Hi Holly!) who seems to do nothing but bring beers to the Bravehearts end.

Having to actually go to a counter for a beer. How quaint. ;)

We have beer girls and guys roaming the stands, except for the south stand.

The south stand lost that privelege last year after numerous incidents in which the AGCO threatened to pull the license for the entire stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

You don't have to pay anything to vote in this country, you really are reaching now and sounding more and more like a whiny teenager not the 24 year old man you say you are. Perhaps its time to behave like one.

How does one vote without ID? How does one procure ID to vote?

His point is simple, but you're too caught up in your pedantic schtick to notice it.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

Is it true that they were charging $12.00? A case of 24 cost $24.00 here in Quebec. Maybe the LBCO is pointing out that people that don't mind getting ripped off need to reflect upon the stupidity of it all.

But it's not exactly logical to compare the price of beer at a store to beer at a sports stadium (or a bar for that matter).

Now, if you were comparing the cost of beer at Le Stade du Fromage to the cost of beer at BMO, then you'd be making a valid point.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Agreed. A non-LCBO approach would absolutely benefit drinkers of popular beer as it would be cheaper and easy to access, but selection would nosedive, especially in places that aren't large cities. Essentially, the LCBO is like having a specialty beer/liquor/wine store in every town, in multiple locations. I think that's pretty cool, personally.

I am of two minds on this one. True, it annoys me to no end that I cant just walk down to the street corner and pick up some beer if I have an urge for a cold one. Just like if I wanted to by a loaf of bread or a bottle of soft drink. The Beer strores in Ontario are not at every corner. yes there are many, but the likely scenario is that you have to go out to find one (ie.: hop into a car, take a bus, subway ect).

But on the other hand, you both raise a good point that I hadn't considered until recently, the system in Ontario has Fostered a much much more sophistical beer conaisseur and consumer. It put emphasis on success driven moreso on product quality rather than mass marketing and distribution. Coversely, the conveneice store and grocery store distribution method, churns out a TV dinner and baby Duck wine level of sophistication in the beer consumer.

Hence the choices available in Quebec are the rediculously restricticetd to the bland generic brands of the big three to four North american producers and thats what the consumers end up buying. No different than the Pepsi versus Coke. That definbitely not the case when you go to a Brewers retailer

I am of two minds on this one. True, it annoys me to no end that I cant just walk down to the street corner and pick up some beer if I have an urge for a cold one. Just like if I wanted to by a loaf of bread or a bottle of soft drink. The Beer strores in Ontario are not at every corner. yes there are many, but the likely scenario is that you have to go out to find one (ie.: hop into a car, take a bus, subway ect).

I agree, it's a definite disadvantage. I guess the only place where you'd not be at a disadvantage is in the burbs where you have to get in a car regardless of whether you're looking for a corner store or an LCBO. But in the city or in really rural areas, definitely it's a pain to have to find an actual LCBO or a Brewers' Retail.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

How does one vote without ID? How does one procure ID to vote?

His point is simple, but you're too caught up in your pedantic schtick to notice it.

Welcome to the whiny teenager definition.

There are plenty of alternate ways to prove your identity in any Canadian election without requiring the paid for government issued ID card to which he is referring. In what way is that pedantic?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Welcome to the whiny teenager definition.

How is it whining?

All he said (amidst all of the back and forth) was that government-issued ID's should be free for everyone of legal age. When he pointed out that one cannot exercise one's legal right to vote with a government ID (in essence, that one would have to pay to vote, thus disproving your notion that one does not have to pay to vote), you called him a whiner.

You're just being ridiculous.

But on the other hand, you both raise a good point that I hadn't considered until recently, the system in Ontario has Fostered a much much more sophistical beer conaisseur and consumer. It put emphasis on success driven moreso on product quality rather than mass marketing and distribution. Coversely, the conveneice store and grocery store distribution method, churns out a TV dinner and baby Duck wine level of sophistication in the beer consumer.

Hence the choices available in Quebec are the rediculously restricticetd to the bland generic brands of the big three to four North american producers and thats what the consumers end up buying. No different than the Pepsi versus Coke. That definbitely not the case when you go to a Brewers retailer

This is not true. At any Depanneur (corner store) you can get in addition to the mass marketed stuff, several microbrews (at the very least those from Unibroue and often several others) and several European beers. I buy one of the regional beers from near Leipzig (Wernesgruner) that I used to drink in Germany at the Depanneur and recently found one that has 4 500ml cans for $6.99 (instead of the usual $7.49 or $7.99). The LCBO does have a larger selection of European beers than the SAQ but it is not like the SAQ doesn't have anything either. The SAQ offers maybe 25 foreign beers while the LCBO has about 50 (not accurate figures just a rough comparison). The microbrew industry in Quebec is very healthy and it is quite easy to buy these beers even in the corner stores. When I am in Ontario, I will go and buy a few beers at the LCBO that I can't get in Quebec but overall I greatly prefer the system in Quebec because we still have a large selection and it is much more easy, convenient and cheap to buy. And I say that as someone who won't drink beer that is not top quality and not brewed to the German pure laws unless it is Belgian exotic styles, ie. no big Canadian/US breweries and even many of the major European breweries who use alternate ingredients to lower production costs.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

How is it whining?

All he said (amidst all of the back and forth) was that government-issued ID's should be free for everyone of legal age. When he pointed out that one cannot exercise one's legal right to vote with a government ID (in essence, that one would have to pay to vote, thus disproving your notion that one does not have to pay to vote), you called him a whiner.

You're just being ridiculous.

You don't need any 'government ID' to vote in a Canadian election there is a long list of documents including many that have nothing to do with government, any two of which will satisfy the election officer that you are entitled to vote. He does not need to pay $50 for any government ID in order to vote, you and he need to get your facts straight before you accuse me of being ridiculous. What does bug me is when people base their arguments on untruths.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

This is not true. At any Depanneur (corner store) you can get in addition to the mass marketed stuff, several microbrews (at the very least those from Unibroue and often several others) and several European beers. I buy one of the regional beers from near Leipzig (Wernesgruner) that I used to drink in Germany at the Depanneur and recently found one that has 4 500ml cans for $6.99 (instead of the usual $7.49 or $7.99). The LCBO does have a larger selection of European beers than the SAQ but it is not like the SAQ doesn't have anything either. The SAQ offers maybe 25 foreign beers while the LCBO has about 50 (not accurate figures just a rough comparison). The microbrew industry in Quebec is very healthy and it is quite easy to buy these beers even in the corner stores. When I am in Ontario, I will go and buy a few beers at the LCBO that I can't get in Quebec but overall I greatly prefer the system in Quebec because we still have a large selection and it is much more easy, convenient and cheap to buy. And I say that as someone who won't drink beer that is not top quality and not brewed to the German pure laws unless it is Belgian exotic styles, ie. no big Canadian/US breweries and even many of the major European breweries who use alternate ingredients to lower production costs.

LCBO is not what I would recommend for Beer when in Ontario. LCBO does sell beer but beer is primarily sold in Brewers reatilers ( otherwise known as "The Beer Store"). There are far far more 50 choices.

To give you an idea, the lables of the beers along with prices are are up on wall inside a beer store. the wntire wall is covered.

Here is a list from their website: You will never find something like this anywhere in quebec

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandsearch_results.asp

I count 166 Premium, 103 Imported and 64 Discount brands...about a dozen of them are only available in keg...most Beer Stores won't have every brand, but they'll probably have most brands. The problem i have with the "Brewers Retail" is that it's no longer a co-operative, it's owned by only 3 companies. It's basically an Oligarchy and i'll bet there's some collusion going somewhere. I'd prefer the Gov't either take it over and run it like the LCBO, or manadate a max. stake any company is allowed to have in the co-operative.

Speaking of the LCBO, it contributes something like a billion dollars annually to the Gov't coffers. If we were to deregulate the industry we'd either lose that revenue or face higher prices as stores would tack on their profit to the current prices. And that's not taking into account economy of scale, few businesses in the province would be able to match the purchasing power of the LCBO to deliver lower prices so you'd probably see an increase at most stores regardless of markup.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

People still buy '50'??

Heh, a buddy of mine in High School used to drink it so no one would steal his beer...it worked. The guy used to also drink Molson Stock Ale! Now that's a retro brand.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I count 166 Premium, 103 Imported and 64 Discount brands...about a dozen of them are only available in keg...most Beer Stores won't have every brand, but they'll probably have most brands. The problem i have with the "Brewers Retail" is that it's no longer a co-operative, it's owned by only 3 companies. It's basically an Oligarchy and i'll bet there's some collusion going somewhere. I'd prefer the Gov't either take it over and run it like the LCBO, or manadate a max. stake any company is allowed to have in the co-operative.

Speaking of the LCBO, it contributes something like a billion dollars annually to the Gov't coffers. If we were to deregulate the industry we'd either lose that revenue or face higher prices as stores would tack on their profit to the current prices. And that's not taking into account economy of scale, few businesses in the province would be able to match the purchasing power of the LCBO to deliver lower prices so you'd probably see an increase at most stores regardless of markup.

Well I know a few relatives of mine are riding the gravy train known as unionized employment at LCBO. Privatize and costs will go down.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Heh, a buddy of mine in High School used to drink it so no one would steal his beer...it worked. The guy used to also drink Molson Stock Ale! Now that's a retro brand.

I knew a guy who would hork up something godawful and spit it into his drink for the same reason. Taste wasn't a concern obviously. Applies to 'cinquant' consumers.

LCBO is not what I would recommend for Beer when in Ontario. LCBO does sell beer but beer is primarily sold in Brewers reatilers ( otherwise known as "The Beer Store"). There are far far more 50 choices.

To give you an idea, the lables of the beers along with prices are are up on wall inside a beer store. the wntire wall is covered.

Here is a list from their website: You will never find something like this anywhere in quebec

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandsearch_results.asp

LCBO is the best place to get a good European beer selection. The beer store does have a good selection of microbrews. I go to both in Ontario but usually what I want to buy is at the LCBO. The selection list you link to is the beer they have in the system not the beer at a typical store. However, I am not arguing that Ontario doesn't have a good selection of beer available. I am arguing that Quebec also has a good selection available even if not quite as much as Ontario and it is easier to get and cheaper. I am saying that your assertion that the Ontario system promotes a connaisseur culture while the Quebec on promotes drinking the standard mass produced beers is false. And there are depanneurs in Quebec that specialize in having a large beer selection similar to what you can get at the Beer Store. Given thhat I can buy 5 brands of German beer 50 metres from my house I don't feel particularly disadvantaged not living in Ontario and having to travel 1 km to have a selection of 10 German beers.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I knew a guy who would hork up something godawful and spit it into his drink for the same reason. Taste wasn't a concern obviously. Applies to 'cinquant' consumers.

Ugh, that's nasty...

I used to work at the LCBO when i was younger as a seasonal employee during the Xmas rush. 65% of permanent LCBO employees are part-timers, they start at $14/hr and get 3% annual increases.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

So how was the DRY TFC match? And how long was the suspension/ban on MLSE?

Just curious ...

It was much more noticable than I ever imagined. And just about everyone around me noted the same thing. Believe it or not, the atmosphere was negatively impacted by what I would estimate 30-50%

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

that's just kinda mean cause central to all this is...I'm broke, not as much lately but generally and that's kinda teasing me for it.

edit: It was probably obvious enough but it shifts from talking to grizzly to richard here

as for my voting experience, I had my expired drivers license, my sin card, and my birth certificate (which I keep all sorts of nonacceptable ID's such as immunization record and something that looks like my birth certificate but says birth registration? but apparently, and with a name like mine no doubt(how many michael juby's are their for frigs sakes), I could be posing to get one vote in) and it was a no go.

Maybe I could have figured it through early polls but I thought I had it covered and I bet they would have told me I need good photo ID. I think it's one of two things A) unreasonable demands at a polling station, or B) the government should do it's job and ensure one of the only inalienable rights I have by providing what their demanding, if they demand photo ID to vote, and it costs me money for the ID, I have to pay to vote and could potentially (although it's a rarity, I've said many times it's a petty point) be too broke to vote.

Archived