CBC Coverage of Confederations Cup

Portuguese Sensation

I'd like to start out by saying I'm thankful for CBC showing some of the games but I'm a firm believer that you either do it right or not at all.

Three things REALLY irritated me...

1. Failure to show the National Anthems.

Once the players hit the tunnel, the CBC should stop talking and allow the pictures / world feed to take over. I want to see them walk out and I want to hear the National Anthems and see their faces as they focus on the task at hand.

2. Failure to show the Confederations Cup Trophy Presentation

I realize that they showed it on CBCSports.ca but quite frankly, if you're going to show the game on TV then stick with it until it is over. Imagine the uproar if the CBC cut out before the Stanley Cup was awarded.

3. Putting games on CBC Bold

Very VERY few people have CBC Bold (I happen to be one of those few people) and putting a game on there is awful. You saw what happened when they did that with Curling and the uproar it caused... if the CBC even thinks of doing that with the World Cup - they better be prepared for a ton of criticism, phone calls and emails. What a joke.

I don't really care about point number 1 as there wasn't no Canadian Anthem in the Confederation Cup, I agree on point number 2 and I agree more or less (less than more) on point number 3 because I didn't have Bold neither but I now I have it since I wanted to watch Impact on CCL(there's no big deal there).

I'm pretty much with Canucklefan. I don't really care either way about point number 1. Ok, watching the national anthems is preferable to a commercial but that all I can say about the anthems.

Damn I forgot that SRC was carrying the game because I would have liked to see the trophy presentation.

But the in studio commentary is so much more informative and interesting than what we have seen in the past when some other networks carried it. You pretty much knew everything that was going to said by the in studio analysts at TSN when they carried the Euros and the WC. Commentary was bland, sterile and right out of the tournament program or taken the FIFA web page. But at least with CBC you are geting something a little more original even if sometimes you might not agree with it.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I think we should be grateful for the degree of coverage this relatively unimportant tournament received from our national broadcaster. It would have been nice if they had done the same the year when Canada was in it.

Good point. Thankfully Sportsnet showed the matches involving Canada. But nothing of the rest of the tournament. except maybe the final.

the last confed cup - Germany 05 - I believe all the matches were shown by Sportsnet or TSN (can't remember if it is shared).

So, CBC coverage was less - though I understand why. But CBC desparately needs get approval for their sports channel or they should have given the matches not on CBC or Bold to Sportsnet or the Score.

Missing the anthems and the pre-match walk to the field is inexcusable - considering it was replaced by commericials or studio talk.

On the plus side, as someone mentioned, studio commentary had some bite to it vs FIFA approved commentary of Dick Howard. Having someone in South Africa was good and CBC did what they do better than the sports channels - providing background stories beyond the pitch (their Olympic experience helps here).

No big deal.

That was disappointing. If SRC can show it, why not CBC?

I had no problem with them putting games on Bold and GolTV. It's not a major tournament. They were all streamed live. My only complaint is that the semis weren't available live in HD.

It's good that much of the World Cup will be on free TV. If you want to see every game, be prepared to subscribe to Bold or the yet to be launched CBC Sports Plus. CBC has no duty to give World Cup games to TSN or Sportsnet.

4. Studio commentary

Did Jason or Nigel say anything controversial? I thought they were pretty bland.

Great thread Portuguese Sensation. I was going to start the same thing.

The fact that they did not show this really made me mad!! For me, this is an integral part of watching international football. They show the American anthem for a meaningless MLS game that does not involve national team, but they don't do that for the final of a major international competition. (I'm just using the US anthem as an example. Could be the Brazilian anthem, Italian anthem, whatever.)

Plus, by not cutting to the world feed when the players are in the tunnel, we miss the game set up and lineups by the match commentator and get more useless junk from the 2 stooges of Canadian soccer, Russell, Reed and De Vos (well at least 2 stooges, De Vos is alright).

This was really insane! If the game would have gone to extra time (which at one point was looking like a real possibility) they would have had to go long anyways. Block off more time for the game and broadcast it properly.

I don't think this was a big deal for a tournament like this. It would have been nice to see more games on the main network but I won't complain. We know that there will be very few games on Bold in 2010 and that is what really matters.

4. Studio commentary

Please get some real commentators. How in the world has Nigel Reed all of a sudden become the king of Canadian soccer broadcasting? HE IS AWFUL! The only reason he has a job is because of his accent. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against British accents. Give me Dick Howard over Nigel Reed any day. Grahame Leggat got the job done as well.

Totally agree, and I am English, Nigel Reed has been given that job purely because of his upper class twittish accent. CBC coverage of soccer, including TFC is abysmal. Unfortunately Dick Howard's orange hair look probably doesn't go down well with the think-tank guys at the CBC.

Thank God we will have British commentators for the World Cup.

Oh and the TFC broadcasts with their "down to the sidelines" comments, pointless surveys and the amount of times the cameras linger on the coaches or show a replay when the game is going on are just cringeworthy and amateur. Lets roll Graham Leggatt out of retirement. This coverage stinks

What do you guys dislike so much about Nigel Reed? He has a good voice and does a decent play-by-play. I guess I'd prefer a Canadian accent calling Canadian games, but I won't hold it against him.

He doesn't add much as a studio commentator. Bobby McMahon would be better.

quote:Originally posted by red card

Missing the anthems and the pre-match walk to the field is inexcusable - considering it was replaced by commericials or studio talk.

I agree with 50% of that. Running commercials over the anthems is forgivable because it is afterall a business. Having a couple of muppets waffle about in a studio instead of letting us hear the anthems is totally unforgivable and very irritating!

quote:Originally posted by bingham

Totally agree, and I am English, Nigel Reed has been given that job purely because of his upper class twittish accent. CBC coverage of soccer, including TFC is abysmal. Unfortunately Dick Howard's orange hair look probably doesn't go down well with the think-tank guys at the CBC.

Thank God we will have British commentators for the World Cup.

Oh and the TFC broadcasts with their "down to the sidelines" comments, pointless surveys and the amount of times the cameras linger on the coaches or show a replay when the game is going on are just cringeworthy and amateur. Lets roll Graham Leggatt out of retirement. This coverage stinks

Upper class British accents have got to go. This is Canada and after all these years broadcasters still believe British accents sell the game in Canada.

British games with British accents no prob. But for games for the Canadian market..........Canadian broadcasters have to shake the inferiority complex and have Canadian anylists. Make the presentation Canadian.

The same thinking should have CFL games being hosted by guys with Southern US drawls.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Upper class British accents have got to go. This is Canada and after all these years broadcasters still believe British accents sell the game in Canada.

British games with British accents no prob. But for games for the Canadian market..........Canadian broadcasters have to shake the inferiority complex and have Canadian anylists. Make the presentation Canadian.

The same thinking should have CFL games being hosted by guys with Southern US drawls.

All I care about is they use the best person available. And that means someone who is actually in the stadium.

You know over the past 35 years, Canada's TV presentation of soccer has been absolutely abysmal,Vic Rauter is about as exciting as drab wall-paper, Graham Leggat was bland beyond belief, Gerry Dobson has great enthusiasm, but should NEVER be allowed to commentate a soccer match ever again-he is awful.

Sportsnet used to insert commercials during live games ,TSN now run an annoying lower screen score bar, even during the Champions League Final--how bloody immature is that , so I tape the screen, The Score do the same and interrupt the games-christ that is so annoying.

The best are the Brits, Martin Tyler and John Champion, no snooty voices, and there are many excellent Brit side-men.

I have been living in "The World's Soccer Wasteland " for so long, and its' time you looked to the Yanks , and got it right!!

elricko, what do you mean by "looked to the Yanks , and got it right!!"?

You can't really blame the Canadian channels for the 'tickers' at the bottom. TSN gets their signal from ESPN who produces it with the ticker and the CRTC requires The Score to have the ticker and interrupt with updates.

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

elricko, what do you mean by "looked to the Yanks , and got it right!!"?

You can't really blame the Canadian channels for the 'tickers' at the bottom. TSN gets their signal from ESPN who produces it with the ticker and the CRTC requires The Score to have the ticker and interrupt with updates.

In the past 35 years. I have written literally hundreds of letters,sent FAXES, and made, many phone calls complaining of Canada's treatment of soccer...and also received many , many replies from UEFA, CONCACAAF, some EPL teams,various media outlets, the press, TV channels, advertisers,International FA Confederations and associations,etc and quite often I am told one story by the TV stations , and a complete rebuttal by the programme sponsers.

Once I called Sportsnet , they told me that the sponsors insisted that ads are shown DURING matches..then a CEO at MOLSONS phoned me at home , and said , "That is simply not true, the TV stations insist on the interruptions".

If enough people made a statement, got up and did something, then then soccer would receive it's due treatment..but too many people sit back and do nothing.

The first F A Cup Final I watched in Canada in 1975 was on the CBC,they showed approx. 7 mins of live play then a 30 second ad , this on a continual basis throughout the live match...how dumb is that ?

TSN have only recently added the score ticker with Canadian sports scores-why don't they do it during the ice hockey?

TSN at one time inserted ads during live Champions League matches, breaking their agreed contract, and UEFA stopped this practice.

Unfortunately while Canada languish at No. 92, and with little media support, soccer gets poor treatment.

1975... that's 34 years ago. A lot has changed.

You don't see ads during soccer games anymore - and while there is a ticker at the bottom when TSN carries the ESPN Feed or the Score broadcasts a game, that isn't much of a distraction (at least I don't think so). It's like having a score on the screen the entire time... it's useful and doesn't take up much room.

Be thankful that the games are on TV - because some stations could make a very valid arguement to not carry any games due to subpar ratings.

Television coverage has improved drastically over the years and I strongly disagree about your assessment of Vic Rauter. I find him to be a great host.

Knowing some of you guys I am sure that they will persue a job in tv and radio.I have trained or exposed media trainees to the soccer games.The boys and girls at Ryerson taking these courses should include those that played our game and know what the game is all about.In the past a resume with baseball got you a lot farther than soccer,but thanks to MLSE and TFC in particular times are changing.Still soccer is not up there and still is resented for it's popularity and the demands it makes on space.

When TFC played in Montreal,the Sun would not sent anyone because of expenses and yes I have that in writing as well.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

When TFC played in Montreal,the Sun would not sent anyone because of expenses and yes I have that in writing as well.

Makes sense for a company that has a nationwide presence (Sun Media and Canoe online) and can call on locally-based reporters in order to save money in tough times.

Don't see what's wrong with that, but hey-whatever zaps your tinfoil hat.

quote:Originally posted by elricko

In the past 35 years. I have written literally hundreds of letters,sent FAXES, and made, many phone calls complaining of Canada's treatment of soccer...and also received many , many replies from UEFA, CONCACAAF, some EPL teams,various media outlets, the press, TV channels, advertisers,International FA Confederations and associations,etc and quite often I am told one story by the TV stations , and a complete rebuttal by the programme sponsers.

Once I called Sportsnet , they told me that the sponsors insisted that ads are shown DURING matches..then a CEO at MOLSONS phoned me at home , and said , "That is simply not true, the TV stations insist on the interruptions".

If enough people made a statement, got up and did something, then then soccer would receive it's due treatment..but too many people sit back and do nothing.

The first F A Cup Final I watched in Canada in 1975 was on the CBC,they showed approx. 7 mins of live play then a 30 second ad , this on a continual basis throughout the live match...how dumb is that ?

TSN have only recently added the score ticker with Canadian sports scores-why don't they do it during the ice hockey?

TSN at one time inserted ads during live Champions League matches, breaking their agreed contract, and UEFA stopped this practice.

Unfortunately while Canada languish at No. 92, and with little media support, soccer gets poor treatment.

But you didn't answer his question. What do you mean by "look to the Yanks and get it right" ? In Canada you get the World Feed for World Cups and European championships (ie. commentators actually based inside the stadium) , meanwhile in the USA we get Yank broadcasters commentating from a studio in Connecticut.

As Rivaldo rightly implied, most of the things you're complaining about are a result of the way the USA covers soccer (ticker, bad commentators, etc.).

Archived