Ideas for Ali Gerba Award

With Gerba scoring the way he is I think it's only going to be a matter of time before he eclipses Dale Mitchell's goal scoring record.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but I think it would be really cool for us to do some sort of Voyageurs award and maybe even a gift for if/when he achieves this result. I've read and heard a lot of talk about this record being broken, does anyone have any ideas in this regard?

It should have our stamp on it but come from the CSA (which it obviously would). Unless you're thinking along the lines of something strictly from us unrelated to any award the CSA gives him, I think this could be another way that this organization and the CSA could work together positively (similar to how the V's Cup has evolved, but without Nutrilite's awful stamp on it).

How about if we create the Voyageurs Hall of Fame and induct into it all deserving players, men and women. A unique Voyageurs trophy could be design with an inscription denoting what is for, i.e. most cups, most goals, outstanding service, etc. And I dislike the idea that it be connected with the CSA at all.

I favour the idea of a Hall of Fame webpage on the site. Top goal scorers, most appearances, games in charge (managers) can be among the categories. A trophy is an option but not necessary, IMO.

OMG, why don't we just jinx the man. If he falls down a flight of stairs at the hotel tomorrow morning and never plays again I know who I'm coming for.

quote:Originally posted by ray

I favour the idea of a Hall of Fame webpage on the site. Top goal scorers, most appearances, games in charge (managers) can be among the categories. A trophy is an option but not necessary, IMO.

This is good. I like this. Not sure I'd call it a Hall of Fame page, but an Honours Roll page or some such thing. With the new platform speedmonk has on the go it would be a relatively easy thing to set up and wouldn't need a heck of a lot of upkeep.

Doesn't necessarily have to be all individual honours either. Team honours, which while being team orientated stats and maybe trivial can also be quite interesting.

Hmmm. I like this idea. Like it a lot. Would make for some interesting reading attached to the HP.

Hall of fame on the website is a great idea, but a player winning the record for goals or caps doesn't happen every day and deserves something special.

I'd chip in to get Diesel and Gerba a nice plaque from the Voyageurs for their achievement. Leave the CSA out of it: make it clear that it's the fans congratulating them for it.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Hall of fame on the website is a great idea, but a player winning the record for goals or caps doesn't happen every day and deserves something special.

I'd chip in to get Diesel and Gerba a nice plaque from the Voyageurs for their achievement. Leave the CSA out of it: make it clear that it's the fans congratulating them for it.

+1

Do we start it from right now only, or do we recognize past achievements starting from a specific date (i.e. recognizing Dale Mitchell for being our current scoring leader, Craig Forrest for outstanding achievements in his career and as our Canadian keeper, etc...)?

Not to forget the women too. Christine Sinclair is only 1 goal away from 100 which is also a huge milestone.

Plaques are really cheap. The one I had done up for Radzinski was only $30.00 or so. They have a lot of different styles of awards as well that we can look at. I'll have to go by this store and look at different ideas.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Not to forget the women too. Christine Sinclair is only 1 goal away from 100 which is also a huge milestone.

DEFINITELY! That is a huge accomplishment! I know that the Vs don't give the women as much attention as the men, and there is Gobigred, but this should be recognized. There have not been many Canadian strikers that can actually finish! Sinclair has been captain for both World Cups and Olympics, has represented Canadian soccer very well, and was a finalist for FIFA World Player of the Year.

The key thing to note here is that Sinclair has 99 goals at the age of 26! The all-time record for international goals in the women's game is Mia Hamm at 158. Among active players, Kristine Lilly has 129, but is now 37. Birgit Prinz has 122 goals at age 31. Julie Fleeting has 103 at 28, but is currently pregnant. Abby Wambach has 99 at 29. Marta has 47 at 23. Kelly Smith only has 33 at 30. Only Marta and Fleeting have better goals/game ratio, while Wambach has a nearly identical record, but is three years older than Sinclair. If Sinclair stays healthy and committed, then she has a great chance of surpassing all the active players, and she even has a shot at breaking Mia Hamm's record.

I think the Voyageurs should do something for Sinclair scoring 100 and the planning needs to start now. While Gerba might eventually break Mitchell's goal scoring mark, and Stalteri might surpass Samuel in caps, both are still doubtful and some time off. Sinclair will definitely score 100 and will almost certainly do it this summer. Although it will be tough, it could even happen this month as Canada has two friendlies against the USA on July 19th and 22nd.

So, how about we start these Voyageur awards by giving one to Christine Sinclair?

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

DEFINITELY! That is a huge accomplishment! I know that the Vs don't give the women as much attention as the men, and there is Gobigred, but this should be recognized. There have not been many Canadian strikers that can actually finish! Sinclair has been captain for both World Cups and Olympics, has represented Canadian soccer very well, and was a finalist for FIFA World Player of the Year.

The key thing to note here is that Sinclair has 99 goals at the age of 26! The all-time record for international goals in the women's game is Mia Hamm at 158. Among active players, Kristine Lilly has 129, but is now 37. Birgit Prinz has 122 goals at age 31. Julie Fleeting has 103 at 28, but is currently pregnant. Abby Wambach has 99 at 29. Marta has 47 at 23. Kelly Smith only has 33 at 30. Only Marta and Fleeting have better goals/game ratio, while Wambach has a nearly identical record, but is three years older than Sinclair. If Sinclair stays healthy and committed, then she has a great chance of surpassing all the active players, and she even has a shot at breaking Mia Hamm's record.

I think the Voyageurs should do something for Sinclair scoring 100 and the planning needs to start now. While Gerba might eventually break Mitchell's goal scoring mark, and Stalteri might surpass Samuel in caps, both are still doubtful and some time off. Sinclair will definitely score 100 and will almost certainly do it this summer. Although it will be tough, it could even happen this month as Canada has two friendlies against the USA on July 19th and 22nd.

So, how about we start these Voyageur awards by giving one to Christine Sinclair?

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

If there's a specific trophy to be awarded in commemoration of the achievement, how about a golden shoe/boot?

I had to go to the second page to find this thread (the Gold Cup does make discussing anything else difficult right now), but I would agree that a "Golden Boot" trophy would be appropriate.

We may need one for Gerba at some point in the future if he maintains his great scoring run and challenges Mitchell's record, but we seriously need to look into getting one for Sinclair right away. The WNT has two friendlies this month (19th and 22nd). Although they are against the United States, a career 1:1.3 goals/game average would suggest that Sinclair has a reasonable chance at reaching 100 goals within a week from now. There isn't another player with either national team that has a chance of even coming anywhere close to 100 goals, so we shouldn't let this historic occassion pass without doing something.

I would also suggest, since this should be fairly cheap and easy, that in addition to buying a trophy, we "wrap" the award with a Voyageur scarf and T-shirt. It would be a little something extra that would further emphasise that the trophy was coming from the Voyageurs instead of the CSA, and it would be great for our top players to have a V scarf and shirt anyways.

I have no idea where you could easily purchase a Golden Boot trophy, but awards like this to our top players on both national teams would help to provide a closer and more direct connection between the players and their biggest supporters.

^ The Golden Boot idea is great, along with the addition of a scarf. Maybe a shirt, but definitely a scarf. I wonder if there's any way we could set up an actual presentation to the player when the milestone is reached?

Archived