GOLD CUP results (R)

redhat

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Disappointing tourney for Jamaica especially after the Jamaican government apparently gave them $12 million to prepare for the tourney after the team's sponsors bailed out. That's part of the problem with the group of death in a tourney where 2 of 3 3rd place teams make it through - the other two groups have 3rd place teams that get to beat up on the weak team of the group & pile up the points, whereas there wasn't a weak team in Group A.

I've said this before, but how could anyone (Hoilett) seriously consider playing for Jamaica ahead of Canada!? This is the JFF's second financial crisis in the last 30 months.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I've said this before, but how could anyone (Hoilett) seriously consider playing for Jamaica ahead of Canada!? This is the JFF's second financial crisis in the last 30 months.

True. But how could a Canadian not choose Canada? That's a better question.

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

The guys on GolTV keep calling Panama the 'Canal Boys', is this really their nickname?

i find GOLtv very hard to watch...the whole overdone 'goal' call is completely out of place in the dead pan presentation...its totally forced.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Mexico 2, Guadeloupe 0

Guadeloupe gets 2 reds and was very unlucky to score ...

Well, yeah they had that one lonely chance but it was pretty much one-way traffic for Mexico in this one, even before the first red-card.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

^I believe that the nickname of Panama national teams is "la marea roja".

These commentators make things up as they go along.

I don't know if they have an 'official' nickname, but I've heard/read them called los canaleros. So I guess Canal Boys is sort of anglo-sized version of that. But it's super lame.

cheers,

matthew

"Caneleros" is the national nickname, like Ticas for Costa Ricans, Catrachos for Hondurans, Yanquis for Americans, etc.Canal boys sounds artificial, would be mopre like Canalers in English.

"La Marea Roja" ("the red tide", sounds very recently manufactured, a ripoff of Univ of Alabama´s) is the name of the national futbol team, Seleción Panama, such as the Lions for England, Dragons for Wales, Tricolores for Mexico, etc.

quote:Originally posted by ob1

I read that the USA had scored in extra time on a penalty, anyone know if this was another phantom call to help them progress.

goldcup.org is currently showing the goals from this game.

The foul that brought the penalty was a pretty good one - the Panamanian defender kicked the American in the gut while trying to go for the ball. Hard to argue with it, but who's to say the player wasn't in on the fix too? I wouldn't rule it out in Jack's little world.

From AP:

"Cooper was kicked in the gut by Panama's Roman Torres as they went for the ball, and the penalty was awarded by Mexican referee Benito Archundia, who also worked Italy's victory over Germany in the 2006 World Cup semifinal. Goalkeeper Jaime Penedo correctly dived to his right, but Cooper's low kick went in off the post.

Panama's Felipe Baloy received a his second yellow card, and a red, for arguing with Archundia following the final whistle."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5issxc5jIlAp-oFC8mHQ3Ux37NdnwD99H9FTG0

I think Canada and Honduras were on the same level yesterday, it's frustrating when the difference was made by the ref, but to be fair, even if Canada has played a better game, we should have scored at least one goal (Johnson had a very good opportunity in the 2nd half and he choked).

I think we're too harsh on a team that many weren't sure of without the

usual stars (DDR, Friend, Lars, Serioux, Imhof, Radzinski, Brennan, etc.)

at the beginning of the Gold Cup.

After the group stage, even GolTV called us the "surprise of the tournament".

And now we're crap because we couldn't overcome atrocious refereeing?

We're starting to prepare for 2014 -- in light of that, we are well on our way

in our preparation.

Archived