C.S.A. 2008 Annual Report

The Ref

Page 13 of the report has a brief parragraph of Ian Bridge's assessment of the U20 performance at the WC in Chile.

"In my overall assessment of this program, at the highest level our players are, in general, technically behind their international counterparts. As a team, the group lacked the International competition necessary to prepare for a World event. However, the senior women’s program will benefit from the graduation of four to five of these players. When we consider that two senior team members were eligible for this squad, but did not participate, the investment in the long term may yet prove a successful one."

The team we beat in the qualifying CONCACAF final won the tournament. How "technically behind" is that?

Name me one country in Chile that didn't have their best players on the field.

Name me one country that took their countries best U17 player away from their U17 program.

Name me one country that ejected their coach one month before the event.

There's your fair assessment.

^ Agreed on one game's results. We won the CONCACAF tournament beating Jamaica, Costa Rica, Mexico and the USA and outscoring them 9-2. Between then and the World Cup we beat England 2-0 on neutral ground and both tied 1-1 and narrowly lost 0-1 to the best team in the world both on their home turf, and with that one loss being our only loss between CONCACAF and World Cup. You don't pull a run of results like that with a big technical lemon tattoo'd on your forehead.

Are we technically behind? Of course. We'll always be. We're 30 million people without a dime in our pockets in a Northern climate. But anyone saying that is the excuse and the story here obviously isn't paying enough attention to the facts or looking hard enough for the answers.

No one really wants to look hard for the answers, Vic, because they will quickly become frustrated.

Until the CSA finds proper funding for player development, coaching education, referee improvement and facility growth, we will lag behind our competition.

I think facility-wise this is not an excuse any longer. We have excellent and numerous indoor facilities in all major cities for winter training/playing.

What we need is money $$$, more scouting and NT camps starting at a younger age, and getting players int'l exposure at a younger age. Here we are way behind...

quote:Originally posted by Soccer9

I think facility-wise this is not an excuse any longer. We have excellent and numerous indoor facilities in all major cities for winter training/playing.

What we need is money $$$, more scouting and NT camps starting at a younger age, and getting players int'l exposure at a younger age. Here we are way behind...

Add to the scouting process more coaches that know what to look for and some ways to enable and support the families of young talented girls so they can attend camps regularly.

Archived