GOLD CUP results (R)

redhat

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Here are the Haiti-Grenada highlights - check out the second goal and tell me what the last defender was doing:

http://www.goldcup.org/page/GoldCup/Video/HighlightsDetail2/0,,12802~1717306,00.html

I think the same thing that the keeper was doing on the first goal. I think they saw some cute girl in the stands and decided to run towards her instead of keeping their eye on the ball.

US beats Honduras 2-0 so Haiti is now technically in 2nd on goal differential. But Honduras gets to play the pretty woeful without Roberts & Joseph Grenada while Haiti gets to play the US.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Just heard on the USA-Honduras broadcast that Freddie Who had signed with D.C.

Huh? Who would have thought he'd be back in MLS.....

I heard in the FSC broadcast that he was going back to Portugal after the Gold Cup to try to work out another loan deal.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Is it just me that I thought the refereeing in the win by the U.S. over Honduras was inclined favoring the U.S.?

Well, I'm sure the Honduran fans thought so... then again, they're accustomed to receiving a free kick every time one of their players take an outlandish dive after minimal contact.

Is it just me or is anyone else salivating at the chance to take on these 2nd rate squads -- US, Honduras, Mexico???? The US team looks definitely beatable by our GC squad. And they are the best of the bunch in Group B. Mexico looked weak. Haven't seen the French cabana boys in action though.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Is it just me or is anyone else salivating at the chance to take on these 2nd rate squads -- US, Honduras, Mexico???? The US team looks definitely beatable by our GC squad. And they are the best of the bunch in Group B. Mexico looked weak. Haven't seen the French cabana boys in action though.

You're not the only one, Ed! A bunch of us in Winnipeg have been

following the matches together and even planned a road trip to

Chicago <s>if</s> when we make it.

As for Guadeloupe, they're VERY skilled and looked like a French

Ligue 1 team at times. Mid David Fleurival (Mons, FRA) and Loval

(Utrecht, NED) both scored in their match with Panama, making their

opponents look ordinary. And Fleurival was a sub. They have size and

skill, and usually play tough. (I just don't know which Guadeloupe

squad will show up, or maybe the opponents just suck.)

Their GK (Fausta)is already 36, played in the 2007 GC, and plays for a

domestic club.

Glad someone finally mentioned heading down to Chicago. I've been taking a look at air fare. It'll be a bit pricey, but I'd enjoy seeing you guys from the Peg again, along with all others who make the trip down.

For our quarter final (not a jinx, let's give our guys some credit), we should rally and get as many of us down there as possible. Imagine what a boost it would be for them to see a decent sized supporters section at Toyota Park. Let's get mobilized. It may 'only' be the Gold Cup, but who cares! The boys are playing brilliantly, so let's get down there and show them we're behind them 100%!

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Glad someone finally mentioned heading down to Chicago. I've been taking a look at air fare. It'll be a bit pricey, but I'd enjoy seeing you guys from the Peg again, along with all others who make the trip down.

For our quarter final (not a jinx, let's give our guys some credit), we should rally and get as many of us down there as possible. Imagine what a boost it would be for them to see a decent sized supporters section at Toyota Park. Let's get mobilized. It may 'only' be the Gold Cup, but who cares! The boys are playing brilliantly, so let's get down there and show them we're behind them 100%!

The quarterfinals are in Philadelphia and Arlington (Dallas). Also, the games in Chicago will be played at Soldier Field, not Toyota Park.

What an ugly match..from the beginning futbolistically was ****e...the theatrics at the end of the match were worse...hope Canada plays Mexico in the semi's and eliminates them like in the Gold Cup 2000..always priceless to see the Mexican players stunned after that goal.

I enjoyed the futile attempts of the Gold Cup field security trying to calm the Mexican fans down during the last 20 minutes of the game (including that ridiculous 10 minutes of injury time). I was pretty sure the ref was going to call it in the 95th, but luckily he used his head and played the full injury period out.

^ Charming.

I watched the whole match last night and it was a disgrace, almost indicative

of what CONCACAF is notorious for. Fan behaviour, player antics, poor

stadium security, and the fact the refs lost control, overshadowed some flashes

of brilliance of Giovanni Dos Santos' play leading to the first goal, and

Perez strong effort to equalize.

Daily La Prensa from Panama reports that the kicking of Philips was not the first for mexican coach Aguirre. That in 1993 he got into a fight with players of Atletico de Madrid. That in 2001 he ordered one of his Pachuca players to feign an injury so his team would go down to 6 men and end the match. Also that while coaching Atletico in Spain he insulted Marsella player Mathiew Valbuena.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Daily La Prensa from Panama reports that the kicking of Philips was not the first for mexican coach Aguirre. That in 1993 he got into a fight with players of Atletico de Madrid. That in 2001 he ordered one of his Pachuca players to feign an injury so his team would go down to 6 men and end the match. Also that while coaching Atletico in Spain he insulted Marsella player Mathiew Valbuena.

My wife says he looked like an upset Ricardo Montalban or a Latino

Man from Glad (in a dark suit). [}:)]

Archived