Triple Fifa Points for Gold Cup

Lurker

CONCACAF Gold Cup Qualifying Rules/Process (by Lurker):

1) Every team that wants to be in the Gold Cup has to qualify (This would include Mexico, USA and Canada).

2) Divide them into 6 groups of however many teams (groups would probably range from 4-5 and not be of equal size but who cares).

3) The selection of the groups will be done by lots (Top 6 in FIFA Rankings, can't be in the same group, 7-12 can't be, etc.).

4) The top FIFA ranked team in each group hosts a round robin tournament over a week or two period.

5) The top 2 teams from each group qualify for Gold Cup.

6*) In the event of ties, that can't be broken by head-to-head or goal differential, Holgier Osieck will be asked to flip a coin via a conference call from his residence as special CONCACAF representative.

Doing this every off Gold Cup year in June would probably be the best time.

I think this is flawless, I don't see how it wouldn't work.

Note: I've drawn simpler plans and had them fail so help me out if I'm missing something.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Lurker

1) Every team that wants to be in the Gold Cup has to qualify (This would include Mexico, USA and Canada).

2) Divide them into 6 groups of however many teams (groups would probably range from 4-5 and not be of equal size but who cares).

3) The selection of the groups will be done by lots (Top 6 in FIFA Rankings, can't be in the same group, 7-12 can't be, etc.).

4) The top FIFA ranked team in each group hosts a round robin tournament over a week or two period.

6*) In the event of ties, that can't be broken by head-to-head or goal differential, Holgier Osieck will be asked to flip a coin via a conference call from his residence as special CONCACAF representative.

Note: I've drawn simpler plans and had them fail so help me out if I'm missing something.

You've missed something. That system means games like USA-Montserat and Mexico-Turks & Caicos. How are 25-0 games - yes that is a realistic scoreline given the teams involved - good for anyone?

There needs to be at least 1 preliminary round to remove the Super Minnows. At least then you're dealing with teams like Belize that can at least put up a fight.(Not to put words in your mouth, but if you respond with any variation of "they do it in Europe" I will fight you.;) Montserrat can only dream of being as good as Andorra.)

I would imagine that there is a pretty easy way to alter the existing World Cup qualifying structure to suit that purpose.

^ Ok. I'm with you. To prevent 'minnow slaughter' let's go with the top 18 in the rankings (divided into 3 lots, 1-6, 7-12, 13-18) and then anybody else who signs up can qualify through a preliminary round for the last 6 spots. That could be a home and home or mini groups of three, depends on how many sign up.

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

How will you seed non-FIFA CONCACAF members such as Guadeloupe and Martinique?

CONCACAF could arbitrarily seed them based on how they believe they fit, maybe Guadeluope makes it in the B lot (7-12) and Martinque has to play in via the first round. I was just trying to lay out a general plan, I don't think minor details like this would/should be considered stumbling points.

Archived