Montreal bids for 2011 MLS expansion

Free kick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'm pretty sure that most of the info and quotes are old, and that the writer has rehashed them.

I don't really see any new info in here that might interest us.

Nope; this is new information. Saputo is committed to getting into MLS with Vancouver and Portland in 2011. Moreover, he is convinced that he will be there. The Voyageur's Cup in 2011 will most likely have three MLS participants.

quote:Originally posted by SoccerfanatiQ

By the way they have been playing lately , I think they will need at least 10 new players, because the team we have right now is mostly at USL level. We had the proof against Portland ,who have a few MLS players.

Idle speculation, but: I think Jordan, Grande, Pesoli, Joqueviel, DiLorenzo, and Placentino could play in the MLS. DeRoux and Testo could probably be decent MLS subs. Gjertsen would have had my vote except he's been garbage this season. IMO the Impact would need at least: 3 new wing backs, an attacking center mid, and two real forwards. Not too mention Grande, Jordan, and DiLorenzo will be old farts by that time (assuming the report is true).

quote:Originally posted by brownbear

Nope; this is new information. Saputo is committed to getting into MLS with Vancouver and Portland in 2011. Moreover, he is convinced that he will be there. The Voyageur's Cup in 2011 will most likely have three MLS participants.

Saputo has always said he wants in by 2011.

• 4 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

It's not going to happen for Montreal in 2011...period. If Joey REALLY wanted 2011 entry, he would have ponied up. I would wonder how Portland and Vancouver would vote if it even came down to that. I wouldn't want the expansion draft diluted any further.

Once again, how do you know this?? Do you attend MLS board meetings??

Dude, its an expansion draft !!! Do you really think that these players will make a difference in the first few years of the club? How many expansion draft players are still with TFC?

If it isn't 2011, then so be it. It's no longer a question of "IF" but of "WHEN". Joey mentions, that just like Vancouver and Portland, The Impact do not need 22 players like Philadelphia needs for 2010. 5 to 6 players is all that is needed.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Dude, its an expansion draft !!! Do you really think that these players will make a difference in the first few years of the club? How many expansion draft players are still with TFC?

If it isn't 2011, then so be it. It's no longer a question of "IF" but of "WHEN". Joey mentions, that just like Vancouver and Portland, The Impact do not need 22 players like Philadelphia needs for 2010. 5 to 6 players is all that is needed.

Of the current sad-sack Impact side, more than 5 or 6 players are needed.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I would wonder how Portland and Vancouver would vote if it even came down to that.

It would be awefully self serving and hypocritical if they were to vote against it. Should they even be given a vote? We are taking about a couple of bids who were not the front runners to begin with. The front runner (its pretty well known it was Montreal) bailed because they got cheap, build the wrong facility, had a partner who was short on money, played his cards wrong....etc.

Dont forget that there is now imbalance in the league as far as the conferences.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

It would be awefully self serving and hypocritical if they were to vote against it. Should they even be given a vote? We are taking about a couple of bids who were not the front runners to begin with. The front runner (its pretty well known it was Montreal) bailed because they got cheap, build the wrong facility, had a partner who was short on money, played his cards wrong....etc.

Dont forget that there is now imbalance in the league as far as the conferences.

Conferences can be redesigned. MLS has had three conferences before.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Conferences can be redesigned. MLS has had three conferences before.

True. Even if you look at the present day MLS, there are seven teams in the East of which two (KC and Chi) are really geographically in the mid west and central time zone. With Philly aboard next year, thats eight and six.

with eighteen teams in 2011, you have an automatic six in the pacific coast and time zone.

so it might look like this ( if you go to three divisions):

East

Columbus

DC

New Eng

New York

Philly

TFC

Central

Chicago

KC

Houston

Colorado

RSL

Dallas

Pacific

Vancouver

Portland

San Jose

Seattle

LA Galxy

Chivas

Mtl and Stl could easily be slotted into the East and Central but I dont think that you can move anyone except Toronto if you end up adding Montreal and and say New York or Miami. Even if you go to four divisions at that point, it doen't look good for TO as far as remaining in the east. And I dont think that they'll split CLBand TFC because we keep them afloat :D. I think that its in the clubs best interest to remnain in the East though.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Theres only a few players in the current Montreal squad who can play in MLS. They need to get high impact players. Players who can make an impact right away.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Of the current sad-sack Impact side, more than 5 or 6 players are needed.

The Season isn't over yet. Remeber this is the same Team that made it to the quarter finals of the CCL. There is also alot of time to build a better team between now and 2011 or 2012.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

First of all, everything you write here is absolutely irrelevent. Vancouver and Portland are members of the club as soon as the rest of the owners cash their cheques. How or why Montreal greated up their earlier chance to get in has no bearing on that. Second of all, I am extremely petty and hope that the 'Caps vote against Montreal coming in, at least initially, as retribution for the June 18th gong show.

I can already see the faces of league owners when it comes time to vote over millions more in their pockets and the Caps rep steps up and say's "I vote no because they respected their league before a cup."

quote:Originally posted by Vic

I can already see the faces of league owners when it comes time to vote over millions more in their pockets and the Caps rep steps up and say's "I vote no because they respected their league before a cup."

You should also be dreaming about what their faces will look like, When the TFC rep steps up and say's " We vote yes because we owe the Impact for silverplating our Championship."

quote:Originally posted by Vic

I can already see the faces of league owners when it comes time to vote over millions more in their pockets and the Caps rep steps up and say's "I vote no because they disgraced themselves and undermined the integrity of their own national championship in a manner that proves them to be unworthy of status as a member club of the most prestigious football league in the USA and Canada."

There, fixed your post for you.

Archived