F/O Elections?

quote:Originally posted by REDSequalCANADA

Buy it?

I'm a student, can't even afford wonder bread! Gotta wonder what it tastes like!

TFC is franchise. It was bought by MLSEL and they owns 100% of it and all the profits accrue to MLSEL and MLS. So why would they give anyone else ( who has'nt invested a cent nor is responsible for any cost) have a vote on who runs the club or who should be appointed to run the club?

It's not possible to do like Real Madrid in the pro sports model that we have in North america. I am not even sure that that is desirable or even better.

quote:Originally posted by TFCRegina

Categorical NO!

If TFC fans had their way, this club would be run into the ground on a lack of patience. This is coming from a TFC fan...if the manager isn't producing he'll get sacked by the owners.

Agreed. fans are too far removed from the operations side of the business to really know whats happening. So they should not have say. Only people who have invested $$$ ( shareholders) should have a say.

Too often, when these topic crop up in these forums, you see a lot of romanticism in regards to how things are done in Europe. But there is no asking whether its actually better for the game, the sport or the fans the different way professional sports organizations are legally recognized in North america versus Europe .

quote:Originally posted by REDSequalCANADA

I beleive that's why My Toronto Sports teams are where they are!

Don't ya think!

Sorry but that's the way it works in a capitalist society. Professional sports teams in NA are private businesses. The shareholders or owners decide who is in charge.

The fans are customers, and they have no more right to to elect an F/O than you have to elect a director/executive/CEO etc at Walmart, MacDonalds, or Tim Horton's. Just because you shop at Walmarts or eat at Macdonalds or Tim Hortons, does that mean that you have a vote in electing their F/O?

TO sports teams are no different than anywhere else. You do have say as consumers or fans. And that is in your decision to buy or not buy a ticket.

Drew Carey's idea was an election every four years on the GM. A four year time span takes care of the lack of patience argument given it is 80% of Mo's "5 year plan". It also is different from the Spanish scenario (something Carey does not make clear when he is on talk shows) in that the I/O, Tom Anselmni and Paul Beirne side of the operation is in no way under threat from it. My only concern would be the effect it would have on the way the GM does their job when the election is imminent.

I had forgotten about Seattle. It remains to be seen how that will turn out. But I am skeptical. Specifically, who gets to vote? who needs to be elected? when the elections take place?

You cant have elections for someone who ultimately has to report to someone who is not elected. The buck has to stop with the guy who doesn't have to be elected and put up his/her own $$$ for the business. So think about how that will ultimately end up.

In publicly-traded corporations elections are held by shareholders to put in place board members. But the shareholders are ultimately concerned with return on investment. You elect public officials to ensure that power ultimately rests with the citizens and to prevent abuse of power. But in a business like Seattle, you have power, the power to purchase or not purchase a ticket. Problem with a vote for this kind of this situation is that a club is a results oriented business and whereas governments don't have clear cut win loss records to give you. So what do you vote on, profitabity, results on the pitch, or the fact that the signed a popular player.

Funny but, from a distance, Real Madrid strike me a perfect example of whats wrong with a voting system in that their decision are populist based rather than based on efficiencies and effectiveness.

Guest Jeffery S.

Elections are only taking place in Spain with those teams not required to become what is known as a Sports Company (Sociedad Anónima Deportiva), in a rough translation.

Regardless of the mentality of Florentino Pérez at Madrid, the positive thing about the internal democracy is club member pressure meant that they got rid of their previous president Calderón, who was a crook who tried to fix votes in the General Assembly and used club money to pay ridiculous commissions to agents.

It depends to what degree voting club members are able to express club values. At Barça there is a high demand to develop and play talent from the academy on the first team, and it has worked out well: in the Champions final we played Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi, and Pedrito came on in the last minute. But there is no question that if we did not get results that way, if the coach felt the talent was not there, we'd sign foreigners and try to win any possible way.

The essential problem with voting in the North American system is that there is no tradition of doing it, you'd have to cultivate the mentality, and even then, as said, populist impulses could force changes that were detrimental to the team. The risk of democracy in results oriented sport, which is why the enlightened dictatorships of NA pro franchises is not necessary a worse system. In the end, as TFC fans are proving, if you pressure for things you value you will be heard, and no club president or owner wants to hear their name derided publicly for not reacting to the failures and foibles the fans complain about.

Archived