Edmonton V's - Gold Cup Viewing Parties

ESG Shawn

Hey guys,

I know we have had some email discussion with the Edmonton V's in regards to deciding which establishment will be our home for the 2009 Gold Cup.

I have thrown out a few suggestions:

1) E & C on Whyte - We have traditionally gathered here.

2) Shark Club (West End) - Soccer Steve has moved his "operations" here, and I know he has organized the top floor of Shark Club to show TFC on matchdays.

3) Wunderbar on Whyte - see below.

To quote Sergio (River City) from our email thread:

"For the Gold Cup matches, my suggestion is Wunderbar on Whyte Ave (by the A&W). They bought a lot of tickets for the Canada - Mexico game and they have Erdinger Dunkel...although it's $12/bottle. Having said, E&C is under new management, so I think that is still a viable option as it's way more spacious and I think better for us from a recruiting standpoint."

I think we should try to get organized ASAP so we can give the place a heads up, and ensure we get sound on for the matches.

quote:Originally posted by Carl_Valentine

2) Shark Club (West End) - Soccer Steve has moved his "operations" here, and I know he has organized the top floor of Shark Club to show TFC on matchdays.

A message from Soccersteve (July 2):

To all Edmonton based Voyageur members.............I invite you all to Shark Club 17328 Stony Plain Rd, to join with other Canadian fans to support/watch the Canadian national team through out the GOLD CUP !!!

For game time details Please visit - http://www.soccersteve.com/soccernews.php

I look forward to seeing you there & I look forward to showing you the VIP ROOM just for SOCCER...........

Nowadays, I only watch soccer at Shark Club, once you see the place you'll realise why, it's Soccer Heaven, believe me !!

Soccersteve.....Go Canada G0!!

cant make it tonight guys.. im unemployed and broke as balls.. lolz.. anyways ill try to make a few other matches as i dont live far from the sharks club which sounds like a sick place to watch the games.. i also forgot my voyageurs scarfe in saskatoon last winter and would feel naked without it.

Am a long time Voyageur and Canadian footie fan who is visiting family in the True North Strong & Free... mostly in E-town.

Glad to see someone is paying attention since the Edm Journal hasn't.

Go Canada. Hope to make it to the Shark Club for Tuesday maybe.

Not my first choice of venues, but if that's where everyone is going, I'll definitely be there.

Reza and beaches and strobe_z can perhaps shed some light on the support we've received from the community (soccer pubs) in the past as they're the Edmonton V's I first met. My two cents is that we should support whoever can support us the most for future MNT games though.

If the Shark Club is big into soccer, let's try it out and see what they can do for us. But if we're going just because Soccer Steve is there....what can he do to promote the V's, get our numbers up and help sell tickets to the V's section for future games in Edmonton? I ask this as an open ended question not as a knock on him or the Shark Club.

Whichever bar we choose to support as a local organization, we need to ensure it's in a mutually beneficial relationship. Just because the game isn't here, doesn't mean there's nothing for us to do. Just drinking and watching as a group is a huge first step in promoting the group.

quote:Originally posted by Carl_Valentine

I will definitely be at the Shark Club tomorrow for the match. See you guys there.

Steve Wrote................... Carl, I'll see you at SHARK CLUB ( 17328 Stony Plain Rd ( 780 487 4275 & Sandy the owner is totally with us ) I'll be there at 6'ish to catch the 2nd half of Jamaica v Costa Rica........ AND as for recruiting new members to the Voyageurs, that's part of my strategy & I have assembled a firm that may well want to join the RANKS..... SEE YA THERE MATE !!

Soccersteve........

I guess we'll all go to the Shark Club tomorrow and try it out at least. I'll be there and I'm planning to bring a friend.

My thought on the whole thing is really just to go check it out. As far as I'm concerned "Soccer Steve" isn't even affiliated with the Voyageurs let alone a spokesperson or part of the "local leadership" (such as it is...). So if he wants to suggest the Shark Club that's fine, but it's simply a suggestion.

As a "Voyageur" I've watched matches at the following locations:

- Overtime Bar

- The Metro Club

- Elephant & Castle

- The Starlight Room (during the brief existance of the soccer bar downstairs)

The most memorable of those wast Overtime for sure... but that's mainly because we got kicked out for a "Private Function" just before the penalty kicks v. Martinique in Gold Cup 02. Watching 6-8 V's jump in cars, drive like mad and then crowd into a booth at Metro Club just in time to catch the penalty kicks on a 12" t.v. was a bit surreal. Luckily we won the match.

I wouldn't say that any one of those places have really "supported" us though. Elephant & Castle won some points with me during Gold Cup 2003 when they put the Canada/Haiti match that was only available on Satellite on one of the small tv's upstairs while every other tv in the joint was on the Oilers/Ducks mid-season game. Of course there was just me, my wife, some guy from Malawi and his girlfriend watching.

On the other hand, as far as I know, E&C hasn't really "done" anything for us to be honest. I'd be happy to support a smaller joint that might put some effort into it (or at least show us some appreciation). Maybe that'll be the Shark Club, maybe not.

quote:Originally posted by River City

Not my first choice of venues, but if that's where everyone is going, I'll definitely be there.

Reza and beaches and strobe_z can perhaps shed some light on the support we've received from the community (soccer pubs) in the past as they're the Edmonton V's I first met. My two cents is that we should support whoever can support us the most for future MNT games though.

If the Shark Club is big into soccer, let's try it out and see what they can do for us. But if we're going just because Soccer Steve is there....what can he do to promote the V's, get our numbers up and help sell tickets to the V's section for future games in Edmonton? I ask this as an open ended question not as a knock on him or the Shark Club.

Whichever bar we choose to support as a local organization, we need to ensure it's in a mutually beneficial relationship. Just because the game isn't here, doesn't mean there's nothing for us to do. Just drinking and watching as a group is a huge first step in promoting the group.

SOCCERSTEVE WROTE</u>................

To the Voyageur Family.........I will always be straight forward & honest, co's that's just the way I am............I never lie & won't accept one either ..... My integrity is everything to me as yours is to you all !

This is not about me or any one individual....it's about US....You all know I'm PASSIONATELY CANADIAN as are all of YOU.........But I operate inside SHARK CLUB as it's got what we need both now & for the future.........WHEN YOU'RE INSIDE, it's Total Soccer Heaven & it's VIP JUST FOR US.....

I met you guys long ago in the E&C for the first time & I really miss the company of other CANADIAN FANS, when CANADA play.............But the E&C's standards went Terribly offside side with the Beautiful Game long ago & I had no other choice but to leave as those standards, were at an all time low.......This time around I had to find somewhere much better, to attain the standards that we all deserve...........

We won't find better guys...I'm letting you know now. The owner loves us........there's an ensuite patio upstairs ...private washrooms with TV ( you don't miss a minute ).....Great Service just wait, lol..... you'll see what I'm talking about... Great Parking.. Great Food ( big portions, not expensive ) Great selection of brews....... Everything to make the game Great !!!

I have a better time in Shark Club co's I know it cuts it big time & nowadays I'm happy to meet anyone feeling good about the place & it's standards... co's Shark Club..is GREAT !!!

I hope to see you guys there......to connect more Canadian fans together & for you to see what I've found for US in Shark Club !!

Then imagine next years world cup...it's going to be members only upstairs for the big games & The Voyageurs should be front & centre on that score.......... The Voyageurs = The only real CANADIAN soccer fans in this province !!!

Have A Great Day & Don't Let Anyone Bend it UP !!

Soccersteve..........

Nice to see you guys at Shark Club the other night...it's great when you can enjoy with other Canadian fans......This morning on the Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio.................I was talking & promoting the Voyageurs.......that's the first of many promo's to come.....You see having a true soccer fan in the media does have perks with no risks!

This will continue.I'm in discussion with the head guys !!</u>

See ya Friday night for CANADA V Costa Rica...5 pm kick off...

See Ya there.....Soccersteve..Canada & TFC ( RPB Member ) !!!!

Cheers there soccersteve. Maybe some Cdn team supporters wear England jerseys when MC'ing Canada games (Canada vs Honduras, Commonwealth, Sept 2004), not the Voyageurs. Hope you get it right next time.

Archived