GOLD CUP results (R)

redhat

Jamaica beats El Salvador and gets 3rd place based on head to head results as they both finish with 3. Now they have to wait to see if that will be enough to pull them through - they have to hope the US beats Haiti by about 3 goals, if I've got my sums right, and that Nicaragua upsets or draws Panama.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ That's exactly it G-L. Haiti have a +1 GD and have scored 2 goals (more than Jamaica's 1 goal) so their GD has to drop by 3 goals for Jamaica to go through. A Panama win puts them through with 4 points, but a Panama draw or loss means Jamaica and Haiti go on...

At the moment these are the probable* QF matchups:

QF1 Canada vs. Honduras

QF2 USA vs. Panama

QF3 Mexico vs. Costa Rica

QF4 Guadeloupe vs. Haiti/Jamaica

* Assuming Guadeloupe avoid losing to Mexico, Honduras beats Grenada, US beats/draws Haiti and Panama beats Nicaragua.

If the current 2-1 scoreline in the Haiti-USA game holds, a Honduras win would see a three-way tie for first in Group B.

If teams were level on points, they are ranked on the following criteria in order:[9]

1. Greater number of points in matches between the tied teams (if applicable)

All 3 would have a win and a loss.

2. Greater goal difference in matches between the tied teams (if more than two teams finish equal on points)

USA 3GF 2GA +1 (if 2-1 score holds)

HAI 2GF 2GA 0 (if 2-1 score holds)

HON 1GF 2GA -1

<s>Another goal from Haiti coupled with a win of any kind by Honduras would see the USA finish 3rd in the group. </s>

Edit: Got that one wrong.

A Haiti win by 2 goals or more means they top the group regardless.

A 2 goal loss by the USA means they would finish 2nd and play Canada.

A 3 goal loss and a win by Honduras means the USA finishes 3rd.

I can't get over how uninformed these announcers are on GolTV:

- "Grenada needs at least a point..." hun?

- "Haiti anxiously watching this game, because if Honduras wins they'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if they make the quarters." incorrect, Haiti is already in.

In the last match they kept saying Haiti would win the group if they won the match, that was incorrect because a Honduras win would create a 3-way tie, where goal differential would matter (USA clearly had that).

Sorry, had to vent.

I think Honduras - Grenada is all but in the bag now. At least it will allow us to beat them in a tourney.

On another note, I met a guy at the pub yesterday after the game who's going to email me a bunch of Scottish and Irish 'hate' songs (mostly against the English) that we can adapt. Nothing racist or obviously inappropriate.

If Guadeloupe beats Mexico today (which doesn't seem entirely out of the realm of possibility at the moment) and Panama takes down Nicaragua by 3 or more (2-0 would do it, if Guadeloupe wins 1-0), the other quarterfinal in Canada's half of the bracket would be US-Mexico.

I'd love to see this, considering CONCACAF fixed the groups to in attempt to ensure a US-Mexico final.

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

I can't get over how uninformed these announcers are on GolTV:

- "Grenada needs at least a point..." hun?

- "Haiti anxiously watching this game, because if Honduras wins they'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if they make the quarters." incorrect, Haiti is already in.

In the last match they kept saying Haiti would win the group if they won the match, that was incorrect because a Honduras win would create a 3-way tie, where goal differential would matter (USA clearly had that).

Sorry, had to vent.

They have been atrociously, though comically bad. Add to the fact that they provide commentary to the host broadcast feed, and they are obviously calling matches off a monitor even though they try to persuade us otherwise, it makes you wonder if the organizers themselves take this tournament seriously.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Another mystery red-card. This one on Nicaragua late in the first-half. Panama up 1-nil at halftime.

The Nicaraguan kicked the Panamanian who was down on the ground

with the ball. Should have been a yellow, but the ref thought

it was intentional.

And with Panama up two goals and one man on Nicaragua in the 2nd half, the Jamaicans can go ahead and book their flights home, if they haven't already. If Nicaragua piles on the goals, Mexico will need to get at least a draw with Guadeloupe to avoid finishing 3rd and playing the US.

Disappointing tourney for Jamaica especially after the Jamaican government apparently gave them $12 million to prepare for the tourney after the team's sponsors bailed out. That's part of the problem with the group of death in a tourney where 2 of 3 3rd place teams make it through - the other two groups have 3rd place teams that get to beat up on the weak team of the group & pile up the points, whereas there wasn't a weak team in Group A.

Archived