Canada v Costa Rica Viewing Vancouver

I appreciate the effort and will try and make it myself but also figure that we need something more central for the longterm for Vancouver area supporters. That's almost an hour for me by transit if I want to have a few beers and I'm only in East Van. We have a lot of members in Burnaby, North Van, East Van and the Valley, etc, and. something tells me fewer in UBC/Richmond where that location would be especially convenient. Again, great effort, just wondering if we could meet everybody at a more central location next time around. It would be nice to make a permanent home for the V's. cheers!!

Sorry, but if people choose to live out in suburban sprawl, then that's their problem, and they need to live with the consequences of their decisions. It shouldn't inconvenience the entire group.

You don't see the Whitecaps trying to put a stadium in New West or Surrey because it's "central" in terms of Metro Vancouver. If people choose to live out in the middle of nowhere, why should we cater to them? They can't have it both ways.

Just my humble opinion...

As for Elwood's specific location, it is in an extremely convenient location for public transit. Broadway is western Canada's busiest bus corridor, and the 99 B-Line express bus stops just three blocks away. What's the problem?

the 99 b line runs every 10 minutes down broadway from commercial skytrain station, i used to live on fraser, so ive done the trip many times. its a twenty minute bus ride from commercial to elwoods.

unfortunately i can't move the bar more central, but i can try to make evrything else as convenient as possible, lol

Ah East vs West. I thought we resolved this debate in '91. Do I side with my former neighbor BWA, or my current neighbor Nolando? Too close to call. I think I'll sit on the fence. As a general observation, Commercial Drive is very much the centre of Vancouver's football universe, but it has very little for the Canada supporter. There's something about Dani Fernandes "East Van" gloves that rub me the wrong way for sure. If we go back to Abruzzo we'll be overun with Ticos. Prior to Elwood's, the best venue I've attended for Canada is Kitsilano Billiards. They support Olympiakos, but the crowd was very pro Canada last Gold Cup. Let's meet up where we're welcome I say. Abruzzo makes me feel a bit like a foreigner in my country anyway. And they have no beer. And, in any event, aren't we VOYAGEURS?</u>

Travelling is part of the deal I thought?

There is the Three Lions Cafe. It's on Broadway / Manitoba. Very football friendly and more central. The selfish part of me chooses the Frog and Firkin only because it's right beside me. I would like to see a place where there would be ( and this may be a little cheesy but WTF..) " Home of the Voyageurs - Canada's Official Soccer ( football ) Supporters club" type of thing. I am definitely not against a little shameless self promotion. A fixed location would benefit everyone and all but eliminate the need for posting on here when, where, etc....or we can buy our own pub somewhere on the lower east side and take it from there....i think the first idea is easier.

Enjoy the game friday . I will be working and cannot make it.

I say give the owner at Elwood's a break. He's a fellow Southsider/Footy fan...You won't find any other pub in Vancouver or owner catering to "Canadian" futbol" fans, without putting the game, in a extreme corner with some 1970's TV, and if worse comes to worse, there's a pub closeby to Elwood's, but the owner has given his word to the Southsiders on remedying any problems that might occur in the past, and I don't see that changing for the Voyageurs. Geez, you guys are too picky and trying to create a "Central Vancouver Voyageurs only pub"....I live out way in Langley, but if I had time, I'd visit Elwood's, cuz it's the atmpsphere that counts. I won't touch a Brit/Italian/Latino pub anytime soon for Canadian matches, after a bad experience I had years back, like I was describing earlier in my post. Hell it was hard finding a pub in Toronto back when I was there to support Canadian footy, until I found one by accident and told some Toronto Voyageurs were to watch some WCQ matches. I'd say all Vancouver Voyageurs go to Elwood's. If it's going to be a future Southsiders pub, might as well be a Voyageurs's Pub too, as most Southsiders in the future will support Canada.

Not trying to give anybody a hard time - i can see that this has hit a few nerves - just saying that there are a lot of hardcore v's on the eastside and just east or north into the burbs. Not concerned with acomodating Missionites or anything. Sorry, BWA, but balaclava is about as far west as you can get before falling into the drink - if it comes down to having 5-10 people out at the westside or having 30 of us taking over something more central (broadway and manitoba sounds about right to me) you can see what the obvious choice for solidarity would be - you also have to figure that for a tournament like this or other big games in the evening, people have get across traffic too. For the record, pray tell, where do you live BWA?? I'm guessing it's minutes from Elwoods and not almost an hour away, am I right?

Which "entire group" is it that is being inconvenienced, I wonder?

i go to all the games in burnaby and i live in west van, its not a big deal to get there, so surely the other direction is equally as simple?

i'm not gonna diss anybody, its entirely up to you where you go to watch the game, but picking holes in something because its on west broadway rather than east broadway seems a little fickle, when the vast majority of bars aren't interested in showing the games with any real commitment.

we are in the process of building a sort of trophy cabinet i believe, if the voyageurs were interested in having some kind of display in there, i could chat with danny (the boss), about it.

as i say, go watch the game where you want to watch it, but if people wanna come down to elwoods, you are all very welcome.

ps. we had problems the one time because i tried to organise opening the place early for a morning game at very short notice, we did get up and running but it wasn't perfect, there will be no future issues like that as the games are on at normal times! :D

quote:Originally posted by Robchester_2000

i go to all the games in burnaby and i live in west van, its not a big deal to get there, so surely the other direction is equally as simple?

i'm not gonna diss anybody, its entirely up to you where you go to watch the game, but picking holes in something because its on west broadway rather than east broadway seems a little fickle, when the vast majority of bars aren't interested in showing the games with any real commitment.

we are in the process of building a sort of trophy cabinet i believe, if the voyageurs were interested in having some kind of display in there, i could chat with danny (the boss), about it.

as i say, go watch the game where you want to watch it, but if people wanna come down to elwoods, you are all very welcome.

ps. we had problems the one time because i tried to organise opening the place early for a morning game at very short notice, we did get up and running but it wasn't perfect, there will be no future issues like that as the games are on at normal times! :D

appreciate the extra effort!!

At the end of the day, i would support a place that has a 100% Canadian fan base no matter where. Not knowing that the owner of Elwoods was an SS, i am inclined to take back my last post and support him all the way. Having our own place would be a huge step in the right direction. Supporting each other is key as well. Carpooling, designated driver ( no effin way will i do that!!!! ...lol ) but you see where i am going. I would be more than happy to have Elwoods as our place so long as it is dedicated to Canadian football and the Voyageurs. Just my 2 cents

the 99 b line runs every 10 minutes down broadway from commercial skytrain station, i used to live on fraser, so ive done the trip many times. its a twenty minute bus ride from commercial to elwoods.

unfortunately i can't move the bar more central, but i can try to make evrything else as convenient as possible, lol

Just for the sake of accuracy, I think the 99b runs much more often than every 10mins. I know for sure that during peak hours it runs every 2-3mins. The game will be shown when the 99b is probably running every 5-ish mins.

Also, from Commercial to MacDonald I'd say is closer to 30 than 20 minutes.

And yes, did live in East Van and did go to UBC ;)

Guest speedmonk42

Any chance of planting the seeds for a downtown supporters bar ala coming MLS?

I will drop by Elwoods tomorrow if it's still on.

In Vancouver for a while.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Sorry, BWA, but balaclava is about as far west as you can get before falling into the drink - if it comes down to having 5-10 people out at the westside or having 30 of us taking over something more central (broadway and manitoba sounds about right to me) you can see what the obvious choice for solidarity would be - you also have to figure that for a tournament like this or other big games in the evening, people have get across traffic too. For the record, pray tell, where do you live BWA?? I'm guessing it's minutes from Elwoods and not almost an hour away, am I right?

In terms of a venue, I wasn't debating west side versus east side. My point is Vancouver versus suburbs.

I have already said "East Van is fine", and "not past Boundary Road". It needs to be in the City of Vancouver. That is all.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Why don't the lot of you go to The Yaletown Spa to watch the game? I hear they have lockers to store your purses while you get your nails done and watch the match at the same time.

Bonus!

I'm thinking penalty kicks to decide this once and for all.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

Is the game again not shown in the Vancouver area? Why? Is it another Mariner game? I dont get it.

There is a Bluejays game and Sportsnet Pacific is not going to show the game live. Unless you have digital cable, like I do, it'll be shown live on Sportsnet West and Sportsnet East. I'd prefer going to a pub and watching the game live. Always fun to talk to fellow Canuck fans, while drinking some pints and such. I hope the Southsiders come too, as it would a rowdy time watching Canada play [8D]

quote:Originally posted by puskas

I would but I am working. Is Sportsnet Pacific showing the game on a tape delay?

According to there TV schedule..Nada, zero, zilch on Friday or Saturday..Another reason to boycott Sportsnet and there baseball..would be better if the Canadian Nats would be shown live on CBC or TSN. I would suggest GolTV or Foxsports Canada, but than not many Canadian would have access to the game and be more remote to watch any futbol at all.

east van voyageurs v west van voyageurs?

we should organise a little tournament!

have a southsiders team as well! lol

You should ask Rasta on the Southsiders Board about a tournament. There was actually a Southsider kick-in about 6 year's ago at EA Sports. Rasta, Johnny Monster and others came to kick some futbol..there was about 13 of us playing on the sports field. I'm sure Rasta could organize something or one of the Southsiders take the initiative for a kick about again. I wouldn't mind playing for fun again.

quote:I would suggest GolTV or Foxsports Canada, but than not many Canadian would have access to the game and be more remote to watch any futbol at all.
You do realise that if you have GolTV or FSWC, you more-than-likely have access to all 4 regional SN channels?

Boycotting a channel just because they have programming you don't agree with is silly. And I say this as a person who personally can't stand baseball. I would surmise the revenues that SN brings in as a result of baseball allows them to put resources towards developing programming for us soccer nuts.

Archived