Not to be pessimistic... but tie-breakers?

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

Heres a scenario for you: If Canada wins, we get through. Go kick some Tico a$$.

I like that approach. Direct, forceful and in their face! Just win every game and forget what the others are doing! I think that is a Hart approved plan.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

nafnikufesin; the FIRST tie-breaker is HEAD-TO-HEAD. We beat El Salvador thus if we finished tied on points with them we have the tie-breaker. It's clearly stated above as tie-breaker "a".

The only way for Canada to finish tied on points with ES is if Canada loses to Costa Rica. If that happens Canada will be involved in a 3-way tie.

quote:The only time it becomes an issue is if CR, ES, and Can finish on 6 points, then we could drop to third....which to me makes no sense! The tie-breaker should still be head-to-head, but whatever.

Well actually, even if it was head-to-head, a 3-way tie means "head-to-head" becomes head-to-head between the 3 teams. So, take out games against the 4th place team (Jamaica in this hypothetical scenario) and formulate the 3-team table that way (3 teams on 3 points each) divided by the only remaining tie-breaker, goal difference. ie., it would be: team A beat team B, who beat team C, who beat team A - head-to-head is therefore irrelevant.

Its confusing but actually quite logical when you think about it. The Champions League has had to do this in the past with 3 teams tied on the same amount of points.

Well I think consensus is that Hart is out-coaching Mitchell, but can he out-draw (as in drawing of lots) Holger? Holger remains to this day the hands-down best man on the draw in the West (or sorry, Stampede fever here; that should be 'in Concacaf').

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

nafnikufesin; the FIRST tie-breaker is HEAD-TO-HEAD. We beat El Salvador thus if we finished tied on points with them we have the tie-breaker. It's clearly stated above as tie-breaker "a".

The only time it becomes an issue is if CR, ES, and Can finish on 6 points, then we could drop to third....which to me makes no sense! The tie-breaker should still be head-to-head, but whatever.

Again, as amacpher has already pointed out, it's also clearly stated that tie-breaker "a" would never come into play in a 3-way tie. If ES is tied with us, that means CR beat us, and ES has beat CR, so it comes down to goal differential and goals as the head-to-head results have been nullified.

Possible scenarios:

-Canada wins or ties, ES-Jam result is irrelevant: Canada takes first

-Canada loses, Jam wins or ties: CR takes first, Canada takes second

-Canada loses 2-1, ES wins 1-0: CR takes first on goals for, Canada and ES need tiebreaker for 2nd

-Canada loses 1-0, ES wins 1-0: Canada finishes third

-Canada loses by more than 2 goals, ES wins by any margin: Canada finishes third

-Canada loses by one goal, ES wins by more than 2 goals: Canada finishes third

-Canada loses by one goal but scores two or more goals, ES wins by one goal but scores fewer than Canada (ie. Canada loses 3-2, ES wins 1-0): CR finishes first, Canada finshes second

Anything can happen. Jamaica could still finish third and stay alive, so they won't roll-over and play dead, but they are the weakest team in the group, ES has beat CR and CR has beat Jam, therefore it is not out of the realm of possibility (and I dare say it's reasonably likely) that ES beats Jam. Therefore, IF Canada loses, a 3-way tie would be quite likely, and therefore the head-to-head tie-breaker becomes a moot point. Which is why Canada should just win and that way we don't have to worry about any of this.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

I'm going to let the other guys sweat it, and look forward to another strong performance under Richard Hart, who is really getting the job done.

You mean Stephen Hart, right?;) At least you didn't say

Corey Hart.

And I agree the Ticos are the ones with the pressure.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

You mean Stephen Hart, right?;) At least you didn't say

Corey Hart.

And I agree the Ticos are the ones with the pressure.

Whatever his name, I think we can agree that Bret "The Hitman" Hart is doing a great job as our interim manager once again.

Anything can happen. Jamaica could still finish third and stay alive, so they won't roll-over and play dead, but they are the weakest team in the group, ES has beat CR and CR has beat Jam, therefore it is not out of the realm of possibility (and I dare say it's reasonably likely) that ES beats Jam. Therefore, IF Canada loses, a 3-way tie would be quite likely, and therefore the head-to-head tie-breaker becomes a moot point. Which is why Canada should just win and that way we don't have to worry about any of this.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Are you guys all trying out for the Sentanta Sports Announcer job? You all seem to have the natural flair for it ;)

I want to work for Sportsnet, so I'm trying to get Dobson's job but I can't find a way to scream at the top of my lungs but still manage to be dry and boring as hell at the same time. I'll bet he's been banned from every library he's ever been in...can't he ever just say something without yelling?

From Richard Scott at the CSA:

Canada's men's national team officially qualified for the quarter-final stage of the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup tonight. Both Canada (Group A leader) and USA (Group B leader) qualified after Panama and Mexico drew 1:1 in Houston, TX. Even if Canada or USA falls to third place in their respective groups, the Group C third-place team will not be able to catch either team.

Guadeloupe actually moved into first place in Group C with a 2:0 win over Nicaragua. Guadeloupe is in first place with six points, followed by Mexico (four points), Panama (one point) and Nicaragua (no points). Guadeloupe has also qualified for the quarter-final stage as it will either finish first or second in Group C.

Canada faces Costa Rica on Friday 10 July at Florida International University Stadium. The match, which kicks of at 19.00 ET (16.00 PT), will be broadcast live on Sportsnet East and Sportsnet West. The Canada-Costa Rica match will be followed by Jamaica-El Salvador at 21.00 ET. The results of the two matches will determine Canada's placing and potential quarter-final opponent.

The 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup runs 3-26 July in 13 cities across USA. Canada leads Group A with six points after back-to-back 1:0 victories over Jamaica (3 July in Los Angeles) and El Salvador (7 July in Columbus).

Archived