GOLD CUP results (R)

redhat

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by redhat

I think we're too harsh on a team that many weren't sure of without the

usual stars (DDR, Friend, Lars, Serioux, Imhof, Radzinski, Brennan, etc.)

at the beginning of the Gold Cup.

I think we should get used to it. Brennan hasn't been good enough for the NT in 2 or 3 years, while Radz and Imhof are too old to be worth including. Serioux is good, but hardly a star, and I'm not sure I would have started him ahead of McKenna or Jakovic. DDR never plays up to his potential with the Nats.

Friend and Lars are pretty big omissions.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I think we should get used to it. Brennan hasn't been good enough for the NT in 2 or 3 years, while Radz and Imhof are too old to be worth including. Serioux is good, but hardly a star, and I'm not sure I would have started him ahead of McKenna or Jakovic. DDR never plays up to his potential with the Nats.

Friend and Lars are pretty big omissions.

I agree. Perhaps I should have used "starters" rather than "stars"

in a Canadian soccer sense. DDR seem to show up on every highlight

reel, but in WCQ ...ugh. And yes while Brennan, Radz , and Imhof

are honestly beyond the ideal playing age, their omission is always

mentioned on every soccer article published or broadcasted regarding

this GC squad.

After this GC, I'm still cautiously positive about our MNT.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I agree. Perhaps I should have used "starters" rather than "stars"

in a Canadian soccer sense. DDR seem to show up on every highlight

reel, but in WCQ ...ugh. And yes while Brennan, Radz , and Imhof

are honestly beyond the ideal playing age, their omission is always

mentioned on every soccer article published or broadcasted regarding

this GC squad.

After this GC, I'm still cautiously positive about our MNT.

But DDR has been very good at the Gold Cup, for what it's worth. He would have helped, for sure, perhaps giving us some options on the right flank.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

But DDR has been very good at the Gold Cup, for what it's worth. He would have helped, for sure, perhaps giving us some options on the right flank.

I like DDR and appreciate his intensity and amazing skills. But like

Grizzly maintained, DDR tends to hang on to the ball far too long,

and in WCQ he was not much of a factor at all. Frustratingly, he

missed many opportunities as well. How many goals did he get during

last cycle? How many did Friend? Now, how many did Gerba?

But would I want DDR in my squad? hell ya. He was invited, but declined. That's that.:(

Oh, I agree with you and Grizz entirely: he holds onto the ball way too long. A guy who draws players to him needs to take advantage of this and lay off the ball to somebody open. If he draws two palyers to him, then that should leave more space for his teammates.

No, my point was simply that DDR has done well in the Gold Cup (rather than the WCQ) and would have likely added a dimension to our attack that was missing vs. the Hondus.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Oh, I agree with you and Grizz entirely: he holds onto the ball way too long. A guy who draws players to him needs to take advantage of this and lay off the ball to somebody open. If he draws two palyers to him, then that should leave more space for his teammates.

No, my point was simply that DDR has done well in the Gold Cup (rather than the WCQ) and would have likely added a dimension to our attack that was missing vs. the Hondus.

I agree, though Hejduk shut him down effectively last time round. He may have made a difference, or may be not. But we didn't have anything happening on the right flank vs Honduras, so we needed some king of inspiration there.

USA defeat Honduras 2-0 to advance to the Gold Cup final. Goodson scores on a corner kick in the 45th and then Cooper in the 90th. The US didn't give up too many chances against and created a handful of their own which they obviously capitalized on a couple times...

Honduras didn't ever look that dangerous in this game. Actually they didn't look that dangerous against us either, absent a little help from the man dressed in black of course....

I don't often say this, but I'm glad the US won. Honduras had no business being in the semi-final, never mind the final itself.

USA-Mexico it is. As frustrating as that is, it's better Costa Rica lost - it means fewer points for them in the rankings. Ah $hit, I just realized that means that I now have to cheer for the USA and Mexico in every CONCACAF match they play in the next 2 years. The hits just keep on coming. :S

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

USA defeat Honduras 2-0 to advance to the Gold Cup final. Goodson scores on a corner kick in the 45th and then Cooper in the 90th. The US didn't give up too many chances against and created a handful of their own which they obviously capitalized on a couple times...

Ahh, corner kicks: they also had two other great chances directly off corner kicks.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Honduras didn't ever look that dangerous in this game. Actually they didn't look that dangerous against us either, absent a little help from the man dressed in black of course....

Speaking of men in black, and not Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones but more specifically our man in black with the whistle: did Paul Ward ref any more matches after doing the opening round match between Mexico and Nicaragua? I was having trouble digging up match reports.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Speaking of men in black, and not Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones but more specifically our man in black with the whistle: did Paul Ward ref any more matches after doing the opening round match between Mexico and Nicaragua? I was having trouble digging up match reports.

No, it was his only one. I guess Jack wasn`t happy that he gave the penalty too early.

Wasn't much that was rigged about the Mexico-Costa Rica match. Costa Rica tried hard to gift Mexico with a goal when their captain inexplicably jumped up and handballed the ball in their own area. Mexico refused the gift however as their striker took a woeful penalty. Then after Mexico took the lead late they made sure to let Costa Rica tie it with woeful defensive play and tactics in injury time.

Though I do wonder how often Mexican fans are going to be allowed to pelt opposition players with beer and garbage in this tourney. Are the American players next?

Are the American players next? Probably.

The worst "off" that I've ever seen involving Mexico was during a "friendly" with Peru in 2003 or 2004 at Giants Stadium. A player from each team was sent off. They got into it somehow and then the Mexican players - in the middle of the match - left the field and stormed the locker rooms.

Cantor was indignant when the ref blew his whistle right on 90. That's what you do when the teams behave like idiots, especially in a friendly.

It was bad.

Now, however, there is considerably more crossover and many Mexican fans have warmed to the US. We'll see. Remember, too, that their behavior isn't always personal. They're just being themselves.

The closest thing ever to an American Hillsborough was the scene after US-Guatemala at RFK in 2000. How no one was killed at that game I'll never know.

The GolTV announcers were commenting on Aguilar last night and saying that the main reason he's being pushed along by CONCACAF as one of the elite refs in the region is because of his high fitness level. Apparently CONCACAF are not sure that many of their other refs will be able to pass the gruelling physical tests necessary to ref in the World Cup. [B)]

Archived