Who has Hart in their heart?

superbrad

To be fair, the group Holger had was nowhere near as talented or experienced as the current group of players, I think he realized what he had and used the right tactics for the group. It's pretty remarkable in retrospect.

After reading the thread, and strobe's retrospective I am feeling even more convinced that Hart deserves a chance. The Gold Cup may be a mickey mouse tourney on the world stage but it is really important for our program in achieving rankings, attracting and cap tying new players, etc. Also Cheeta pointing out that it is basically all good as long as Hart is winning is a nice thought. He wins the job on merit or even though it is super unlikely, we hire an accomplished manager. Good situation to be in.

It really seems as though respect from the players is one of, if not the key factor in whether or not they will perform to get results. Hart has their respect, obviously. It became very obvious after the interview with Johnson that he is looked upon highly by the players. The other comment that caught my attention is deGuzman's, where he talked about how the players are looking to get a world class coach to lead them during the next World Cup campaign. Due to that comment, my perfect world situation would look like this:

Hart remains as interim head coach and plays a pivotal role in seeking out a new coach with international experience. Hart stays on as an assistant to the new coach, as his presence and the fact the players respect him so much could cause the coaching change to work more smoothly. If Hart could eventually find himself a coaching job somewhere overseas, and get a good number of years experience at doing so, it would be wise to keep close ties with him, as he could eventually come back somewhere down the line. Rosy coloured glasses are my specialy.

To make that long story short, I don't think Hart should be appointed to the coaching role as a permanent. One thing Ben Rycroft and others on here have said in the last little bit that I fully agree on is he should remain in the Tech. Direc. position and concentrate on helping our program grow. That is where his talents can be best used.

We need to possibly break the bank on this one and seek out a guy who's either coached a top 50 FIFA nation or has coached a a very high level in Europe. Re-watch the interview with The Guz after the El Salvador game I believe, he makes mention of this hope from the players.

I am of the opposite opinion. The players like him, respect him and play for him. Keep him as head coach.

The TD position could go away and never be heard from again, as far as I am concerned. Very little coming out of that position in the last 10 years. Leave tech. development to the pro teams.

I have watched the last 3 games under Hart and see players who are committed to a system and I see players who are enjoying the chance.

Too me, this is Hart's doing -- IMO, he is the one setting up the positive atmosphere. Let's see how far he can go with MNT over the next couple of years. I suspect that we may have a international coach in the making!

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Just for fun, let say we lose 2 or 3 nil saturday against an Honduras B squad in a game where nothing goes right...what do we do with Hart?

Doesn't Canada have a policy of rewarding certain coaches

with the MNT position? :D

But really, what if the score was 2-1? Same coach, same

respect from players, the result does not matter as much to me,

considering we were supposed to end up in last place in the

"group of death", where every other sent their "A" squads.

I'm fairly certain a big loss is not going to happen, but if it did..

I think the whole reason he looks like the new permanent coach is because he has built up respect from the players based on man management skills but mainly results. I think a big loss changes the picture a little and should prompt a closer look at the situation - ie interviews and consideration of other candidates as opposed to just offering him a contract straight up. Probably still the man given our budget and past results but see what else is out there if the team implodes.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Doesn't Canada have a policy of rewarding certain coaches

with the MNT position? :D

Are you referring to Hart getting the interim MNT job after failing to qualify the U-17 for 3 consecutives U-17 WC? :D

I'm not against Hart being given a chance but I just don't share the excitement over what I saw so far in the GC. I find it really tough to evaluate our performance with what happened the last time we did well in that tournament.

Surely, the fact that players seems to like playing for Hart is a good point but let's remember the nice comments from Brennan, DeRo and a few others at the time of Mitchell hiring and even before the SVG games, just to see them criticizing him when the team was in the toughest position. The respect can disappear quickly in bad times...

Sorry, I'm just overly cautious with this team these days....

Surely, the fact that players seems to like playing for Hart is a good point but let's remember the nice comments from Brennan, DeRo and a few others at the time of Mitchell hiring and even before the SVG games, just to see them criticizing him when the team was in the toughest position. The respect can disappear quickly in bad times...

As I scrolled down the posts I was going to make this point but you beat me to it.

The big thing is that he's getting more out of the players during his two stints as gaffer than Yallop or Mitchell did and I hope the momentum continues for however long he's in charge, interim or fulltime.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Ok... can't think of a better thread to unveil this...

We've had Holger's Heroes... The Frank Yallop Experience... and Mitchell's Misfits... now it's time for...

The HART ATTACK!

[:o)]

hartk.jpg

Now, notwithstanding that I fully respect you position as THE chief graphics guy around here, how can we not be going this direction:

hartfound.jpg

What's more Canadian than the HART FOUNDATION? I gotta find me a pair o' wraparounds!

(And replacing Anvil with our Hart holding the World Cup in a stylized version of the above would be perfect.)

Are you referring to Hart getting the interim MNT job after failing to qualify the U-17 for 3 consecutives U-17 WC? :D

but let's remember the nice comments from Brennan, DeRo and a few others at the time of Mitchell hiring and even before the SVG games, just to see them criticizing him when the team was in the toughest position. The respect can disappear quickly in bad times...

Sorry, I'm just overly cautious with this team these days....

Of course, that too.;)

It's okay to be cautious, we all should after Yallop and Mitchell.

As for Brennan and De Rosario, well, I don't think the current

team, nor many fans, really noticed they were missing. Maybe the

roster we have now is more professional, as we have a more professional coach than before.

(The only ones I really miss: Lars, Serioux, Friend ... but I think

who we have now have played better as a team.)

Though I am not fully sold that Hart is the best choice, one has to think WE--Canadian soccer, that is--owe him a shot. He's done well as interim, the players like him AND he was born in Trinidad! How can we overlook that most important factor: Jack Warner and the gods of CONCACAF must give a native son favorable results.

I like the idea of giving him the reins through the next Gold Cup, but I suspect that would amount to hedging one's bets too much when what you really need to convey to the coach of your national side is that you are fully behind them (until they screw the pooch, that is.)

I hope hart becomes the permanent coach maybe Yallop and Mitchell can fight for the assistant coach job if it ever becomes vacant [8D] since they could use a lesson in how a real coach handles our team. If the board of directors have any drive whatsoever to qualify for WC2014 they better start considering a coach with experience that will be able to select the right players and build their experience for international play.

The real test for Canada will be when a team decides to pressure the defence and the midfield when we try to play it out. Recall that the US in the semi's mugging our midfielders in the last semi, our WC qualifying capaign (except Mexico) and we really didn;t look so good under either Hart or Mitchell. El Salvador did for the first 15 mins of the second half and started to do better. However Jacovic and McKenna both did well enough that they backed off.

I am not too keen to annoint anyone based on this most recent gold cup purely because we have not been put under a lot of pressure so I do not think we are getting an honest assessment of how well our team is or is not capable of playing under Hart.

Archived