Vancouver Island DERBY July 9th

I believe this deserves it's own tread instead of just sticking it under the Highlanders. Well the time has finally come to see both the Highlanders & Victoria United FC in action against each other.

The Victoria Highlanders FC and Victoria United FC are pleased to announce their participation in an exhibition friendly July 9th at 7PM at Langford’s City Centre Stadium. The much anticipated derby match will be the first time the two Victorian clubs have ever faced each other, and it is being dubbed as the Victoria Derby Charity Shield. A percentage of the proceeds will benefit the MS Kick for the Cure.

“We are very pleased to have organized a derby with the Highlanders,” stated Victoria United Chairman Bill McCreadie. “People have approached me and wondered whether the creation of the Highlanders has harmed our organization, on the contrary, I believe that the Highlanders have raised the awareness of Soccer in our community. We fully support their endeavour to bring a higher level of soccer excellence to Greater Victoria, through the USL. This derby match helps demonstrate the co-operation and good spirits between our two clubs.”

Victoria United, who play in the Pacific Coast Soccer League, and the Victoria Highlanders, who play in the United Soccer Leagues PDL Division, currently sit in sixth place in their respective leagues.

“I believe this is a great event for Victoria soccer fans, and shows the harmony of our two soccer clubs,” commented Highlanders General Manager Drew Finerty. “These two organizations are great for local soccer in the community, and this charity shield also provided another opportunity to raise funds for a charity that both organizations firmly support. Members of our team and executive have always valued the Victoria United program and want to make sure that we can continue to hold events such as this together.”

All tickets are valued at $10. Highlanders season ticket holders can keep their seats from the PDL regular season if purchased prior to Tuesday July 7th (also receiving a 15% discount). Tickets are available at the Highlanders office (400 – 1913 Sooke Rd) or by calling 250-590-8432

http://victoriahighlandersfc.com/news.php?newsid=95

Richard could you comment on United's approach towards the game? Meaning will they treat it as fun or actually try to prove the level the PCSL is at? Also was it the clubs initiative to play eachother or the leagues(PCSL or PDL)

Archived