June 27th - Real Salt Lake vs TFC [R]

If it wasn't for a superb save by Frei it'd be 3-0 right now.

Good cutting ball between 2 TFC defenders by Mathis on the second goal.

Dobber saying that Kreis called Will Johnson one of the best players on their team. He's played every minute of every game since he joined them last summer.

Not TFC's finest moment. They need to start showing up against real teams. Second string Impact and New York are not a real test.

DeRosario does well to draw several players to him, but NEVER lays off the ball. Pass the freakin ball, DeRo! To be fair, it is hard to say if anyone is ever open for a pass, but I'm getting tired of the one man show--especially when it isn't much of a show.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Now 2-0 for RSL. Not Carl Robinson's finest moment.

That one won't go down as Sam Cronin's finest moment either, since he decided to mark the net for some reason instead of Beckerman, who was his man.

I've not had too much problem with Cummins' tactics up til now but taking Vitting off for Velez when we were two goals down made little sense to me. I realize his options are limited at the moment with such a small roster, but I'd have just let Vitti out there, or brought Ibrahim in first.

Overall, not a game to cherish by any means.

His argument on the Velez for Vitti sub would probably be that a 3-5-2 is a more attacking formation but the manner in which the third goal unfolded shouldn't have been a surprise. The player who anchors the three has to have close to Marvel Wynne type pace if the other two lack it. Garcia doesn't. Ibrahim for either Vitti or Barrett would make more sense. Also found Guevara being off at the half mildly surprising as well given he can turn a game with his skill at any moment even when he is having an off day. May have simply been to avoid him getting a red but the other more ominous possibility is that things got a bit heated at half time between him and Cummins.

His argument on the Velez for Vitti sub would probably be that a 3-5-2 is a more attacking formation but the manner in which the third goal unfolded shouldn't have been a surprise. The player who anchors the three has to have close to Marvel Wynne type pace if the other two lack it. Garcia doesn't. Ibrahim for either Vitti or Barrett would make more sense. Also found Guevara being off at the half mildly surprising as well given he can turn a game with his skill at any moment even when he is having an off day. May have simply been to avoid him getting a red but the other more ominous possibility is that things got a bit heated at half time between him and Cummins.

Well, it turns out that Amado didn't play in the second half due to a recurrence of the ankle injury that he played through against Montreal and NYRB.

We can put the fantasy of a dispute with Cummins to bed.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=834

db

Something mentioned as a "possibility" becomes a "fantasy". Funny what a bit of personal animosity can do sometimes. Anybody who thinks that things don't get a bit heated sometimes in dressing rooms when a team is 2-0 down at half-time after conceding a couple of bad goals has obviously never played the game beyond house league level.

Something mentioned as a "possibility" becomes a "fantasy". Funny what a bit of personal animosity can do sometimes. Anybody who thinks that fights don't sometimes break out in dressing rooms when a team is 2-0 down at half-time after conceding a couple of bad goals has obviously never played the game beyond house league level.

I think you were stretching via speculation with no evidence to support the line of reasoning.

It's not like his ankle injury has been a secret after all. My first reaction to his substitution was disappointment. My second reaction was concern for his ankle.

To speculate that he had a problem with Cummins does nothing more than further ensconce his reputation for being a troublemaker, something that has not been an issue at all here in Toronto.

I've never seen a team play so lackluster on the road. What honestly happens to them when they go on the road? Terrible passing, no organization on the field, and they seem to turtle something awful offensively. With so few home dates left, getting points on the road means everything.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

To speculate that he had a problem with Cummins does nothing more than further ensconce his reputation for being a troublemaker, something that has not been an issue at all here in Toronto.

Thanks for reminding me why I passed up the chance to be a moderator on the Canadian subforums on Bigsoccer a few weeks back when the powers that be there were looking to revamp their Canadian content. Life is too short. Newsflash for you. People who play and coach professionally within the game are not likely to take something mentioned speculatively as a possibility on a relatively obscure internet forum seriously.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

With so few home dates left, getting points on the road means everything.

Hopefully a couple of signings between now and the San Jose game and adding Gerba and White into the mix up front will help. The team is best suited for a high tempo style so I suspect the next six games could be a bit of a struggle and things will then pick up after that. Think there would need to be 4 or 5 more points in the bag right now to be confident about making the playoffs. 1 point out of 6 versus FC Dallas under John Carver put a big dent in things.

I've never seen a team play so lackluster on the road. What honestly happens to them when they go on the road? Terrible passing, no organization on the field, and they seem to turtle something awful offensively. With so few home dates left, getting points on the road means everything.

I suspect the issue is the "MoJoRio" effect, if you can get Mo to stay home from road trips the team might perform much better. Too much "family" not enough get the job done. Shake up the room assignments and you might get a bit more on the road focus, if too many of the guys have been rooming too long and they have "wrong" focus it leads to a lacklustre performance.

They feel anonymous in an away city and they lose focus.

Cummins needs to address it, its not just an on field issue, its a travel issue.

This is like the 4th game in 2 weeks... This is an exhausted team playing in a stadium that has been a fortress for RSL. Poor performance, but tough situation.

quote:Originally posted by kyam

This is like the 4th game in 2 weeks... This is an exhausted team playing in a stadium that has been a fortress for RSL. Poor performance, but tough situation.

If they can't handle 4 games in 2 weeks, they are sunk once CCL play starts. Sure they've had a few fixtures lately, but if they had any kind of depth it wouldn't be a problem. Compare this to, say, Montreal's late-season schedule last season, and TFC's hardly seems congested at all.

Don't give them excuses.

Is it my imagination, or does the defence/midfield slip into some kind of zone formation after going down a goal? Prior to that, TFC (as well as RSL) were playing man-to-man, and this was working well. RSL may have scouted this and the third goal saw Mathis in wide open space at the end of an accurate diagonal pass, as the TFC back line anticipated a ball up the centre.

Gerry D also commented that a Frei goal kick found an RSL player on his own, with no one from TFC bothering to be where the ball landed, and the resulting clearing header was quickly back in the TFC half.

I wonder how TFC will actually do in the CCL with our roster. Can somebody clarify the squad restrictions in the MLS compared to the USL? What are the restrictions for MLS teams? 25 man roster max?

I know that whenever a team ascends to any continental tournament they are forced to increase their squad. For me it is clear that the MLS doesn't care about the CCL when they really should. An MLS side hasn't won since the LA Galaxy in 2000. If the MLS wants to consider itself as a top league in our region they will have to win the CCL. Not only that, but its the only way that mexican teams will start taking the tournament more seriously. Up until now the Copa Libertadores is really the only continental championship that mexican teams care about.

typical poor performance by TFC on the road.

I wonder how many people who started jumping back onto the bandwagon are now lacing up their boots for the inevitable jump back off the bandwagon.

That was one terrible football match.

Poor match, looked like a very tired squad. I agree with GL about Velez for Vitti change

at a crucial point in the match. What was Cummins' rationale? And again Velez got burned on

the inside several times.

Frei I thought was off his match, and even got away with a backpass early in the game.

Guevara's bonehead pass to Garcia subsequently led to an RSL goal. Was it the heat?

The efforts of DDR and Nana were not enough to make up for the lacklustre performances

of Barrett, Robinson, Cronin, Brennan, and Frei.

Brutal, must be the heat ...

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Brutal, must be the heat ...

Maybe this is a sign that TFC is really not competitive with the best teams in the league. They were playing like crap until they got lucky and the schedule gods gave them two game vs. NYRB and an unmotivated opponent in that game vs. the Impact.

I'm sure 3 games in 9 days is not easy and clearly it was hot last night but that effort was reminiscent of the matches they played leading up to their 3 game winning streak.

I doubt that.

The thing is, it's almost impossible to win in Salt Lake as it is. Salt Lake almost never loses at home. I expected a draw at best last night and was not really shocked by the play in Salt Lake.

For the record, due to injuries, confed cup and transfer rules, TFC only has 17 people that they can put on the field. 24 Man Roster, 21 people on, 4 injured/away/ineligible. We need to pick some players up, especially in that midfield. De Ro is clearly hurt (you could notice a limp throughout that game) and Guevara is older. These guys can't be starting every game if they're not fit.

Archived