GOLD CUP results (R)

redhat

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

The GolTV announcers were commenting on Aguilar last night and saying that the main reason he's being pushed along by CONCACAF as one of the elite refs in the region is because of his high fitness level. Apparently CONCACAF are not sure that many of their other refs will be able to pass the gruelling physical tests necessary to ref in the World Cup. [B)]

Well, eye-sight aside they should have no concerns about his physical fitness - the way he intercepted that De Guzman pass in the 2nd half and sent Honduras on a rare dangerous counter-attack shows that he can definitely play the game! ;)

The US may want to find more defenders after watching that second half. I know it was their B team and it was a pro-Mexican crowd for the most part, but losing 5-0 (with 5 goals all in one half) in any type of final can't be excused under any circumstances.

Big job now for the US at Azteca with a now-confident Mexican team.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The US may want to find more defenders after watching that second half.

Not really.

They have good defenders, but none of them were present today.

The only defender that I can see getting a sniff of action with their A side is Chad Marshall, and even he is way down the depth chart.

Jay Heaps - the 30 year old starting right back - is roughly 7th or 8th on the US depth chart, and never had a cap before this tournament. I can't see him getting any more after today, his comical defending and late challenges got him sent off.

quote:Originally posted by Soro17

I see our man Aguilar was the fourth official for the match. An extra payday for a job well done.

Not sure if I read this at BigSoccer or here, but word is the only reason Aguilar is being fast tracked through is because CONCACAF is concerned about the other top refs not being fit enough to pass the World Cup fitness standards. That's right, you too can become a CONCACAF referee as long as you can run 8 laps in 12 minutes!

Despite the scoreline the yanks only have themselves to blame. They had a ton of chances in the first half and Robbie Rogers absolutely had to score from point blank range at the start of the 2nd half. If they score any of those the game completely changes and the yanks would only have to defend. Once they got down a goal and had to push forward it was game over. Dos Santos and Vela won't make any mistakes with all that open space.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Not really.

They have good defenders, but none of them were present today.

The only defender that I can see getting a sniff of action with their A side is Chad Marshall, and even he is way down the depth chart.

Jay Heaps - the 30 year old starting right back - is roughly 7th or 8th on the US depth chart, and never had a cap before this tournament. I can't see him getting any more after today, his comical defending and late challenges got him sent off.

Yeah, I know, mine was a cheeky retort to the US poster who told us that Canada needs to find more finishers, even though with DeRo, Friend, Hume, Radzinski & even Occean absent most of our better finishers weren't there.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The US may want to find more defenders after watching that second half. I know it was their B team and it was a pro-Mexican crowd for the most part, but losing 5-0 (with 5 goals all in one half) in any type of final can't be excused under any circumstances.

Yeah, I'm sure the USSF will get right on that.

quote:Big job now for the US at Azteca with a now-confident Mexican team.

It was going to be a big job anyway as Mexico is always confident playing us at Azteca.

quote:Originally posted by SamIAm

Yeah, I'm sure the USSF will get right on that.

It was going to be a big job anyway as Mexico is always confident playing us at Azteca.

I actually think that, if anything, when the entire US first team plays in Mexico City, they should have the best chance ever to beat Mexico since the may now be underestimated and they must have as much motivation as ever to not only avenge the loss but silence the Mexican supporters.

quote:I actually think that, if anything, when the entire US first team plays in Mexico City, they should have the best chance ever to beat Mexico since the may now be underestimated and they must have as much motivation as ever to not only avenge the loss but silence the Mexican supporters.

I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances in 17 days. Not because I believe that the Mexican team will be overconfident, but because after last month I don't think our guys will play scared as they have a tendency to do while playing away. Not to mention those players had time to play extensively together recently, unlike Mexico. But them being pissed about this game doesn't hurt our chances. Maybe it's the year of ending streaks in this rivalry. I'd love it if we could keep them in 4th place a little while longer.

Well, it was a story of 2 halves really. USA was quite good in the first

half, but in the second, a dubious penalty involving Giovanni Dos Santos

started the Mexican onslaught. The US was pretty much deflated at that

point. (Who knew that a referee controversy could change a match?)

The Mexican counter was prolific and the defenders were flat-footed.

I'm not too convinced about the PK call, but Mexico deserved its "home" win.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

US Soccer spins this farce into "US Win Silver".

Losing 5-0 at home in a stadium filled with full of opposion supporters is not exactly great puplicity for the sport in the US.

lol I just checked the US Soccer homepage and you're not joking! Pathetic! Since when does losing 0-5 in the final warrant a headline "US wins second!"

12 August will be a good day one way or the other. Either the USA and their fans will get some humility or Mexico will still be on the outside looking in (in terms of qualifying for South Africa).

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Well, it was a story of 2 halves really. USA was quite good in the first

half, but in the second, a dubious penalty involving Giovanni Dos Santos

started the Mexican onslaught. The US was pretty much deflated at that

point. (Who knew that a referee controversy could change a match?)

The Mexican counter was prolific and the defenders were flat-footed.

I'm not too convinced about the PK call, but Mexico deserved its "home" win.

Vela changed the game not the ref. After it was still 0-0 at halftime and a fresh Vela coming on and playing well, there was only one way this match was gonna end.

Archived