Canadian-Soccer.com Media: Re-Cap and Forward

Toronto MB

All,

Thanks for all of those who tuned in to the coverage Laurence and I put together for the Gold Cup ground round. We realise that our work was never perfect, but we sincerely appreciate all of the support. We experimented with different techniques and tactics throughout the tournament, and if nothing else, are much wiser for the experience gained.

We filmed a project re-cap, looking back on the experience and assessing how we can move forward with more projects like this in the future.

Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/thevoyageurs

'Canadian Gold Cup Coverage 2009, Ep. 6'

Here are some thoughts on the broader picture....

The New Canadian-Soccer.com

Speedmonk has been hard at work crafting a new web-site for us, which will also host our brand-new forum. It is currently being hosted at www.cansoc.org and Gian-Luca, amongst others, has already begun posting content to this site. It is my understanding that this web-site will eventually be found at the traditional URL www.canadian-soccer.com - Needless to say, any Voyageurs media projects developed in the future will use this site as a launching pad, and projects should focus on drawing attention to the home-page as a central base.

On-site Canadian Team Coverage

In an era of citizen journalism, blogs, Twitter and podcasts - everyone has the opportunity to share their two-cents on current issues. That being said, there is a big difference between coverage being produced from one's own home and coverage that is being produced on-site at matches/training for our national teams.

I would suggest that if we are going to continue to create meaningful coeverage in the future, the ability to travel to events at home and overseas will be a defining factor in the quality of coverage.

Financing

Obviously one of the biggest obstacles in providing on-site covergage is financing. Laurence and I financed the Gold Cup project ourselves on this occasion in order to be able to experience this kind of a hands-on opportunity. But no doubt, such a model is not sustainable.

Him and I have already developed several good contacts that may allow us to sell this kind of web-video content to groups like the Canadian Press, CBC, Rogers Sportsnet, etc.. in the future. This is something we will certainly be considering for Canada's next major tournament/matches. Even if the cotent in the future is produced for a corporate media group, it is my belief that we should always find a way to link the coverage back to Canadian-Soccer.com and the Voyageurs.

We have also had several Voyageurs come forward and say that they would be willing to help finance this kind of project in the future. So grass-roots funding may always be an option if the demand for a particular event is there.

Working together

We have already been very fortunate to have a good number of Voyageurs with some media-savvy come forward to say they would like to get involved in the future. I will certainly be looking forward to having many of you work on the new Canadian-Soccer.com media coverage with us in the future.

Whether it be through providing links to your personal material on the home-page, or actually having you guys work on the home-page directly, it is crucial that we find a way for many of us to work together on maintaining a relevant and frequently updated Canadian-Soccer.com.

Moving Forward

I will be speaking with Speedmonk behind the scenes to ensure that when we make the swtich to the new Canadian-Soccer.com - that we hit the ground running in terms of improved media coverage.

Those who have already contacted me should expect an e-mail from me in the next couple weeks as we prepare to launch the coverage.

Contact

Please send me an e-mail at max.bell@ymail.com should you want to be a part of the coverage in the future. I would ask that any one wanting to get involved have at least a few portfolio items to submit, as ensuring quality of coverage has to be a central motif for us moving forward.

Not to hijack your thread, but you guys have been doing an amazing job. This is the kind of coverage we all dream to get following our national team during the few and far between times we play. I'm sure all of us V's feel the same as I do.

I've been hesitant to comment about the coverage and want to be encouraging, yet tempered with a little advice from someone who's been there.

Just a couple of points. One, lighting. Why were some of those interviews at the Concacaf set done in the dark? There looked to be a light right behind you with some soft spun on it. If it was part of the setup, use it, and if it belongs to someone else, ask to use it. There is usually a camaraderie of camera guys who will help each other out (when the pressure isn't on to get a shot).

When I started at a small private outfit, our equipment was so pathetic that the CBC guys would light everything and even offer me their tripod. By the way, always use a tripod.

Don't be intimidated by the big media players. If you have accreditation you deserve to be there. You might have to learn that lesson the hard way when someone elbows you out of a scrum position but it's your right to screw him too. I saw a guy get in front of your shot (in a scrum on the field), just take your hand and put it on his shoulder and gently move him aside, if he doesn't move, do the Spock Vulcan death grip and press and push a little harder, he'll get the message.

Don't be shy, I realize you probably were in a hurry to grab the players but they want to look good too. I've adjusted more ties on famous people than I care to remember, they'll be glad you did. Take the extra time for proper lighting and audio, no wishful shooting.

Max, is it? You have a nice screen presence and are knowledgeable but you've got to slow down your speech pattern. Remember us bingo players watching, sometimes we're a little slow on the uptake.

Laurence, buddy, relax, you look like you're in pain. You reminded me of Eric Idol doing one of those over analytical British commentator parodies. It's a game, not Shakespeare, or life and death. Take a page out of David Brinkley's take on politicians, these guys are making big money to do a job they are damn lucky and privileged to be in a position to do. Treat them accordingly.

I guess you guys are media students but you have done a great thing. There is still only one way to learn this business and that is by doing. You two taking the initiative to learn all sides of the biz, production, aud/vid/lights, interviewing techniques is fantastic. You probably learned more on this trip than you ever did in school, I know I did. And I think you'll find that some of the theory you learned in school will come into focus (and be useful) once you become more familiar with the practical side.

Good luck with your future, you're off to a good start. I hope you take this ol has been's advice in the spirit with which it was given.

i think you guys did a great job. i actually like the fact that things are more "behind the scenes" and not so perfect. i don't think everything has to be lit the same way or have the players squinting cuz they can't see.

there were some things that were not up to standard with what a large corporation with a plethora of people to put it together could do but i think the great questions, follow up questions and the speed in which you were able to post these up was way more important in my eyes.

fantastic work!

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

I've been hesitant to comment about the coverage and want to be encouraging, yet tempered with a little advice from someone who's been there.

Just a couple of points. One, lighting. Why were some of those interviews at the Concacaf set done in the dark? There looked to be a light right behind you with some soft spun on it. If it was part of the setup, use it, and if it belongs to someone else, ask to use it. There is usually a camaraderie of camera guys who will help each other out (when the pressure isn't on to get a shot).

When I started at a small private outfit, our equipment was so pathetic that the CBC guys would light everything and even offer me their tripod. By the way, always use a tripod.

Don't be intimidated by the big media players. If you have accreditation you deserve to be there. You might have to learn that lesson the hard way when someone elbows you out of a scrum position but it's your right to screw him too. I saw a guy get in front of your shot (in a scrum on the field), just take your hand and put it on his shoulder and gently move him aside, if he doesn't move, do the Spock Vulcan death grip and press and push a little harder, he'll get the message.

Don't be shy, I realize you probably were in a hurry to grab the players but they want to look good too. I've adjusted more ties on famous people than I care to remember, they'll be glad you did. Take the extra time for proper lighting and audio, no wishful shooting.

Max, is it? You have a nice screen presence and are knowledgeable but you've got to slow down your speech pattern. Remember us bingo players watching, sometimes we're a little slow on the uptake.

Laurence, buddy, relax, you look like you're in pain. You reminded me of Eric Idol doing one of those over analytical British commentator parodies. It's a game, not Shakespeare, or life and death. Take a page out of David Brinkley's take on politicians, these guys are making big money to do a job they are damn lucky and privileged to be in a position to do. Treat them accordingly.

I guess you guys are media students but you have done a great thing. There is still only one way to learn this business and that is by doing. You two taking the initiative to learn all sides of the biz, production, aud/vid/lights, interviewing techniques is fantastic. You probably learned more on this trip than you ever did in school, I know I did. And I think you'll find that some of the theory you learned in school will come into focus (and be useful) once you become more familiar with the practical side.

Good luck with your future, you're off to a good start. I hope you take this ol has been's advice in the spirit with which it was given.

Joe,

That was actually the most refreshing and insightful feedback I've read throughout the whole process.

All of it is taken in good stead, as it clearly comes from someone with genuine experience.

Re: my speedy delivery - you are absolutely correct, and I will work on this for sure.

Re: Laurence needing to relax - we were both saying that we looked tremendously uncomfortable at times. I assume this will come with time, in his defense, he is an absolute newcomer to Canadian soccer and was likely super-worried about slipping up on the topic.

Re: the lighting. Well CONCACAF seemed like they constantly wanted us to try and interview in the worst possible settings. (Richard Scott from the CSA forceably pulled us into the exclusive rights-holders media section at times and told CONCACAF they needed to get us a better setting. You will also note the terrible audio on the post Costa-Rica footage as we were trying to conduct interview under the metal stands hosting thousands of screaming/stomping supporters) I agree that we need to slow down the approach, even when rushing to get players, and make sure to get all the small details right. This is one of the major lessons learned, you only have one chance to do the interview - so might as well get the details perfect! We did use a tripod on all occasions. Perhaps a portable lighting option is going to be our next purchase.

Honestly, thanks, I will share this with Laurence.

MB

Max, you have the right attitude. Always look to improve, never be satisfied. One piece of advice I got once was it costs as much money to make a crappy production as it does a good one, so use your knowledge and experience as best you can.

I look at some stuff I shot when I just started and later when I should have known better and just cringe. Make it a habit to look at your stuff later under sober second thought and ask why did I do that or how could I have made it better.

Your brains and guile will be your best ally, if you can tell a compelling story that will trump some technical deficiencies but the quality has to be there too. That's what sets you apart from the guy with a camcorder.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Laurence, buddy, relax, you look like you're in pain. You reminded me of Eric Idol doing one of those over analytical British commentator parodies.

Assuming you are not talking about Billy's long-lost brother here, I have to say that anyone who puts in a performance reminiscent of Eric Idle should be praised. Yes the Python's were parodying British commentators but the reason why they are funny is because they got the mannerisms absolutely correct despite the silliness of whatever it was they were saying. I thought Laurence handled himself well on-screen, particularly taking in the unintentionally hilarious responses from the El Salvador and Jamaican fans, which would have had me giggling at the very least.

^^Yes, pardon the Eric Idle mistake. I think I missed the Merceresque humour in "Talking to Salvadorans". I was commenting on this piece in particular.

I don't want to crucify the young fella, in fact I only try to comment, encourage or give constructive criticism to the people I think are worth giving some advice. These young fellas did very well, in fact if it was Laurence behind the camera, from what little I saw he had a pretty good eye re composition/angles/framing.

I haven't commented on an online radio program I heard the other night where I thought the commentary actually was better than Sominex for putting me to sleep and rivaled the Setanta PBP guy for brutal broadcasting.

Archived