June 27th - Real Salt Lake vs TFC [R]

I'd say it's about accurate. While you may notice that RSL has a good home record based on the statistics below, it's not that much better than anybody elses. Another point of interest is that TFC's home record is pretty terrible, they have just played more games. So it will be up to the squad to find it's legs on the road for a better part of July and August, which will be a difficult task.

http://web.mlsnet.com/stats/index.jsp?club=mls&year=2009

BTW, the call-ups and other such factors are a legit problem for all MLS teams, Mo Johnston should be considering these things when he's building the roster.

You take O'Brian White in the draft, you know he won't be playing for six months. Does it make sense to sign Sanyang knowing he can't play until his 18th birthday on August first? To cut Rohan Ricketts and Johann Smith before you have any wingers coming in to replace them?

The idea of finding young talent vs. players who can contribute in a league with thin rosters or getting the best player available vs. getting players who can fill a needed role have been out of balance imo.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

I'd say it's about accurate. While you may notice that RSL has a good home record based on the statistics below, it's not that much better than anybody elses. Another point of interest is that TFC's home record is pretty terrible, they have just played more games. So it will be up to the squad to find it's legs on the road for a better part of July and August, which will be a difficult task.

http://web.mlsnet.com/stats/index.jsp?club=mls&year=2009

BTW, the call-ups and other such factors are a legit problem for all MLS teams, Mo Johnston should be considering these things when he's building the roster.

You take O'Brian White in the draft, you know he won't be playing for six months. Does it make sense to sign Sanyang knowing he can't play until his 18th birthday on August first? To cut Rohan Ricketts and Johann Smith before you have any wingers coming in to replace them?

The idea of finding young talent vs. players who can contribute in a league with thin rosters or getting the best player available vs. getting players who can fill a needed role have been out of balance imo.

The problem with blaming injuries/call ups for Toronto's depth situation is that the area of the team where they are most clearly hurting (midfield) is basically intact. That they are short bodies in that area can and should be blamed entirely on Mo.

Like you said, he should have had a little foresight when building his roster. The only key player missing right now is Wynne, and he has been more than adequately replaced by Nana. The other holes in the roster are a result of poor timing and bad management. Compared to other MLS teams, the effect of the Gold Cup on TFC will be minimal, so they have no excuses going forward.

As for the heat, the broadcast said it was 78F (25C) at kickoff, which is nothing they shouldn't be able to handle.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Thanks for reminding me why I passed up the chance to be a moderator on the Canadian subforums on Bigsoccer a few weeks back when the powers that be there were looking to revamp their Canadian content. Life is too short. Newsflash for you. People who play and coach professionally within the game are not likely to take something mentioned speculatively as a possibility on a relatively obscure internet forum seriously.

What the hell is the point of this post?

As for the game, I expected a loss last night, even an ugly loss.

The tail end of a very hectic schedule, three days after the last game, having to travel, playing at altitude, many key players nowhere near 100%. It all added up to a disappointing night.

I was hopeful that TFC would surprise me, and they did for the first 20 minutes of the game. After the goal you could almost hear the team spirit deflate, and from there it was all downhill.

Thankfully they now have a two week break to recharge and regroup for the next hectic stretch in late July.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

What the hell is the point of this post?

As for the game, I expected a loss last night, even an ugly loss.

The tail end of a very hectic schedule, three days after the last game, having to travel, playing at altitude, many key players nowhere near 100%. It all added up to a disappointing night.

I was hopeful that TFC would surprise me, and they did for the first 20 minutes of the game. After the goal you could almost hear the team spirit deflate, and from there it was all downhill.

Thankfully they now have a two week break to recharge and regroup for the next hectic stretch in late July.

They better get used to it if they make the group stage of the CCL...

quote:Originally posted by kyam

This is like the 4th game in 2 weeks... This is an exhausted team playing in a stadium that has been a fortress for RSL. Poor performance, but tough situation.

Four games (360 minutes playing time) in 14 days... exhausted! Rubbish.

If they really are exhausted then there is something seriously wrong with the preparation and/or mental attitude of these professional, fulltime athletes.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Four games (360 minutes playing time) in 14 days... exhausted! Rubbish.

If they really are exhausted then there is something seriously wrong with the preparation and/or mental attitude of these professional, fulltime athletes.

I love the simplistic way you tend to look at just about everything.

I love the simplistic way you tend to look at just about everything.

If the team had a full 24 player roster at its disposal, I would agree with Richard. If pro players, with nothing to worry about it other than readying themselves for the next match, can't play 3 games in 9 days or 4 games in 12, then the staff charged with preparing them isn't doing their job. However, they are clearly short players and completely lacking in quality depth. This team will only go so far as their top 13-14 players' legs will carry them and I just don't think they've got enough.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

If the team had a full 24 player roster at its disposal, I would agree with Richard. If pro players, with nothing to worry about it other than readying themselves for the next match, can't play 3 games in 9 days or 4 games in 12, then the staff charged with preparing them isn't doing their job. However, they are clearly short players and completely lacking in quality depth. This team will only go so far as their top 13-14 players' legs will carry them and I just don't think they've got enough.

I agree, the team is hurting for depth right now, which is the real reason they were showing signs of exhaustion yesterday.

You'd have to think that some more players are coming in, with all of the cutting going on. Ali Gerba and O'Brian White will help matters, but they still need some midfield and defensive cover.

^ Gerba will help likely.

I'm not sure exactly why people have such high hopes for O'brien White. the guy hasn't played in almost 9 months and people I respect, who know the college game very well, do not believe he is an "immediate impact" type of player.

From what I've been told, it was always believed he would need at least 1 full year under his belt in MLS before his game starts to evolve and he becomes an effective pro. Right now, I don't consider him more than just another warm body on the bench.

If this was my team, I would be looking to loan him out to USL so he can get some high intensity competition.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I'm not sure exactly why people have such high hopes for O'brien White. the guy hasn't played in almost 9 months and people I respect, who know the college game very well, do not believe he is an "immediate impact" type of player.

Suppose you need to draw a distinction here between hopes and expectations. People have high hopes because Barrett and Vitti are not providing the goals that were anticipated and he was selected fourth in the same round as Cronin and Frei, who are both regular starters now in their first year in the league. I suspect very few know what to expect from him.

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

They better get used to it if they make the group stage of the CCL...

Two games a week with plenty of air travel is nothing out of the ordinary for top European clubs and Paul Winsper is alleged to be the top fitness dude in MLS. Some people are too quick to accept excuses. A similar dismal performance in Houston came after a full week's break recently. It's quite possible that Cummins like Carver is basically clueless tactically when a more Latin possession style is called for by the conditions in the summer months and that beating a pathetic NYRB team and a weakened Impact squad gave people a false sense of where the team was at. In the first 20 minutes I was surprised by how much running was being done off the ball in RSL's half whenever RSL had possession and was not shocked that they were unable to keep that going for the full 90.

I suspect you probably see this stuff as a way to ingratiate yourself with TFC management where future employment opportunities are concerned. Couldn't really give a toss to be honest, however.

Were you not the one who said that the team would hardly take notice of posts in an obscure internet forum? Yet now you're hypothesizing that he's angling for a job through his postings?

Am I missing something here?

Two games a week with plenty of air travel is nothing out of the ordinary for top European clubs.

In case you haven't noticed, TFC is not a 'top European club'.

Even if their roster was full, it would still be much thinner than a side like Manchester United or Barcelona. How many players do those sides have on the books? 30? 40?

TFC has 21 at the moment, with a huge dropoff between the top tier and the filler, so there really is no comparison in that regard.

That said, Toronto needs to maximize its roster so it at least has a fighting chance in these tail-end games, as they are facing sides (in MLS) with similar restrictions.

In case you haven't noticed, TFC is not a 'top European club'.

10 out of 10 for observation, Rudi, but not all of those top European clubs do the squad rotation thing and you are ignoring the point that it doesn't account so easily for what went wrong in Houston.

On the other issue as recently as two season ago Ives Galarcep wrote this blog entry:-

http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/2007/05/chivas_usa_dump.html

Guevara is clearly a player of great skill who needs to be handled carefully by management. Pointing that out is simply the reality of the situation not some kind of heretical fantasy. I am not egotistical enough to think that posting this link on here will have an influence on what happens in the TFC locker or on how Amado Guevara is viewed around the league. Judging by the page view statistics, this subforum is a case of 10 to 15 people having a conversation about the games they watch and what management should do next and maybe another 30 to 40 regulars in lurk mode. Others seem to think it matters like a high circulation newspaper story would and can have wider consequences on that basis and should be taken really seriously.

I'll take that as an indirect admission that you can't address the points about the performance in the Houston game being similar despite a week's break and that certain individuals take the significance of posting here a bit too seriously.

You can take it however you want.

There's very little point debating you when clearly you know everything.

Archived